hypoglycemia.

Shadow girl

Reaction score
I just found out from my doctor that I have hypoglycemia. But I still don't know a whole lot about it. Do any of you have it or can give me some info?

From what I understand of it.. having worked at a retirement home and known people who deal with it.. it's low blood sugar. I'd check webmd.com for more information. but I believe that's the general meaning..

I have it, since I been young and since I am pregnant-it makes it a little worse but I eat when I start to be hungry and keep it up with it without being in trouble and being sick. I am not the only one in my family that has it. My mom and almost half of my male/female relatives have it (both on my dad and my mom's sides of family). Nothing we can do about it but keep eating before sugar drops really fast. And we do not have diabetes and only 2 ppl has it are my twin cousins on my mom's side. They got it from their dad's family history. They are living with that for their rest of lives. They are healthy and taking care of themselves. I am proud of them.

Hope you can find what you are looking for. God bless you.

Google is your friend.

I don't know anything about it. :dunno:

You are doing OK, hopefully, as long as you don't go out and commit crimes while low on sugar!

;)

I have it too.. ugh.

HI there,

I have it too. I started to have them when I was living in New York City, back in 1997. I thought there was something serious wrong with me then I moved again to Federal Way, Washington, I began to get worse ... (because I didn't eat a lot and I was very involved with my work) Finally I went to see the doctor, considering that I might have a diabetic. I was worried. The blood result showed that I had no diabetic. I was relieved but the symptoms were getting worse.

Finally I decided to return my home in Utah. My dad is a doctor and he thought I had some parasites in my stomach from living in NYC. He gave me medicine. And no changes. Until I flew over to Hawaii and my mom and I got up one morning and decided to go to a health fair and thought I could check with my blood and all. They took my blood to find out if my blood sugar was low. Sure enough, I had a low blood sugar problem.

I studied and I tested all things things what I have eaten. I learned that eating just a bowl of cereal with milk is not a smart way to eat breakfast! When I had a bowl of cereal, then went to work or school. I became really sick and dizzy. After this, I began to have a headache and got in a bad mood.

I learned how to adjust my eating habit, I began to eat yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs and anything with proteins, it helps you keep going in the morning til lunch time.

My advice, dont eat a lot of sweet. You may have to think about changing your eating habit. It's hard.

Deafmommy is right about it is harder when you are pregnant. I am going through hard time with hypoglyemic during my pregnancy. I have to find a different way to eat. It suck to have it. Just have candies with you in your purse or in your pocket at all times just in a case you feel sick.

But other ad members mentioned about google. That'll do, it would be a great way to learn about it. I wish you a good luck!

Go to your doctor and discuss the issue, as well as asking for a referral to a nutritionalist in your area- both are very helpful. In the mean time, try and eat well balanced meals and make sure you're feeling up to the activities you're doing, as well as keeping glucose tablets or gels in your purse/pocket just incase.

HI there,

I have it too. I started to have them when I was living in New York City, back in 1997. I thought there was something serious wrong with me then I moved again to Federal Way, Washington, I began to get worse ... (because I didn't eat a lot and I was very involved with my work) Finally I went to see the doctor, considering that I might have a diabetic. I was worried. The blood result showed that I had no diabetic. I was relieved but the symptoms were getting worse.

Finally I decided to return my home in Utah. My dad is a doctor and he thought I had some parasites in my stomach from living in NYC. He gave me medicine. And no changes. Until I flew over to Hawaii and my mom and I got up one morning and decided to go to a health fair and thought I could check with my blood and all. They took my blood to find out if my blood sugar was low. Sure enough, I had a low blood sugar problem.

I studied and I tested all things things what I have eaten. I learned that eating just a bowl of cereal with milk is not a smart way to eat breakfast! When I had a bowl of cereal, then went to work or school. I became really sick and dizzy. After this, I began to have a headache and got in a bad mood.

I learned how to adjust my eating habit, I began to eat yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs and anything with proteins, it helps you keep going in the morning til lunch time.

My advice, dont eat a lot of sweet. You may have to think about changing your eating habit. It's hard.

Deafmommy is right about it is harder when you are pregnant. I am going through hard time with hypoglyemic during my pregnancy. I have to find a different way to eat. It suck to have it. Just have candies with you in your purse or in your pocket at all times just in a case you feel sick.

But other ad members mentioned about google. That'll do, it would be a great way to learn about it. I wish you a good luck!
So, you became lactose-intolerant... or you ate the wrong kind of cereal.

It's not always just milk and cereal, but it could be something else.

I've had friends who got stomach aches from private brands and not from national brands (or vice versa). For instance, Frosted Flakes is from Kellogg and Sugar Flakes is from the store itself. Coca Cola is national and Cola is private. I once got sick from hot dogs made from Aldi (a small grocery store), but never got stick from hot dogs from Oscar Meyers.

I've also got friends who became lactose intolerant due to life changes such as pregnancy and diabetes.

If doctors can't find out what's wrong, maybe you need to change the brand of cereal or something. :thumb:

I have the feeling I was too vague at first on how it came to this.

For a long time over the past months I have had problems with pains everywhere,fast pace breathing,dizziness, no energy, a personality change noticed by family and peers, and a need for sugar to feel better. I had to go to the ER twice and to many doctors before I started going to an internist. My new doctor is very intelligent and and good at what he does. He was able to piece everything together and see that I had Hypoglycemia. Since I've only just been diagnosed I still have ways to go in finding what works for me and how I can keep my blood sugar to a even level since it was abnormally low

Monday while I was at the voc rehab I was working in the back when my fast pace breathing,dizziness, and numbness (think when your hand falls asleep).I got so bad I couldn't move and the supervisors had to come and take me to the first aid room in a wheeled computer chair.

my mom little know what means about this because she is nurse

Hypoglycemia
Hypoglycemia

Hypoglycemia, also called low blood sugar, occurs when your blood glucose (blood sugar) level drops too low to provide enough energy for your body's activities. In adults or children older than 10 years, hypoglycemia is uncommon except as a side effect of diabetes treatment, but it can result from other medications or diseases, hormone or enzyme deficiencies, or tumors.

Glucose, a form of sugar, is an important fuel for your body. Carbohydrates are the main dietary sources of glucose. Rice, potatoes, bread, tortillas, cereal, milk, fruit, and sweets are all carbohydrate-rich foods.

After a meal, glucose molecules are absorbed into your bloodstream and carried to the cells, where they are used for energy. Insulin, a hormone produced by your pancreas, helps glucose enter cells. If you take in more glucose than your body needs at the time, your body stores the extra glucose in your liver and muscles in a form called glycogen. Your body can use the stored glucose whenever it is needed for energy between meals. Extra glucose can also be converted to fat and stored in fat cells.

When blood glucose begins to fall, glucagon, another hormone produced by the pancreas, signals the liver to break down glycogen and release glucose, causing blood glucose levels to rise toward a normal level. If you have diabetes, this glucagon response to hypoglycemia may be impaired, making it harder for your glucose levels to return to the normal range.

you can scroll for more infomation

Diabetes have two different types.

Having too much glucose (sugar) in your blood... the glucose comes from food you eat such as starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice, chips, noodles, sweet foods and sweet drinks.

How to balance right food... Eat healthy food and drinks, least 30mins exercise each day and be smokefree.

Diabetes New Zealand

Having Type 1 will be stay in body for rest of life. Type 2 possible to fade away if looked after really well! Exercise and eat right food are the most important.

Back