HUGE HELP ....classes soon

MINILEE

Reaction score
what advice would you give to me if i decide to go to hearing school?
im looking at the boards and everyone seems to have issue with disbelief of deafness by others and oral skills. what is the respect that i deserve @ alicia i will no longer let people run me over especially teachers. what is a fair requests to make? give me the essentials.:hmm:

Find your roots with your friends or local d/Deaf/HoH community.

It sucks balls when everything seems to be cratering and there's no friendship or community to retreat to temporarily.

here advice, go to hearing school! because they have best education, but first you may want IEP metting. so you will know what rights you have in hearing school. you will love there :)

Find your roots with your friends or local d/Deaf/HoH community.

It sucks balls when everything seems to be cratering and there's no friendship or community to retreat to temporarily.

Excellent advise. A good support system makes what seems unbearable much more tolerable.

And don't listen to people who tell you that a hearing school has better education than a deaf school. That is entirely dependent on the school and the student.

Oh, and if you need any services like new technology (ie. hearing aid replacements, a new FM, a software for low vision and so on), interpreters, notetakers, CART providers, PowerPoint and so on... request them through your "special needs" or "students with disability" office about at least 4 months prior.

Oh, and if you need any services like new technology (ie. hearing aid replacements, a new FM, a software for low vision and so on), interpreters, notetakers, CART providers, PowerPoint and so on... request them through your "special needs" or "students with disability" office about at least 4 months prior.

Agreed. I have been to hearing school since 6th grade. it been good so far. now I am in 10th grade

Again, good advice. People don't realize that it takes time to get these services in place. Accommodations can rarely be accomplished on short notice.

what advice would you give to me if i decide to go to hearing school?
Is this for high school? Pick a school with a large subpopulation of dhh kids or that has a formal dhh program.
Do NOT do " regular school regular classes" with minimal accomondations, unless you're really high acheiver, or have gotten on well with minimal accomondations in the past.
You could do both maybe. Take some classes at the Deaf School (instead of one on one time with a teacher of the Deaf) and then some classes at a mainstream school.

Since I've been mainstreamed all my life (preK-12th), I could say couple suggestions,

Don't feel bad about sitting in the front row. It does help. Have your teacher wear an FM system if you have a problem with echo if you depend on your hearing aids instead of interpreter. Although I never went this route since I was in 4th grade (I demanded that I would wear my hearing aids instead the bodyworn) The last time I wore an FM system was in community college.

make sure teachers use a Whiteboard/projector when teaching math and such and make sure the school pick teachers who LOVES to write notes on boards. Whiteboard is a must because the teachers can face you AND keep the lights on so you can lipread/speechread. IF they don't , ask the school to invest one. And make sure the school don't pick teachers who mumble. They are the hardest to deal with.

Now this just for deaf people who don't know ASL, like myself, and who use hearing aids for speechreading.

In middle school, be prepare for teasing AND be put in LD class if they feel you are not keeping up. But in high school, you should be fine, The kids are more mature, and it is too late to put you in LD class because they want you to have a regular diploma instead of modified diploma.

Since I've been mainstreamed all my life (preK-12th), I could say couple suggestions,

Don't feel bad about sitting in the front row. It does help. Have your teacher wear an FM system if you have a problem with echo if you depend on your hearing aids instead of interpreter. Although I never went this route since I was in 4th grade (I demanded that I would wear my hearing aids instead the bodyworn) The last time I wore an FM system was in community college.

make sure teachers use a Whiteboard/projector when teaching math and make sure the school pick teachers who LOVES to write notes on boards. And teachers who don't mumble.

Now this just for deaf people who don't know ASL, like myself, and who use hearing aids for speechreading.

In middle school, be prepare for teasing AND be put in LD class if they feel you are not keeping up. But in high school, you should be fine, The kids are more mature, and it is too late to put you in LD class because they want you to have a regular diploma instead of modified diploma.

one of deaf stundent at Jl Mann dropped out because he only has one class and one same teacher all day. 830 to 330. :/. I have all regular classes, 7 periods. oh well.

one of deaf stundent at Jl Mann dropped out because he only has one class and one same teacher all day. 830 to 330. :/. I have all regular classes, 7 periods. oh well.

so did I... I had all regular classes, 7 periods in high school, but not in middle school. In Middle school, I only had English in LD class and that was it. The rest were regular classes, but I was always in regular classes

But it sounds to me that this student was put in LD class Full time.

Are you profoundly deaf like I am?

Last edited:
Well, you should research your options. School districts all over the country are cutting back on services and might not provide you with what you need.

I know they have to adhere to ADA laws but there are always a way around they can use what with the budget deficits.

Anyway, Minilee, what's the harm in trying out at CSDR? You might like it there. If not then go to a hearing school with deaf services.

Best of luck, Minilee.

Well, you should research your options. School districts all over the country are cutting back on services and might not provide you with what you need.

I know they have to adhere to ADA laws but there are always a way around they can use what with the budget deficits.

Anyway, Minilee, what's the harm in trying out at CSDR? You might like it there. If not then go to a hearing school with deaf services.

Best of luck, Minilee.

The bolded is very true, and a point well made, Miss D. It definately needs to be considered.

yeah, being deaf isnt bad at all :) but sometime frastion

yes, my advice for you is don't spend the rest of your life working hard at being hearing. Even we benefit from ASL.

I take it that this deaf person from your school either first language is ASL (the teacher is teaching him in ASL), late deafened, or He unable to keep up with hearing teachers and students because he can't hear very well and unable to benefit from hearing aids or cochlear implant as well as they thought he would. He still smart, you know. It was just the wrong strategy for him, and this is why you should NEVER criticize deaf school. It could be you.

Is this for high school? Pick a school with a large subpopulation of dhh kids or that has a formal dhh program.
Do NOT do " regular school regular classes" with minimal accomondations, unless you're really high acheiver, or have gotten on well with minimal accomondations in the past.
You could do both maybe. Take some classes at the Deaf School (instead of one on one time with a teacher of the Deaf) and then some classes at a mainstream school.

true true but do you believe hearing schools have better educaation because people on this board are say that alot. just asking please dont get mad

true true but do you believe hearing schools have better educaation because people on this board are say that alot. just asking please dont get mad

No, hearing schools do not have a better education than deaf schools.

The bolded is very true, and a point well made, Miss D. It definately needs to be considered.

they are cutting back wow?
but for what reasons..that means no matter what i will be driven to a deaf school because they cant adjust. my life is over. you see my main issue is since im older i get a say so and i have to make a choice do i want the benefit of a hearing school or a deaf school.

No, hearing schools do not have a better education than deaf schools.

thanks i get thats what many people say because true lots of my friends you can tell they write and read differently than hearing, but we deaf,hoh rock still.

Back