I can't take it anymore

Some of us are in an area where it is downright RARE. It has been literally years since I have seen anyone using ASL. But you are in an area where the use of ASL seems to be fairly common.

thats s cop ouf, its yours to make. but a cop out non the less.
Your on the net, communicating with people from differenr countries..
The very same thing can.be done.with ASL.
excuses are like assholes,everyone has one...but excuses non the less

thats s cop ouf, its yours to make. but a cop out non the less.
Your on the net, communicating with people from differenr countries..
The very same thing can.be done.with ASL.
excuses are like assholes,everyone has one...but excuses non the less

I didn't say it was impossible to learn. Shel asked what the problem is and it is a problem. In order to remember any language you need to get to use it. And to use it more than one person needs to be present that knows it.

Sure, given the net and tech, allot easier...in the end. its just question of your will thats all.

Honestly, this is all a little unsettling. Instead of being able to share my experiences with other deaf people, I'm getting put down, told I'm saying things wrong, and made to feel on the defensive instead.

I'm not feeling real welcome here which is really sad being we are all dealing with the same disability.

If I'm causing problems by sharing, I'll just view posts and stop participating. Peace.

please don't say that you are as welcolm as everyone else it just some people get bit ott there experience all different.
If I was younger I may have been more like hochi but I not younger and these days I don't give toss if people sign or not to me,my culture is british which made up of many cultures deaf is small section and I don't want to secrete myself in the one sector my life be very narrow if I did.
my son learn sign I love it when he here but I under no illusion he learn BSL bc the chicks thought he sexy WHY I do not KNOW

please don't say that you are as welcolm as everyone else it just some people get bit ott there experience all different.
If I was younger I may have been more like hochi but I not younger and these days I don't give toss if people sign or not to me,my culture is british which made up of many cultures deaf is small section and I don't want to secrete myself in the one sector my life be very narrow if I did.
my son learn sign I love it when he here but I under no illusion he learn BSL bc the chicks thought he sexy WHY I do not KNOW

Thank you! I had to giggle about your son learning BSL because the chicks think it's sexy when he does. :)

Its common....sign has a memserizing magnetic effect...its truly a gift...
'-)

Actually, and honestly, i'm very excited to be talking and involved with other deaf people. That's why on this forum. Its my culture too.

I'm super confused though why there are so many rules? Coming from you? I'm not sure why I'm being told I cant have my own opinions here? I use "route" and get put down for it. Can't we just appreciate other view points or are we all supposed to think exactly alike? I'm deaf too but I can't think differently than you? I don't know why you are judging me. Are we not here to be supportive? I feel as if you are saying I just need to nod and agree. Yikes. I hope its just that I'm misreading what you're saying.

Coming from me? Not sure what that was supposed to mean.

I am not putting down or judging your choice of words in regards to "route." I don't see being part of deaf culture as a "route," but rather a way of life, communicating, interacting with the deaf. If that's what you meant, that's fine. I was born deaf and learned ASL at age 2, have been part of deaf friendships, deaf camps, deaf relationships (including marriage,) deaf social clubs, and so on. I'm immersed in deaf culture, and I didn't take a "route" to get there - it just comes. That was all I meant.

Coming from me? Not sure what that was supposed to mean.

I am not putting down or judging your choice of words in regards to "route." I don't see being part of deaf culture as a "route," but rather a way of life, communicating, interacting with the deaf. If that's what you meant, that's fine. I was born deaf and learned ASL at age 2, have been part of deaf friendships, deaf camps, deaf relationships (including marriage,) deaf social clubs, and so on. I'm immersed in deaf culture, and I didn't take a "route" to get there - it just comes. That was all I meant.

I guess where I was coming from is that we are all in the same boat and should have real understanding in what we all deal with on some level. I felt like my choice of verbiage was being picked apart. Obviously, I was being a little sensitive.

I use verbiage a little differently than you but I'm NOT referring to it as that you or I had a choice in our loss. We don't have the control to "choose" to have hearing or not. Here's the thing though.. you had a way of life, I had one too. Is yours better or "right" anymore than mine was better and right for me? I had a different path and you had yours. Mine worked out for me and yours worked out for you. That's great!!! The differences we all experience should be a tool to share with each other.

I was considered "mentally slow" because no one knew I was deaf until older. They were slow to consider my hearing. Once I got a hearing aid, it opened a whole new world for me. Yeah, I had to sit in the very front of the classrooms, the teachers were aware of my disability, and I had to ask "what" a lot but it worked out for me. Yeah, I did grow up in the hearing world and I WISH I had some deaf or hearing impaired friends but I just don't happen to run across anyone else deaf or hearing impaired in my area or circles. I'm going to be completely deaf sooner than I want to and looking forward to learning ASL and getting more involved with others (here or if I can find some people in my area) who are deaf.

Look, I know I don't use the same terms a lot of you use and I say things differently but my intentions are good. I just grew up differently than some of you did. Thank God for differences or life would be boring. The thing we all do have in common is our disability though. :)

Some of us are in an area where it is downright RARE. It has been literally years since I have seen anyone using ASL. But you are in an area where the use of ASL seems to be fairly common.

It is not about geographic locations. It is about the fact that anyone can learn ASL and benefit from it. Not just only deaf people.

Thus one.of my points..
And.we also have history here as well with marthas vinyard.
those who wish to.be close to me, have learned sign, and use it..its actually notthsy hard. What is hard is overcoming hearie ingained audism. once.audism is tossed oit..
The treasure which ASL is and how it is the superior technology to inplants becomes rather apperent.

It is not about geographic locations. It is about the fact that anyone can learn ASL and benefit from it. Not just only deaf people.

Why O why is it soooo hard to get anyone on this site that is in a place where there is a visible deaf community to realize that NOT all of us have that.

Also to benefit from any language, be it ASL or something else, you (generic you) have to have someone to USE IT WITH.

Personally, I took beginning sign as an evening class two different years and made NO contacts to use it with. Classmates, other than one kid that came with his mother because he had a friend that used it, seemed to be taking it for the community college credit rather than day to day use. Since I have not gotten to use it I have forgotten 99% of what I did learn!

Why O why is it soooo hard to get anyone on this site that is in a place where there is a visible deaf community to realize that NOT all of us have that.

Also to benefit from any language, be it ASL or something else, you (generic you) have to have someone to USE IT WITH.

Personally, I took beginning sign as an evening class two different years and made NO contacts to use it with. Classmates, other than one kid that came with his mother because he had a friend that used it, seemed to be taking it for the community college credit rather than day to day use. Since I have not gotten to use it I have forgotten 99% of what I did learn!

What is so hard here for you?
Do have any human.biengs around you, if you do...
Start there.
You sihn with them, start with what you know, and woek it up until u and them.are signing...somw here, even me on this site willl be happy to help you.
Give it s shot...use it who you love, yiur friends, so on...
You can do it....i will help you

Re post #98 another "futile exercise"
Enough

Yes arguing with bigots such as yourself is futile, i grant you that.
If you were sencere and i know you werent in your question, and if you would of done a simple search via google.or what ever you would.see hundreds and hundreds of papers about this very question, which is not answered like most important questions in life with a dictionary entry.
To make it somewhat easy for you, ill take your hand here, and walk you.through the first steps in.exploring your question, even though we both know it wasnt sencere.
Heres what wiki says briefly

"Technology is the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, methods of organization, in order to solve a problem, improve a preexisting solution to a problem, achieve a goal or perform a specific function."
So i think.to start here, we need to ask is language a tool? can it be modified? Does language solve a problem? Improve a pre existing solution to a problem? Achieve a goal or perform a spacific function?
Is ASL a language?
If yes then can it be modified? If yes then does ASL solve any problems? If yes then does ASL improve any pre existing solutions to the problem of Deaf communicating? If yes Does ASL achieve a spacific goal? If yes Does it perform a spacific function?
Does it doc?
Does it?

Last edited:
This is the thing, though it's not about verbiage or wording, it's about perception. Attitude. Some people who are deaf, and those who are Deaf do - NOT - consider that they have a "disability". This is part of..everything...Deaf.
So, no, it's not common that on here we all have a disability. That would be a hard of hearing forum.

I sign poorly but when I do, I feel - empowered. I don't have to struggle with my speech and can use my visual strength. And people can more easily guess that I can have trouble with auditory information. Other people who may feel uncomfortable for whatever reason, they could see me and maybe someone would feel less uncomfortable or alone. And I've met other people, both deaf and hearing, because someone caught something I signed. So I don't look for others to justify -why- I should sign. I sign for me and because ASL matters.

This is the thing, though it's not about verbiage or wording, it's about perception. Attitude. Some people who are deaf, and those who are Deaf do - NOT - consider that they have a "disability". This is part of..everything...Deaf.
So, no, it's not common that on here we all have a disability. That would be a hard of hearing forum.

QUOTE]

Just so I can understand what you are saying clearly, you are stating that if someone is TOTALLY deaf, no hearing whatsoever, as a rule, they do not consider it as a disability, correct? That's cool.

I'm not completely deaf yet so I guess I consider myself having a disability of sorts. When I'm deaf, I may still refer to it that way.. I don't know how I will but I do know I'm an individual thinker and will have the right to refer to my own non-hearing issues the way I please just like anyone else can refer to whatever belongs to them the way they please too. I'm always going to appreciate other points of view and others opinions. Gotta keep that mind open and be understanding. I don't walk in anyone else's shoes but mine. :)

I sign poorly but when I do, I feel - empowered. I don't have to struggle with my speech and can use my visual strength. And people can more easily guess that I can have trouble with auditory information. Other people who may feel uncomfortable for whatever reason, they could see me and maybe someone would feel less uncomfortable or alone. And I've met other people, both deaf and hearing, because someone caught something I signed. So I don't look for others to justify -why- I should sign. I sign for me and because ASL matters.

You are forgetting that this forum is alldeaf. Not all of us include ourselves as part of the Deaf (capital D) community.

I do feel that I have a hearing disability — it is my ears that don't work like the majority of the population. So . . . there are some things that i have to do a different way.

You are forgetting that this forum is alldeaf. Not all of us include ourselves as part of the Deaf (capital D) community.

I do feel that I have a hearing disability — it is my ears that don't work like the majority of the population. So . . . there are some things that i have to do a different way.

So? The reason why Deafness had and still has a stigma is exactly due to it being percieved as a disability. becaue hearie communicate via sound,by choice, thus hearie have an advantage in sound...sign. negates this advantage. Its rooted via the eyes...and we can sign everything and anything we want, there is nothing that we Cannot sign. We can sign more ways the lips flap and mouth move...it is our strength...
Im nof disabled...on the contrary, sign has set..........refer to my sig..
And you can too. Start with a sign a.day, you and the hearie people in lfe important to you. Just a sign day...ina month you have 30 signs...in 2 months 60..your so called disability will fade away with each sign, in no time there will be no struggle to communicate, to hear...your only dissbled because you belive you are
Try it.
A sign a.day...
You have nothing to lose, but your dis-ability
Sign=ability

Last edited:

Yes, you have the issue of not having many people in your area who are fluent in ASL. However, how do you really know unless where you live has only about a population of 500 or less?

However, my first comment was directed to someone who implied that it was only deaf people who benefit from ASL and that it is not for hoh people. I replied with my comment and then you replied about geographical problems. Trying to explain to you that anyone can learn and benefit from ASL. Hoichi explained how.

I so pleased I just been asked go into local schools go with deaf children on days out put my name down 10mins ago my first trip after easter also have hour or so with 13plus...It great shame they only got one old lady like me but idea do it with a parent

Back