I Am Dreading My Audiology Appointment

Daminx

Reaction score
i have a audiology appointment tomorrow and I have a quite a few worst case sinarios in my head including being told that I am going to go deaf, that I am faking it and being taken away to a phychriatic unit, being told it was own doing when I have to have things louder like the TV and being refused hearing aids.

I am not sure if this is going to happen or not or if my head is blowing out of proportion with this. How was YOUR first audiologuist appointment experience like?

It was terrible, they used a drill to examine my ears. They were bleeding afterward and then they bent me over and gave me a colonscopy.

Just kidding, it wasn't too bad. I was born with the hearing loss so I don't exactly remember it.

I don't think you will have anything to worry about. Most audios are good at explaining and won't tell you its in your head. If they do, run run far away and find another audiologist.

I wouldn't remember my first- I was somewhere around the age of 2. Born deaf.

I used to get all worked up about my audiology appointments, but then I realized it is what it is and I can't really do anything about it. The tests have redundancy factors built into them, so just go in respond when you hear something and relax it will be over before you know it. As Roosevelt said: the only thing you have to fear, is fear itself. Good luck!

i have a audiology appointment tomorrow and I have a quite a few worst case sinarios in my head including being told that I am going to go deaf, that I am faking it and being taken away to a phychriatic unit, being told it was own doing when I have to have things louder like the TV and being refused hearing aids.

I am not sure if this is going to happen or not or if my head is blowing out of proportion with this. How was YOUR first audiologuist appointment experience like?

I don't know why going to audiologist should be a dreadful experience. why? what for?

you're going to audiologist because your hearing has gone bad, right? that's why you go there to figure out if there is something to help you hear better. I don't know who is telling you all these weird stuff. who?

Lol at the run far away, but he is absolutely right. You should have nothing to worry about

does she know about the "gas chamber" i mean the box they put you in?

where they do all the tests on you, the probes, the measurements...and god knows what else, they use electricity in some form other hen the normal one. back int he day every time i left the box in Deafie school, my hair was a punk rockers dream....

some one should warn her ...

It was terrible, they used a drill to examine my ears. They were bleeding afterward and then they bent me over and gave me a colonscopy.

Just kidding, it wasn't too bad. I was born with the hearing loss so I don't exactly remember it.
LOL!

Never forget the last "hearing test" I had...my employer requested it. even tho' I had told people I was stone deaf. ...so I went anyway. went into "the box"...and the lady said..."Now, when you hear the sound, raise your finger or hand, OK?"....I sat there for what seemed to be an eternity...watching her turn the knobs...higher and higher...her eyes getting bigger and bigger...LOL....finally (at last), she said...
"well, why, rockin'...didn't you tell me you were deaf?"...Say what? been repeating it over and over and over. Still doing that to this day.

Never forget the last "hearing test" I had...my employer requested it.
Same here. It was a mandatory hearing test @ work. Even tho boss/manager and HR knew I was deaf, still had to do it. Audi put me in the box and explained to push the handheld buzzer when I hear something. After a bit of knob turning and staring at me, audi came inside the box and checked all the cables, plugs and reminded me to push the button when I hear something. After awhole lot of nothing, she comes back with a frustrated look on her face, she asks me "are you deaf ?" I say, yes. She laughed and asked, why are you here!!? I said its mandatory, she says, its stupid!

OMG you guys are hilarious. You have probably now put the fear of God into the OP. But again, yes, there's nothing to worry about with an audiologist.

I was 8 yo when I had my first audiologuist appointment in Boston, Ma. I didn't have any idea what was going to happen but I wasn't worried about it. I was glad people finally realize I was HOH.

looks like the she never made out...

ive ,,,(pauses...thinking)

seen stories here and there, among us Deafies no one would believe...

(looks out corner of window, backs away..now beside you.. moves close)

ive seen stories from children, grown men, honest women...

(lights joint,,,,inhales deeply.....searching for the signs i exhale smoke in the shape of dead ghosts...)

that...

some of them,,,,these audiologists are not what they appear to be...
(pauses..loaded pistol catching the light)

that...
sometimes ....many times even.....
they sign...

"you don't come back the same..."

(drags joint)

"you don't come back the same"

stories of children, of course.....old Deafie school stories of the haunted box...uncle luigis tale tales,

(the gold fish stir....and warn me somethings amiss..my head turns....aware of the danger, i hand you some hot sauce...you dont know why..neither do i...it was there, the Vietnamese kind...good poh poh or something ...i sign thus)

invasion of the body snatchers was said to have first been written by a Deafie as an allegory for assimilation....

(slowly drags joint moving to the window..to steal a peak...turning i continue...)

but theres more....

(closer..i move)

some even sign..

(drops joint.....looks out corner of window.....turns.......the good fish are wild never before have i seen them so....)

theyve found me......

(lights off. flashes of bang bang...
bloody knife in the dark.......)

damnx

RUN

Last edited:
Hmm . . . maybe the box is like the Hotel California for the OP . . . you can check in but you can't check out. :iough:

Back