How will Ivy League graduate school accept me?

Ivies = Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University

But why limit yourself to just these eight of all the amazing universities in the world? If it's academics you want to pursue, look for the programs that fit your needs regardless of whether or not the school is ivy league.

What do you want to go to grad school for?

Your approach to grad school may be dependent on what your are pursuing. I am NOT familiar with the social sciences nor law, but for research sciences - you need credentials such that the professor wants to work with you. For me, it meant internships and a solid science background.

Ultimately, you want to do well in grad school (I presume). So other factors that you might want to take into consideration include accommodations. Some schools seem to have a strong support staff for setting up accommodations such as note takers and some schools rarely encounter students that need accommodations. I've been in both situations. I nearly flunked my first semester of grad school and it wasn't fun.
You also need to consider your advisor and requirements. Some advisors give guidance and advice, other advisors throw you into the fire and consider teaching or proposal writing more important. How much attention do you want from your advisor? I want you to do well in whatever you do, just don't go too fast or for the wrong reasons. You can get accepted and you might realize there are a whole lot of hoops to jump through that you don't want to do.

As for the school - you are likely only going to spend 1-6 years in grad school, the "status" of the school is irrelevant as long as your are pursuing something that YOU would like to pursue.

Best of luck to ya!

Law is an extremely competitive field as it is, but the economy has made it much worse. If you want to be a lawyer, you should have a very high GPA (3.7+) and high LSATs (I don't think there are many schools who accept below 160). For some law schools (Yale, Stanford), you will also need EXCELLENT extra-curriculars. Ideally, you would go to a school high on the USNWR list. Check out law-school-numbers.com for more info on law schools who are strictly a numbers game (e.g., Harvard).

For graduate school...get high GRE scores, above 700 for verbal/quantitative/analytical and very high on the writing portion (highest you can get is six). Make sure your research interests match the professors' at the school you're applying to. Your personal statement is crucial, too. Also, it does not hurt to have strong reference letters from professors with whom Harvard is acquainted.

Above all, though...you should go to AA and the career offices. They are your MOST reliable sources of information regarding graduate school. Professor Penna is the law advisor if you are interested in law school. Don't rely on posters in an Internet forum. Arguments ad populum and testimonials are NOT reliable evidence. Do not even trust this posting because I did not include citations (I don't have time right now).

Ivy League law school. you need a very good English skill - both reading and writing. because the law is all about reading law books and writing thousands of papers.

or you can be a public defender :aw:

Ivy League law school. you need a very good English skill - both reading and writing. because the law is all about reading law books and writing thousands of papers.

or you can be a public defender :aw:

EVERY law school requires excellent English skills as well as critical thinking skills. The LSAT's Reading section contains passages of usually around 500 words. Reading is definitely a skill useful in law (and every field), but the law demands close attention to detail, analytical skills, and the ability to construct arguments in a meaningful way. In addition, you should have excellent public speaking and research skills.

If you cannot read/write English at a native or near-native level, I would not advise going to law school, especially an English-speaking one. English is also generally the lingua franca of international law as well.

P.S. - Public defenders must go to law school, must pass the bar exam, and still must have impeccable English skills.
P.P.S. - Not a lawyer, but planning to take the LSAT and GRE. Father is a lawyer who graduated from top-tier law school.

Last edited:
at least 3.0 gpa...i do not know if they will like...i remember one public university told that my gpa is low for enroll but this university is public like lots people...but in ivy league seems like high demand work and expectation, would challenge for me.

GPA and GRE scores are only 2 of the criteria for acceptance. You also need to have an impressive CV with volunteer work, academic awards, community involvement, research participation, etc. Remember, when applying to grad school all the applicants have outstanding GPA and GRE scores. The difference will come in the qualifications outside that.

EVERY law school requires excellent English skills as well as critical thinking skills. The LSAT's Reading section contains passages of usually around 500 words. Reading is definitely a skill useful in law (and every field), but the law demands close attention to detail, analytical skills, and the ability to construct arguments in a meaningful way. In addition, you should have excellent public speaking and research skills.

If you cannot read/write English at a native or near-native level, I would not advise going to law school, especially an English-speaking one. English is also generally the lingua franca of international law as well.

P.S. - Public defenders must go to law school, must pass the bar exam, and still must have impeccable English skills.
P.P.S. - Not a lawyer, but planning to take the LSAT and GRE. Father is a lawyer who graduated from top-tier law school.

Hello, you are so familiar...

are you student at gallaudet, you may know me...I am well known person, members of international studies club, runner, and former sbg, asian american, and major in communication studies. I have take few government courses.

I am still student of Gallaudet University and be in fifth year, will go graduate school next year.

communication major.. well, those majors is mentioned is suppose to be in criminal justice as i believe.

pass the bar exam is hardest thing to take in california and new york.

Back