• myopia (nearsighted) - please specify degree

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • hyperopia (farsighted) - please specify degree

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • myopia with astigmatism - please specify degree

• hyperopia with astigmatism - please specify degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • presbyopia (condition for people over 40 yrs old).

• visually-impaired (20/50 or over)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • blind

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Nancy

Reaction score
Here's my prescription for my glasses that I currently wear:

OD: -9.00-1.25x125

which means I am very nearsighted (high myopia) with a significant amount of astigmatism. :) That means, I am qualified to be called "Miss Magoo". :)

I have trouble sometimes with very small print, and I get a little confused with a "9", "8", and a "6" because in bold print, they looked blended together. So, I could tell if it was a 9 or an 8 so I had to look even harder and read closer to clearly see it...and this is WITH GLASSES! LOL
Without glasses, almost everything is a blur. For example, when I was sitting on the breakfast nook table, looking out at our swing with a housed fence around it outside several feet away in our backyard. There were red flowers around that fence. Without my glasses, I could only see the red part but I could not really 'see' the flowers or even a clear image of the fence.....it's like all of it is a blur outside and I couldn't make out some images. The closest I can see clearly without glasses was a few inches from the computer screen to my face, reading the text.

So what about your eyesight? :) Thought it would be a very good topic to discuss! :)

Nancy

I was very near-sighted until I had laser surgery. Now I have presbyopia, so I use reading glasses for close up.

oh really ? that's cool ! i'm sure u already
knew that many deafies value their eyesights
more than their hearing so many of them are
so afraid to try laser surgery on their eyes
due to any potential error made by doctors
which might cause blindness
if u know what i mean

Last edited:
This is kind of interesting, but I don't wear glasses. I don't have any problems with my eyes so it is fine, but I know I will have to wear glasses in the future when I am older since I am younger right now (21 yrs old)

Voted for myopia (nearsighted). Both my eyes are a bit over -6.00 as I remmied. Time for me to see eye dr this year.

Reba said:
I was very near-sighted until I had laser surgery. Now I have presbyopia, so I use reading glasses for close up.

Does that painful after the laser surgery? How long would ur eyes be recovery? Out patient ?

I am not sure if my Federal Government Blue Cross and Blue shield would be coverage for this.

Nusentinsaino said:
Why would you add "Blind" if the blind cannot see the poll? wtf? lol

Uhh...what does that have to do with anything?
Blind people can use the internet. In fact, if I recall, there is a blind person that is a member of AD

Its like saying the deaf can't watch a movie or people in Wheelchairs Can't Play Basketball

Im not saying that they cant do anything! Im just making a point, that blind people cant see... so how do they know what this poll is about?

Y said:
...many deafies value their eyesights
more than their hearing so many of them are
so afraid to try laser surgery on their eyes
due to any potential error made by doctors
which might cause blindness
if u know what i mean
Yes, I know what you mean. I was nervous too!

Sabrina said:
Does that painful after the laser surgery? How long would ur eyes be recovery? Out patient ?
It didn't really hurt. It just felt like overtired eyes the next day. I didn't require any pain killer medication, just aspirin. Right after surgery, you can see. You have to wear dark sunglasses outdoors for a few days to protect your eyes, and "goggles" for bedtime for a few days/week so that you don't damage your eyes during your sleep. The surgery time for both eyes total is less than 15 minutes. It is outpatient. You do need to have someone else drive you home.

I am not sure if my Federal Government Blue Cross and Blue shield would be coverage for this.
Most insurance does NOT cover the surgery. My hubby got the surgery for me as a Christmas present surprise a few years ago.

Each year it seems the price goes down. We went to a clinic in another city, which was cheaper than the one here. It was an excellant clinic; they kept the price down because they do so many.

It was neat. The operating room has a large picture window so the people in the waiting room can watch. (They have a curtain they will close if you want privacy.) They also show your surgery on TV screens so everyone can see it close-up. My hubby could watch everything happen from the waiting room.

Nusentinsaino said:
Im not saying that they cant do anything! Im just making a point, that blind people cant see... so how do they know what this poll is about?
Blind computer users can use software such as "JAWS". The software "reads" the screen with a synthesized voice.

http://www.hj.com/fs_products/software_jaws.asp

That is one of the reasons why images on the web are supposed to have "alt text" describing them. Since the blind user can't see a picture, the software reads the alt text descripton of the picture.

Reba said:
Blind computer users can use software such as "JAWS". The software "reads" the screen with a synthesized voice.

http://www.hj.com/fs_products/software_jaws.asp

That is one of the reasons why images on the web are supposed to have "alt text" describing them. Since the blind user can't see a picture, the software reads the alt text descripton of the picture.
I've heard of something similar to this. It's interesting to see things like this. ;)

yea i need go dr and check my eyes cuz of my eyes has sometime blurr when i drive at night.. so i think it call blind night .. i got them from my grandma...

TweetyBird said:
yea i need go dr and check my eyes cuz of my eyes has sometime blurr when i drive at night.. so i think it call blind night .. i got them from my grandma...

You mean 'Night Blindness'? I have a mild case of Night Blindness myself. Have had it for over 10 years. My vision's not too bad...+1.25.

Im wear glasses only im driving or watching a game. I cant see shit from those nosebleed seats. But i dont need glasses when im watching basketball if im sitting on courtside or down in ringside seats in a wrestling match.

Nusentinsaino said:

A blind person could use voice activated software.

Back