Hurricane Earl

I have a FEMA contact. I already have a FEMA number too. So when I show up I don't have to do paperwork. FEMA will usually set up a temp HQ in a Home Depot parking lot. Some times I will hook up with a local contractor and let him work under my number and I will use his contacts with inspectors.

Also insurance adjusters travel to the big storms (They make a fortune) because no area has enough adjusters for a major storm. I know many of those guys. Adjusters are usually the source of tarp and board up jobs because they are trying to save anything they can from rain and looters. They pay well too.

Once on the way, having a general idea of landfall. I will start contacting adjusters in that area and let the know the numbers of crew,supplies and tools I am bringing (especially generators....they love you if you have generators and tarps).

Finding the work is easy..... Figuring out where to stay is tough. I try to keep FEMA and the adjusters happy by having my guys in tents rather than hotels. This frees up the hotels for people who are displaced.

We usually try to find a small farm nearby with some damage and I will offer to repair their damage for free if they let us camp and hook up an RV. Never had anyone say no to that offer.....lol FEMA also has camps for workers and provides meals but we have passed on those.
We have a friend who owns a large restoration business. He does pre-storm stagings, too, far enough from the storms to be safe but close enough to get to the site quickly after.

I have a FEMA contact. I already have a FEMA number too. So when I show up I don't have to do paperwork. FEMA will usually set up a temp HQ in a Home Depot parking lot. Some times I will hook up with a local contractor and let him work under my number and I will use his contacts with inspectors.

Also insurance adjusters travel to the big storms (They make a fortune) because no area has enough adjusters for a major storm. I know many of those guys. Adjusters are usually the source of tarp and board up jobs because they are trying to save anything they can from rain and looters. They pay well too.

Once on the way, having a general idea of landfall. I will start contacting adjusters in that area and let the know the numbers of crew,supplies and tools I am bringing (especially generators....they love you if you have generators and tarps).

Finding the work is easy..... Figuring out where to stay is tough. I try to keep FEMA and the adjusters happy by having my guys in tents rather than hotels. This frees up the hotels for people who are displaced.

We usually try to find a small farm nearby with some damage and I will offer to repair their damage for free if they let us camp and hook up an RV. Never had anyone say no to that offer.....lol FEMA also has camps for workers and provides meals but we have passed on those.

You would not want camp out at the farm in my city. It is right next the landfill that give off hydrogen sulfide. I live near the landfill and I am worried about if it will hold up in a big storm.

People were not allowed to bring their pets to shelters with them when
Katrina hit New Orleans and they refused to leave their homes. Now people are allowed to bring their pet with to shelters in New Orleans . I wonder if this is allowed at other states and cities?
Charleston has one shelter that is specifically set up for pets.

The problem around here is that every year we have new residents who have moved from the Midwest and are clueless about hurricanes. Our local media, print and electronic, fully cover preparedness, so there's no excuse but some people ignore common sense preparations.

just like New Orleans

I can't have one as I live in a condo, I would get one other wise. I asked about this and I was told "NO"! It too bad the trustees don't get some the buildings. They would rather have peope burn the place by using candles!

That is what I should made sure I have plenty of. I like to buy the Jewish memorial candles , they last a while and they no smell to them.
It's not a good idea to use candles. They aren't as safe as battery lights. If you have a house fire after a hurricane there's a good chance that the fire department won't be able to help you.

Ugh, I have bad memories of Floyd, too. We evacuated for Floyd. I'll never go thru an evacuation like that again. It was a nightmare.

can you describe what happened? I could relay the information to Director from upstairs. He is the consultant specializing in emergency & disaster management. He has done work for 9/11 and Haiti.

I can't have one as I live in a condo, I would get one other wise. I asked about this and I was told "NO"! It too bad the trustees don't get some the buildings. They would rather have peope burn the place by using candles!

That is what I should made sure I have plenty of. I like to buy the Jewish memorial candles , they last a while and they no smell to them.

your condo water sprinkler will take care of the fire issue unless....... the water pipeline is cut off.

I look at the path of the Hurricane Earl. I hope it does not hit us on the Maritime coast, Quebec and Ontario. It will probably arrived on Saturday or Sunday unless the hurricane die down. Having the hurricane is a beast and not safe at all. So anyone who live on the East Coast of USA need to find a safe place away from the low level of water. I wish they would have gone to the "Hillbilly" mountains for higher safer away from water. That would be great. :fingersx: I will pray for you if it comes on Thursday. :)

Look up Plum Island , MA. they're in a lot of danger of getting wiped out. The beach is have some sand dredging done next week to tried keep some homes from falling into ocean. I am glad the work was not gone yet as it going to cost 5 and half millions dollars to bring the sand in. It would had been all wash away with this storm. My city could did hit Friday with strong wind a rain , the good part it the storm will knock the heat wave out . It TOO hot !

your condo water sprinkler will take care of the fire issue unless....... the water pipeline is cut off.
After Hugo we had no water for days. Some people had no water for weeks. The water treatment plants had no power.

Even after water started flowing again it tasted bad for weeks. So many pine trees had fallen into the water source that it made the water taste like cough syrup. It was safe but nasty to drink.

I'm not too worried about most hurricanes because it's mostly weak when it hits this area. It only brings downpour and some strong wind so there's flooding cases. Other than that.... not that bad. We usually get a bad case of hurricane once every few-several years.

I can't remember when was the last time we had a nasty hurricane.... :dunno: oh wait.. I think around 2002. It was pretty nasty and the damage was pretty bad. We had a knee-deep flood in area where we never had flood before. Many thick strong trees were knocked down. The power was out for a few days.

I'm not too worried about most hurricanes because it's mostly weak when it hits this area. It only brings downpour and some strong wind so there's flooding cases. Other than that.... not that bad. We usually get a bad case of hurricane once every few-several years.

I can't remember when was the last time we had a nasty hurricane.... :dunno: oh wait.. I think around 2002. It was pretty nasty and the damage was pretty bad. We had a knee-deep flood in area where we never had flood before. Many thick strong trees were knocked down. The power was out for a few days.
Your area is overdue for a bad hurricane.

My family (not me) went thru this hurricane in Connecticut (it was also called the Long Island Express):

The Great New England Hurricane — History.com This Day in History — 9/21/1938

New England Hurricane - 1938 - History - Interviews - Aftermath - Popular Mechanics

new england hurricane 1938, Image Search | Ask.com

Your area is overdue for a bad hurricane.

yep. was wondering when will it happen. perhaps I should stock up some supplies just in case. I'll talk to my family about it tonight.

yes, that is true. Usually by time it reaches northeast, it has weakened due to wind sheer and the storm passes by much quicker because it is picked up by the Jet stream trade winds. Still there could be bad winds, rain bands, tornado risk, flooding, and severe beach erosion. I think the NE has much more realistic danger of disaster and chaos from winter Noreaster storms. But you can never say it couldn't happen.

NJ? :shock:

yep. was wondering when will it happen. perhaps I should stock up some supplies just in case. I'll talk to my family about it tonight.
One thing is, a lot of people don't realize how much they depend on electricity. They think it means just doing without lights and TV.

Electricity can control security systems, elevators, water systems, ATM's, computers, VRS, gas pumps, traffic lights, AC, street lights, and refrigeration (home and commercial).

Think about all the rotten food in a grocery store, streets that are totally dark at night, no traffic lights at intersections, no way to get cash or to get gas for the car, and no way to call the police or fire department.

Have lots of cash on hand before the storm.

yes, that is true. Usually by time it reaches northeast, it has weakened due to wind sheer and the storm passes by much quicker because it is picked up by the Jet stream trade winds. Still there could be bad winds, rain bands, tornado risk, flooding, and severe beach erosion.
Since it's very hot right now... about 96 deg or higher... that's one of recipes needed for hurricane. Thanks God it's not humid now!

hot temp + high humidity = :Ohno:

I think the NE has much more realistic danger of disaster and chaos from winter Noreaster storms. But you can never say it couldn't happen.
yep. Last year was bad. 2 years ago was bad. 3 years ago was bad. That's why I'm looking around for a capable SUV for when SHTF. Looking at how it gets progressively worse, I think it will be pretty bad this year. I'll need to be able to bail out with my family to safer area.

Back