How to motivate him?

just a heads up.... im drunk, and I taught a few people signed words tonight... and after that...I was able to converse with them in sign...

People can learn quickly, just sayin'...

so... you teach ASL better after a few beers?

My boyfriend did GREAT last night! My hearing aid died, and didnt feel like changing the battery. He signed to me all day and learned a lot! I was surprised he knew more than I thought he did, and what he didnt he fingerspelled and I showed him the sign so he started using it. I am happy!

My boyfriend did GREAT last night! My hearing aid died, and didnt feel like changing the battery. He signed to me all day and learned a lot! I was surprised he knew more than I thought he did, and what he didnt he fingerspelled and I showed him the sign so he started using it. I am happy!

*SO* happy for you.

My son act like he do not know sign unless forced to.

That is nice hear you are happy!

Thanks guys! I was so surprised! He continue to surprise me and learn more and more everyday :)

I've got one (hopefully important) question. Just how long does it normally take to learn ASL? I'm HOH and I've been trying to pick it up in various ways, and I've noticed it's very hard. (Probably due to the fact I using books and not interacting with anybody)

Now I've been trying for over a year and I don't know if it's just a cognitive barrier or if it's something else that's leaving me a 'total failure' so to speak. And I'm my wondering if the boyfriend is in a similar quandary as myself - just not getting it yet. :(

I've got one (hopefully important) question. Just how long does it normally take to learn ASL? I'm HOH and I've been trying to pick it up in various ways, and I've noticed it's very hard. (Probably due to the fact I using books and not interacting with anybody)

Now I've been trying for over a year and I don't know if it's just a cognitive barrier or if it's something else that's leaving me a 'total failure' so to speak. And I'm my wondering if the boyfriend is in a similar quandary as myself - just not getting it yet. :(

I'm taking ASL class and very impressed with how much I pick up in class that I don't on the internet or from books and dvds or even from deaf friends. Having a very good teacher really helps give a strong foundation from which you can more easily expand your knowledge of ASL. You get that real life experience and practice of using ASL with the teacher and with the other students. Real life learning is far more dimensional and makes you really flex your ASL muscles.

Have you looked into taking a class?

I'm taking ASL class and very impressed with how much I pick up in class that I don't on the internet or from books and dvds or even from deaf friends. Having a very good teacher really helps give a strong foundation from which you can more easily expand your knowledge of ASL. You get that real life experience and practice of using ASL with the teacher and with the other students. Real life learning is far more dimensional and makes you really flex your ASL muscles.

Have you looked into taking a class?

I've been looking for one either in community service classes or traditional college classes that I can afford. I've tried seeking financial assistance from state of MN but was told by them that it's not worth my time (they think it's better that I don't learn ASL!) and they said it's not something they'd help me with because of that... :|

how about introducing a your own sex game but with a new twist, start with everythng in sign, BUT but really realyl flirty and dirty -that would let me see the fun side of signing...
just food for thoughts...
try put in his shoes, learn sign ..learn sign ..learn sign ..learn sign ..learn sign and no rewards its boring the shit out of him?? much?

just a different opinion, hope this fresh drop in idea might help? otherwise move on, drop him. but dont do this yet untill you try spark it off < BUT
BUT the catch is
he MAY have been seeing someone else...
so thats might be another thing going on so becareful what you decide.. or if you decide my suggestion...just be aware it Might back fire, you up to you to weight it up, consider this, are you strong enough with a thickish skin to handle a back fire after this attempt? then go ahead...if not maybe best solution is to drop him ..and or ask whats the problem...(when doing this, DON'T bring in Your concerns of not signing because that would just give him excuses to hide the real issue from you...
thats all i can say...

try picture yourself (pretend you are him) are you becomeing boring and obsessed with teaching/learning sign? you may not believe it, but realise this other people ACTUALLY feels Different they are NOT you...so yeah sometime we are not so receptive so that is to be aware of it, O K

Good luck on any thing you decide, also be mature about it on which ever way its outcome, but yah try be the sexy one, might help, im not a girls magazine editor or anything im a guy and i know what guys thinks about...so try see it from this perspective which is what all im trying to say...
once again Good luck and most important Have fun

Back