I disagree with this CI surgeon predicting stem cells in 15 years

i would like to second mrs bucket whn it comes to the request to not compare hearing loss and vision loss. very different. i have blind family members and i have low vision myself. i dont think i can even compare the two in how they effect me.

No. Trust me.

I can hear 50%. It's frustrating because you're literally stuck between both worlds. You can hear well enough to understand part of a conversation, but not well enough to keep up with everyone. So people assume you're "hearing" because you can understand them, and that all you need to do is "increase the volume" to understand them completely 100%.

Even with a severe profound loss in both ears with 110 to 120 dB, I still encounter the same attitudes towards me. It is like because I speak so well, I should hear just as well. I dont know if being hoh or deaf really matters. I think it is how well we seem to adjust with hearing people or in non-signing environments that have people fooled. Just my two cents based on my experiences.

There are a variety and types of hearing loss. And with the way medical biotechnology is progressing I wouldn't be surprised if the medical establishments do come up with a way to help restore sensorineural or nerve deafness (non-genetic) hearing loss for potentially millions of people someday soon.

Project Name: Regenerative Medicine to Address Acute Hearing Loss
Amount: $3,000,000
Recipient: Fate Therapeutics
Address: 1124 Columbia Street, Suite 600
City: Seattle
State: WA
Zip: 98104
Explanation: This funding will be used to develop a therapy and cure for hearing loss in
military personnel and veterans by applying adult stem cell research. This is a good use
of taxpayer funds because it will save the Federal government money in benefits paid for
hearing loss and improve the quality of life for wounded warriors and veterans.

http://adamsmith.house.gov/UploadedFiles/2010projects/defense.pdf

There are a variety and types of hearing loss. And with the way medical biotechnology is progressing I wouldn't be surprised if the medical establishments do come up with a way to help restore sensorineural or nerve deafness (non-genetic) hearing loss for potentially millions of people someday soon.
On the other hand, I do think that a cure would more likely benifit those who were late/postlingal deafened. It's easier to rehab (learn to do what you used to do) then it is start from scratch. Would even a HOH kid understand how to interpret sound the way a hearing person does?

Back