Hurricane Joaquin

Steven894

Reaction score
If you've got family on the Eastern Seaboard, make sure they are not just getting information about Hurricane Joaquin from TV and Social Media. They should also be registered for Reverse 911 alerts adn updates from their local First Responders! They can find where to register by ZIP code search at http://safetyinformed.com/

Gov. Haley declares state of emergency for South Carolina

COLUMBIA, SC (FOX Carolina) -
On Thursday evening, Governor Nikki Haley declared a State of Emergency ahead of any potential impacts from Hurricane Joaquin.

A state of emergency declaration puts the state's emergency plans into effect and enable agencies to coordinate resources.

In a press release, the South Carolina Emergency Management Division said Hurricane Joaquin's path is uncertain and could bring dangerous rip currents, high tides and rain to coastal areas already experiencing flood conditions.

Heavy rains could create flash flood conditions throughout the entire state.

The Emergency Management Division encouraged the public to be aware of warnings and safety instructions in case of emergency. The American Red Cross issued safety steps to prepare the public in case of severe weather.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30167075/gov-haley-declares-state-of-emergency-for-south-carolina

COLUMBIA, SC (FOX Carolina) -
On Thursday evening, Governor Nikki Haley declared a State of Emergency ahead of any potential impacts from Hurricane Joaquin.

A state of emergency declaration puts the state's emergency plans into effect and enable agencies to coordinate resources.

In a press release, the South Carolina Emergency Management Division said Hurricane Joaquin's path is uncertain and could bring dangerous rip currents, high tides and rain to coastal areas already experiencing flood conditions.

Heavy rains could create flash flood conditions throughout the entire state.

The Emergency Management Division encouraged the public to be aware of warnings and safety instructions in case of emergency. The American Red Cross issued safety steps to prepare the public in case of severe weather.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30167075/gov-haley-declares-state-of-emergency-for-south-carolina
Parts of our state have been flooded for several days already. Some of the schools in our area are cancelled tomorrow due to flooding, and one woman drowned in her car upstate. In the Charleston area, the downtown flooding is due to rain and super high tides from the super full moon. (Every full moon brings flooding to the downtown area.) TCS drove over the Ravenel Bridge yesterday, and could look down on the area. He said that all the marshes were under water, and the cruise ship dock had water almost over it. Lots of flash flood warnings. It's ridiculous.

So, you can imagine how bad the flooding gets when we get real storms, especially if the moon is full.

This is Charleston during full moon:

Attachments

• lochnesschasn.jpg
    lochnesschasn.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 13
Joaquin is now Cat 4.

Don't remember which one but one of the news channels said it could be a "historic" flooding around here too. Sounds like it could bring more rain than Hugo did.

Don't remember which one but one of the news channels said it could be a "historic" flooding around here too. Sounds like it could bring more rain than Hugo did.
That would be bad.

12072725_10101478688558315_6665710353381920864_n.jpg

Jacksonville cargo ship missing in hurricane

Coast Guard in Miami searching for ship with 33 crew members

MIAMI -
Coast Guard search and rescue crews are searching for a container ship with 33 crew members that sailed out of Jacksonville and was reported to be caught in Hurricane Joaquin, near Crooked Island, Bahamas.

The El Faro, a 735-foot ro-ro cargo ship, sailed out of Jacksonville Tuesday en route to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Tim Nolan, president of TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico, said that when the ship sailed, the crew was monitoring what was then Tropical Storm Joaquin. He said TOTE lost all communication with the El Faro as of 7:20 a.m. Thursday.

"There are a number of possible reasons for the loss of communications, among them the increasing severity of Hurricane Joaquin," Nolan said in a statement.

About 7:30 a.m. Thursday, watchstanders at the Coast Guard Atlantic Area command center in Portsmouth, Virginia, received an Inmarsat satellite notification stating the El Faro was beset by Hurricane Joaquin, had lost propulsion and had a 15-degree list. The crew reported the ship had previously taken on water, but that all flooding had been contained.

"The concern was they became disabled right in the vicinity of the eye of Joaquin," Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor said. "So they were in a very dangerous situation."

Watchstanders at the Coast Guard 7th District command center in Miami launched an HC-130 aircrew out of Clearwater, Florida, to search for the El Faro, which is one of TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico’s two ships and was christened in Jacksonville in 2006.

Coast Guard watchstanders and rescue crews have been unable to reestablish communications with the El Faro crew. Fedor said it's possible the storm destroyed the ship's communications equipment.

Two Air Force C-130 Hurricane Hunter aircrews attempted to locate and reestablish communications with the El Faro unsuccessfully Thursday.

On Friday, the Coast Guard put a C-130 Hercules aircraft as close to the hurricane as possible to see if it can spot the ship. Fedor said the aircraft can fly much lower than the Hurricane Hunter aircraft, which fly at 10,000 feet to take measurements of the storm. The Coast Guard C-130 is flying at 2,000 feet, Fedor said.

"(That) is absolutely pushing the operational envelope of what they're supposed to fly, pushing their safety limits to try to lay some eyes on this vessel," Fedor said. "They're using a very sophisticated radar system to try to penetrate the precipitation and the wind and the sea state and try to locate that vessel."

They haven't spotted it yet, Fedor said, but they are working toward its last known position.

Fedor said of the 33 crew members, 28 are U.S. citizens and five are Polish nationals.

"TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico’s primary concern is for the safety and well-being of the 33 individuals on board. We are working to ensure clear and frequent communications with their families and loved ones as we learn more," Nolan said. "We have reached out to the families of those impacted and have established open lines of communication to provide them with timely updates. Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families."

Nolan said TOTE is working closely with the Coast Guard and other resources to establish communication with the ship by whatever means possible.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/jackso...l&utm_source=facebook_WJXT4_The_Local_Station

Coast Guard in Miami searching for ship with 33 crew members….
Doesn't sound good. :(

Without propulsion, the ship will be tossed around without any control. No communications is also very bad. The listing is bad, even if the flooding is contained because if they've lost power then might not be able to pump the water out and straighten up. I'm afraid they might be searching for life pods instead of a whole ship. That would be almost impossible to spot, though they should have beacons on board for tracking.

A ro-ro (roll on-roll off) ship, it probably had a cargo of mostly vehicles and some containers.

If anyone in path of hurricane tonight I hope you all be ok

Seems the hurricane wont hit us but moisture from it will be sucked into the Carolinas. Going to be crazy there.

Fate of cargo ship caught in Hurricane Joaquin unknown

ELEUTHERA, Bahamas (AP) — The U.S. Coast Guard resumed its search early Saturday across Bahamian waters for a disabled cargo ship with 33 crewmembers, including 28 Americans, that lost contact during Hurricane Joaquin, which was moving away from the sprawling archipelago

The 735-foot (224-meter) ship named El Faro had taken on water and was earlier reported to be listing at 15 degrees near Crooked Island, one of the islands most battered by the hurricane. The Coast Guard said it hadn't been able to re-establish communication with the vessel, which was traveling from Jacksonville, Florida, to San Juan, Puerto Rico, when it was disabled by the storm.

Officials said the crew — 28 Americans and five Poles — earlier reported they had been able to contain the flooding. The Coast Guard said it had covered more than 850 square miles in its search so far.

"We're going to go and try and save lives. We're going to push it to the operational limits as far as we can," Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor said of rescue efforts.

Fedor said there were 20- to 30-foot (up to 9-meter) waves in the area, and that heavy winds could have destroyed the ship's communications equipment. The ship went missing when Joaquin was a Category 4 storm. The hurricane has since weakened to a Category 3.

Late Friday, the Coast Guard said the planes and helicopters involved in the search had returned to base because of darkness.

*Read More....*

http://news.yahoo.com/fate-cargo-ship-caught-hurricane-joaquin-unknown-041845023.html#

4 of the crew members were from Maine, including the captain. Makes me especially sad and anxious, as this was my husbands line of work,going to sea. I would never let him tell me about the nasty weather or pirate invations he encountered, didn't want to hear it, too nerve wracking.

Thank God he's retired now!

I'm praying for that crew of the El Faro.

4 of the crew members were from Maine, including the captain. Makes me especially sad and anxious, as this was my husbands line of work,going to sea. I would never let him tell me about the nasty weather or pirate invations he encountered, didn't want to hear it, too nerve wracking.

Thank God he's retired now!

I'm praying for that crew of the El Faro.

Yes, Annie...people are questioning why the cargo ship was out in the water to begin with...I foresee a lawsuit(s)...
Reminds me of the Perfect Storm also somewhat...these men are and were very brave to risk the perils of the sea to support their families. God be with them!

This happen to a replica built in 1960 for the film Mutiny on the Bounty ,
the captain took the ship out in Hurricane Sandy and the ship was lost in the storm . 14 men had to rescued , one crewman and the captain died .
The ship use to come into my city's port and it was beautiful .

Back