How to Teach 1 & 2 Way Hearing Alerts to Your Dog

viadogstraining

Reaction score
I have just posted a couple of posts on training one way sound alert (there is a sound you need to attend to!) and two way sound alerts (there is a sound and follow me to the source!) on my 'how to' blog (top link below).

Have a look and see if it might help you train your dog!

A CC video will follow at some point.

:ty: viadogstraining!! I am dog trainer and have done some service dog work but nothing specifically w/signal alert dogs although have seen some about it
I have taught <shaped> my Rottie girlie to do some assistance dog tasks and she works to visual as well as auditory cues but this can help w/the sounds - hubby deaf w/o BTE's and I am new hoh-

:ty:I have taught <shaped> my Rottie girlie to do some assistance dog tasks and she works to visual as well as auditory cues but this can help w/the sounds - hubby deaf w/o BTE's and I am new hoh-

Hope it helps! I had to sensitize Jessie to the sound first (by c/t for listening, then reacting-looking at the sound) before I moved on to the alert behavior and then combining the sound with the alert behavior.

She is not a dog I would have picked as an actual hearing alert dog-too laid back but once she had the idea, it was amazing how quickly she generalized. I started training her to go bed for a knock on the door, but her first offered behavior was to alert me with a nudge on my leg! I am finding now she is more aware of specific trained sounds (and even verbal cues!) than she was before. Which, for her, is a good thing!

yes, :ty:
I think once dogs "learn how to learn" they pick up things more quickly than w/compulsion-based training. I am crossover trainer and have been using clicker for a couple of years now. My Rottie offers many behaviors so I think if we could start to reinforce alerting to a noise, she'd quickly get the hang of it-

have u done any work w/Parkinson's Walker or seizure-alert dogs?

My hearing dog was trained to touch me with nose , but he decided it was better to tap me with his paw! When I training him to tell me the clock was going off he tap me with his paw and if I did not get up , my dog would push me with his paw! I tried get him to it the right way , but he still use his paw! It is rather funny!

My hearing dog was trained to touch me with nose , but he decided it was better to tap me with his paw! When I training him to tell me the clock was going off he tap me with his paw and if I did not get up , my dog would push me with his paw! I tried get him to it the right way , but he still use his paw! It is rather funny!

Snickers was actually trained to bark at me and take me to the source. She paws me instead and, especially in the mornings, it doesn't matter where she does it. Paw in the eye, I'm awake now. Other times, she just slightly paws the bed and she knows that wakes me up.

I loved that video, it should be helpful for me when I get a dog one day!

I have just posted a couple of posts on training one way sound alert (there is a sound you need to attend to!) and two way sound alerts (there is a sound and follow me to the source!) on my 'how to' blog (top link below).

Have a look and see if it might help you train your dog!

A CC video will follow at some point.

You ROCK! I've been reading Lend Me an Ear and trying to teach my 15 month old pup to alert. He only knows to go to the sound so far. But now that I saw your video, I can't wait to try this with him. My biggest challenge is that I live alone and not many visitors, so no helper. :aw:

haven't taught any signalling skills yet but have taught my young Rottie girl to close cabinet, dresser and fridge doors, and pick up spoon dropped on floor and bring it to me; also taught "lights off and on" and "up-touch" skill

You ROCK! I've been reading Lend Me an Ear and trying to teach my 15 month old pup to alert. He only knows to go to the sound so far. But now that I saw your video, I can't wait to try this with him. My biggest challenge is that I live alone and not many visitors, so no helper. :aw:

You don't need a helper, MS. But, 15 months old is a little young to start heavy-duty training. Good luck!

Ok, cool. I will have to keep that in mind. Very clear description of what should be done. I was wondering for long time how it was done.

Snickers was actually trained to bark at me and take me to the source. She paws me instead and, especially in the mornings, it doesn't matter where she does it. Paw in the eye, I'm awake now. Other times, she just slightly paws the bed and she knows that wakes me up.

I would be wide awake if I got poke in my eye by a dog paw! You need to safety glasses to bed!

I only get poked in the eye if I'm close to the edge. Otherwise, my girl wakes me up with a simple nudge. :)

Back