I disagree with this CI surgeon predicting stem cells in 15 years

The money I have saved is for stem cells, not more classes. I can learn about hearing loss online and by participating in message boards. I have a long thread on cochlear dead regions and hearing loss to speech scores

With the amount of time you spend learning about hearing loss, you probably would have graduated with a pHd in audiology by now. With a degree in that field, you would probably be taken more seriously than you are now.

I agree with Shel, Alicia, Mrs. Bucket, Grenda and Lissa.

DD need to be educate at college instead make up his own mind. He think deafness is a disease. It's not. Stem cell can cure for disease condition of vision, Pakistan, Bone marrow, Leumkia, spinal injury and other. Deafness isn't a disease.

The best is option for deaf people to get HA/CI only. And not want to have HA/CI and stem cell. That's people's choice not DD's. He is obsessive with HA and stem cell not CI. He didn't understand about CI. The CI is a cyborg, bionic as a robot. He is obsessive with stem cell and robot. He don't believe in CI. CI is a BIONIC and CYBORG to use tool for hear. That's not make any sense to me.

Cool website with lots and lots of good info

Virginia Merril Bloedel Hearing Research Center - Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration

You can google it as well just look up: Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Institute

The late deafened heiress of the Bloedel logging fortune she gave the funds to the University of Washington to create this research institute years ago. They have put up an extra good website with lots of good articles and research information about what they are doing with hair cell regeneration and other things. Lots of good links as well.

Here's the thing about all the Stem Cell discussions. I've refrained from replying much about it but there's one thing I don't see mentioned as often as it should.

First of all it will be great when and if this is ever worked out and can give people the ability to hear again. So I'm all for the research on it and I do hope someday it is possible. Not just for deafness but for all of it's potential possibilities. But since this is a forum about deafness and hearing loss I'll only share my thoughts on that issue of it alone.

From what I've read the earliest "Prediction" for when this might be possible is about 10 years. Some say less and some say more but that's seems to be about the average "hopeful" time line. There's one thing everyone should keep in mind though. Even if they announce tomorrow that they have cure the deafness in a number of mice and even some humans. Even if after you get done reading this post you read AOL or Yahoo news or find it on the evening news on TV. This would not mean you or anyone you know will be able to have this procedure done to you anytime soon.

First it would require a long time trial. Just because they where able to make it work doesn't mean it's going to work for long. Imagine someone who stem cells has given the ability to hear then in a few weeks, months or even years later those cells died out again. Where they "Cured"? Would this mean they where successful? No, it would not be successful. It would be a great start but the research would not be over and this process would not be approved and made available to the general public. So for those of you waiting for this to become a reality. You're in for a very long wait regardless of how much progress they are making right now. Like I said, even if it was "Solved" tomorrow you'll still be in for along wait before it's available to you.

There's is more then the science standing in your way as well. It's no secret that this will also have other issues like politics and religion standing it it's way. While I don't think politics or religion should stand in it's way. My eyes are open enough to the world to know that there are going to be people out there against this and want to keep it from happening.

So I wouldn't hold my breath for stem cells to be available to cure anyone's hearing soon. I think it will be great when it can but I don't see it being talked about with audiologist as a possibility in the near future.

Stem cell can cure for disease condition of vision, Pakistan, Bone marrow, Leumkia, spinal injury and other
What's Pakistan? But yeah..........I have to say that the conditions most likely to be cured/treated by stem cells are the autoimmune ones.
There IS autoimmine hearing loss, (isn't Meniere's autoimmune?) and it's very likely that will be able to be cured or treated by stem cell.
I think the stem cell clinics are being misleading by claiming that they'll be able to treat/cure ALL hearing loss.
Were you aware that Chloe had autoimmune hearing loss? She was late deafened AND autoimmune......two major pluses on her side. Autoimmune hearing loss can respond well to treatment....meaning people with it can see an improvment in their audiograms

Oh geez..the cure for hearing loss is never-ending. People arent dying from it..geez!

Oh geez..the cure for hearing loss is never-ending. People arent dying from it..geez!
Neither are people with vision problems yet we see miracles of adult stem cells happening.

British scientists have used stem cells to restored good vision to eight people who had lost sight in one eye, the Financial Times reports.

Stem cells were extracted from the cornea of a patient's good eye, cultured in a lab and then transplanted into the damaged eye, restoring the cornea. The technique is not suitable for blindness caused by retinal damage.

Russell Turnbull's right eye was burned and scarred when ammonia was thrown in his face 15 years ago, leaving him with 10% vision in the damaged eye. He said the operation has improved his eye sight to 90%.
Stem cells used to restore eyesight in 8 patients -

What's Pakistan? But yeah..........I have to say that the conditions most likely to be cured/treated by stem cells are the autoimmune ones.
There IS autoimmine hearing loss, (isn't Meniere's autoimmune?) and it's very likely that will be able to be cured or treated by stem cell.
I think the stem cell clinics are being misleading by claiming that they'll be able to treat/cure ALL hearing loss.
Were you aware that Chloe had autoimmune hearing loss? She was late deafened AND autoimmune......two major pluses on her side. Autoimmune hearing loss can respond well to treatment....meaning people with it can see an improvment in their audiograms

I found it out. That is not source about Chloe's.

Neither are people with vision problems yet we see miracles of adult stem cells happening.

Stem cells used to restore eyesight in 8 patients -

Yes. I know that. I want to get one for my retina disease. I rather wait until 5 more years later to see people's report of receipts to see it's improve in their visions.

And retina implant and stem cell for retina to improve of large numbers like cochlear implant about 100,000 over receipts. I felt so confidence to get CI. But I doubt about hearing loss cure by stem cell.

I find it very hard to believe RNL's claims. 50% recovery of hearing loss - by which measure? Speech perception, puretone thresholds etc etc. Without evidence their claims have no useful meaning.

Resolution- The majority of the general public has no idea how to interpret let alone deduce one's hearing loss via audiograms and they have no idea what dB is or how it relates to normal hearing vs. hearing loss. Using percentages actually carries meaning for normal people and they can relate to "50% hearing loss" vs. "She had a 50 dB hearing loss on an audiogram that ranges from -5 dB ---> 120 dB." The last statement would confuse about 95% of the general population.

THANK YOU Resolution!!!!!!! I KNOW it's very sketchy.
Anyone else think stemcellsdeaf is some sort of PR person for the stem cell clinics?
They even have broken English, which does NOT impress me.
Yes, Chloe's case could be real......but you have to remember that it was AUTOIMMUNE........As I've repeatly said autoimmune is very responsive to treatment to things like steriods etc. Just b/c she got treated with stem cells it doesn't mean that the stem cells were the cause of her improved hearing. She could have been treated with steriods and that could have been the reason for the improvement! Plus, if this is legit then how come it hasn't been all over the mainstream news?

I know, but 50% of what? It doesn't mean anything. It's like they gave some results to the marketing people, and they turned it into a number.

I find it very hard to believe RNL's claims. 50% recovery of hearing loss - by which measure? Speech perception, puretone thresholds etc etc. Without evidence their claims have no useful meaning.

I have been in contact with RNL and know all the facts. Chloe can hear without HAs. Her good ear is at 90% of normal(which in animal studies, represents ~25db HL) and her bad ear is at 50% of normal(which on a Google search, is sometimes interchangable with a 50db HL) She can hear phones in her good ear as well as understand speech without lipreading. You can see a video of Chloe and make your own conclusions. Regardless, the stem cell centers are treating people today and can treat me anytime I am ready. I would love to hear at 50% of normal! :D

Cochlear, the global leader in implantable hearing solutions, announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the Nucleus((R) )5 System for adults and children with severe-to-profound hearing loss.
source

I've been following this thread using the Medical News Today and find nothing relating to Stem Cells (the ear) and FDA approval.

This sounds very flimsy that a patient is able to keep in touch with a doctor via a company; what happens if a patient bleeds out of his/her ears after surgery? A GP would know what to do because the GP didn't perform the surgery- this causes problems.

No. You don't.

Hearing at 100% with todays stem cell technology isn't realistic. It would be amazing if I could hear *some* sounds/speech without HAs and hear at 20db or better across with HAs. Ill honestly take any decent amount/decibal of improvement. I can always repeat the stem cell treatment anyway in the future.

No. Trust me.

I can hear 50%. It's frustrating because you're literally stuck between both worlds. You can hear well enough to understand part of a conversation, but not well enough to keep up with everyone. So people assume you're "hearing" because you can understand them, and that all you need to do is "increase the volume" to understand them completely 100%.

Back