I Don't Know What To Say ...

Steinhauer

Reaction score
A friend I grew up with committed suicide last week. I cannot describe how I am feeling about this. First of all, he was more like my little brother - in fact, I loved him like he was a brother. My mother, when she heard the news, broke down and cried - she got on to him like he was one of her own when we were kids.

I have had friends contacting me that I have not spoken to in years .... all of us are shook up by this.

He has 4 kids. His wife .... I had never seen so much pain before. His entire family was completely devastated.

He was an 82nd Airborne Ranger. He was tough. Do you know what they do to you in Ranger school? If not, look it up .... my brother was NOT a coward. He was NOT weak. For some reason, he gave up on life and no one knows why.

If you are thinking about suicide, and you think your family and friends are better off without you - YOU ARE WRONG!!! I have never seen so much heartbreak in all of my life. Nothing prepared me for this. Call somebody, get help, reach out to someone.

/rant over

I am so sorry that this happened to you. May your friend RIP.

My middle school classmate hanged herself after breaking up her boyfriend of two weeks.

I'm sick of someone threatening to do suicide and its not addressed everyday. Everywhere

I am really sorry to hear of your dear friend's death . I know there is really no way for anyone to really understand why a person will take their own life.
Your friend really had to been suffering in some way and I hope he is at peace now. My condolences to you .

Ohhh...I'm so sorry, Stein, my heart goes out to you and the family!:cry: :grouphug:

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Like WDYS wrote, there is no way to understand motives behind suicide.
But usually it's screwed up biochemistry in the brain,
something no amount of talking, explaining or guilt-tripping will have any effect on.
It's like broken bones or cancer etc - it's just sickness. it can not be talked out or convinced to go away.
very, very tough on the living as well.
You and your friend's family have my deepest sympathies.

Fuzzy

RIP my brother - may you find consolation wherever you are that you could not find here

His children were trying to stay brave for their mom. She broke down and had to be carried. His mother passed out at the funeral and had to be taken to the hospital. The funeral was held (will not name location or name names ) at a place where the guys who go and kill terrorists hang out. It was wall to wall serious bad asses. His kids did not want to cry in front of all those tough guys - one tried to run off and hide so he could melt down.

I followed him and asked him if it was ok for me to stay with him and he just said "please don't leave" then he broke down. All i could do was hug him and say "I loved your daddy too".

THIS HURTS!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. Send my condolences to you.

This was his smile when he was up to no good. Something I recognized when we were kids:

One day, we were both fishing in a creek when he asked me if I wanted to see something funny. He then swam across the creek, and hid in the woods along a golf course fairway, of course, I went right along with him. He waited .... and waited ... until someone hit a perfect drive down the fairway. He then bolted out of the woods and grabbed the golf ball and threw it back at the golfer.

I still laugh when I think about it.

The golfers got so friggin mad.

He then went around the golf course, stealthily of course, and rearranged all the hole numbers - hilarity ensued.

man, oh man, I am flooded with memories.

I'm so sorry.

One of my husband's best friends committed suicide Thanksgiving night last year. He had been battling depression for years. We all worried about him. After not hearing from him through the Thanksgiving weekend, one of my husband's other best friend went over to his house to check on him, and found him dead. Still feeling sick over it to this day because he used to stop by our house so often it feels weird to not see him stop by. He loved agate rock hunting and we did that together, I have a whole vase of agates (and other cool rocks) from when I was building my house and what I found when rock hunting with Keith. Those kind of memories stay with you for always. He was 39.

I'm so sorry.

One of my husband's best friends committed suicide Thanksgiving night last year. He had been battling depression for years. We all worried about him. After not hearing from him through the Thanksgiving weekend, one of my husband's other best friend went over to his house to check on him, and found him dead. Still feeling sick over it to this day because he used to stop by our house so often it feels weird to not see him stop by. He loved agate rock hunting and we did that together, I have a whole vase of agates (and other cool rocks) from when I was building my house and what I found when rock hunting with Keith. Those kind of memories stay with you for always. He was 39.

Thank you for sharing that.

I am finding out all kinds of things about my friend that I didn't know. He and his wife were having problems, he got in a bar brawl last year and was put on 2 years of probation, then got a DUI last month while driving his company's truck - fired instantly, and because he was on probation, was put in jail. It had only been a couple of days of him being out of jail that he ended his life.

I knew him when we were kids transitioning into adults. We stayed in touch over the years, and he didn't tell me those things. I wish he had. When I went to his funeral, I felt I had arrived 4 days too late. Life does not have a rewind button.

sorry about your loss.

Not everyone can go through Ranger school. But it is need to stay in the 75th Regiment or for promotion for Infantry branch officers. One can say one has the guts to try it out. So no shame.

Sadly there is a high suicide rate in the military, more needs to be done to help our troops when they come back home . :(

Back