How would you like this job?

Nancy

Reaction score
URL: http://wiki.ehow.com/Become-a-Mortician

How to Become a Mortician

If you enjoy dissecting corpses and handling them, I think this is the job for you...
Steps

1. If you have a fear of blood, you might want to overcome that because you will be working around a lot of it!

2. Sign up and take a course at a community college on medical examination and anatomy. This knowledge will help when you are faced with the task of preserving a body.

3. Read stuff on ancient mummification practices. I find that sometimes a little prior knowledge goes a long way.

4. Make sure that you are good at dissection because that is a really big part of a mortician's job.

5. Also make sure that you know exactly what you are doing. It is extremely hard not to make mistakes when preserving a body.

Tips

• A mortician's job is very tricky. There is a certain order in which it works- first, you have to drain all of the blood out of the corpse. Then you remove the organs and soft tissue from inside the corpse. After that, you replace the blood with a preservative that smells very strongly of vinegar and oils. You then apply makeup to the face of the corpse. Lastly, you dress it and prepare it in the coffin for burial. Sure you want this job?

Warnings

• Don't be mortified by the horror stories of dead people coming alive and stuff like that. It's not even close to true.

• Being a mortician is a very hard and risky job. It takes a lot of practice to finally get it right and to finish your classes. Be sure you want this job before you consider it.

• It is a little messy and you smell really bad afterwards.

Are you a mortician? I don't think I can handle that job myself. Not for me! :dizzy:

No, I am not a mortician, fortunately. I just came across this and thought that must have been a gross (i.e. sickening) occupation.....but like I said in another thread elsewhere, I don't mind seeing some photos of dead bodies.....but not in REAL LIFE. Blecch.

Nancy,
I have a friend who is studying to be a mortician. The courses she goes through are insane. Its not an easy field to get into and is part scientist and part doctor. She has been going to school for quite some time for it and still has a ways to go.

I've met a few morticians while at work and its interesting when they come in. They have a very different style personality but really seem to enjoy what they do. Most of the ones we deal with are very good about joking with each other (cold hands in the wintertime is always good for a laugh).

I do not view being a mortician as a gross or sickening occupation because if we were to leave decomposing bodies laying around in the caskets, it is considered a desecreation to the human body. We are supposed to honour the human body, think of the memories and allow for the human body to be buried in a proper way, hence the morticians as a medium for the soul to cross over. Granted the souls have crossed over however they can haunt the person that does not honour their last wishes to be buried.

To my knowledge, morticians are paid very well.

I'm sure they have a really warped sense of humor as well. :D

i was always interested in mummification in ancient egypt. . . granted that involved scrambling the brains around with a hot poker then pulling them out through the broken nasal cavity with a big hook.

although I *know* I couldn't do it. :thumbd:

Eeeek!! I would FAINT when I see dead people or get blood out from dead people.. I think it would gross me out..

This thread here remind me of my British friend at long time ago. She bathed corpes and have no fear of blood. The paid is good. She enjoyed to work for 3 years until one day.....

She and her co-worker lied corpse on the bath and suddenly the corpse stand up from lied and his arms goes on her. She was panic and scream for the help that "he's alive"..... The doctor went to check corpse and said that he's really dead but his nerves is still working.... It's natural that bodies move itself thru alive nervous :eek:

After that she was nervousbreakdown and quitted job. No wonder, it got her nightmare. :ugh2:

I know I would be glad to get the job if I'm out of work but that job, I would NEVER have!!!!!!!!! :eek:

yea, that is to attract new morticians! For me, money don't justify the diguesting job! Even a mil a year salary, I would turn it down! DAMN grin

Pvt. Parts said:
To my knowledge, morticians are paid very well.

I'm sure they have a really warped sense of humor as well. :D

Liebling:-))) said:
This thread here remind me of my British friend at long time ago. She bathed corpes and have no fear of blood. The paid is good. She enjoyed to work for 3 years until one day.....

She and her co-worker lied corpse on the bath and suddenly the corpse stand up from lied and his arms goes on her. She was panic and scream for the help that "he's alive"..... The doctor went to check corpse and said that he's really dead but his nerves is still working.... It's natural that bodies move itself thru alive nervous :eek:

After that she was nervousbreakdown and quitted job. No wonder, it got her nightmare. :ugh2:

I know I would be glad to get the job if I'm out of work but that job, I would NEVER have!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Yea it is true that the nerve is still alive for few hours. It happened to my Aunt who was RN. She had to bring the corpse down to the basement for the morticians to pick up the corpse. While doing so, she parked the gurney and then the corpse sat up in a sitting postion. Quickly my aunt put it down and strapped it down. Then she ran but she never quit her job. After the person have dies, the person get a last bath by the nurse. So anyone who want to become mortiicians should be aware that the nerve is still alive. :D I wouldnt want to do it. It doesnt gross me out but creaping feeling that all.

I would not mind being a mortician. I worked as a janitor in a necrospy (morgue) and it was fascinating. I am going into pre-med this autumn, and I look forward to my anatomy classes when I finally do it. The body is such a fascinating object.

I really think the job itself as a mortician is glorified as a gory occupation because of how Hollywood portrays it in the movies.

::glooming music in the background::

Mortician wields a knife and a blonde shrieks & runs for her life only to trip over herself!

End of story.

Bravo for Hollywood! :scatter:

When I see small blood that doesn't bother me at all, but when I see a pool of blood then I'd freak. I guess it's the color and it's lots of it. I'd much rather be Kootchie's medical assistant like me passing knives to Kootchie and let him do the slicing part. :D

Nancy said:
No, I am not a mortician, fortunately. I just came across this and thought that must have been a gross (i.e. sickening) occupation.....but like I said in another thread elsewhere, I don't mind seeing some photos of dead bodies.....but not in REAL LIFE. Blecch.

I could not deal with children or infants dead bodies. I heard, it smell really bad odor. You need to stuck the tube on dead body's big toe to draw all the blood out then put eye ball in the eyes. Put botton balls into the cheeks and mouth. The face will become extremely wrinkles and flat when you draw the blood out from that body.

I watched the lady who gave a representative about mortician to deal with the body, dress up, coffin, deal with emotional family, life insurance, etc...

It is horrible to take that kind of job.

Liebling:-))) said:

alive nerves on the cut off penis. Penis would roll over and hop in your bed. :lol: *** Liebling scream *** all of her windows crack !!! Ooops.. excuse me.. my joke is bad...

I ain't gonna perform what Dr. Albert Robbins usually do! I think it really depends on how sensitive your nose are. If your like me have "Dog" nose, this isn't something I can deal with! The smell, really vomit inducing! I can't stand foul smell, even my own fart!

Sabrina said:
alive nerves on the cut off penis. Penis would roll over and hop in your bed. :lol: *** Liebling scream *** all of her windows crack !!! Ooops.. excuse me.. my joke is bad...

:rofl: Excuse me for laugh on this thread... :rofl: Point out to Sabrina who make me laugh... :rofl:

No Wonder Sabrina, penis is everywhere in your mind.... No wonder that your American Copper got you crazy.....

Back