How to explain isolation?

being at the edge of a conversation is the loneliest place in the world...

Well, my ways are different than most. When I started losing my hearing the thought of being isolated was probably my biggest fear. What I did was force myself to control the conversation.....I basically never shut up. :lol: If you are funny that will help too.

Getting into the local Deaf group would suggest learning ASL for starters.
Easy for you? Time for study?

You mentioned "other health problems" as a factor on decrease social interaction plus CI "issues". Can either be decreased?

ASL was very difficult for me for some reason. I tried in college, but its probably worth another shot. Can you recommend a way to learn ASL?

I've been trying for a long time to fix the health problems. Some are getting better slowly, but i fear that at my age, 38 (not so young i guess), they will not improve more.

The CI issues are related to the fact that it seems people treat me like an injured bird, more now with the CI, than before. Some of it is perceived incorrectly but the majority is actual behaviors.

Having stopped learning ASL almost 15 years ago- I am not in a position to advise anyone re: the "best way to learn".
aside: I am twice your age right now.

Although I have had my Implant for 5 1/2 years have never perceived that anyone thought I was an "injured bird" because of it.

One's acceptance of a highly visible device? Advice given by Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section and the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto

I used to be a more social person, but then lost my hearing. I got a CI and 80% hearing back in one ear. I didn't become as social as i used to be, though, after the CI.

Recently my family has been badgering me that I "have to get out more".

How do i explain and get through to them that it is still difficult to be as social as I used to be because i still can't hear as well as them?

demand that THEY plug their ears for a week and be social as always.

Fuzzy

Dr Phil highly visible device seems like it could be one part of the problem, but it is both myself and the others who have changed behaviors.

Saying you have not experienced the same is no guarantee that my perception of their change in behavior is false.

"Injured bird" refers to treating me with too much empathy... like an injured bird. I can give examples if you'd like?

Fuzzy, :) I think i'll do that. Put silly putty in their ears when they're sleeping. :)

I think the real reason for isolation is that I can't read people's cue's anymore. It's difficult to know when a conversation ends and I usually interrupt during one. Because of this, you come off different to hearing people. They automatically pick up this difference, IMO.

In addition, I find I lead the conversation so that I know what is being talked about. (I actually had a friend and girlfriend get into an argument over this, sadly)

All these things can come off as being rude to those who do not understand it.

I agree with you- danb that others, reactions, mine included may NOT be yours. However iit is you that posed the questions. Perhaps a specific with your doctor etc can be of "some value" on how to deal with what you consider "problems".

My dictionary-Oxford Canadian- defines "empathy" ability to identify oneself mentally with a person or thing and so understand THEIR feelings or meaning.

On the face of it-too much "understanding" seem difficult to actualize.

Is this an instance of trying to answer from one's life experience-to date?

That happens to me a lot too, not being able to follow the conversation based on regular cues.

Anyone know where i can find resources for social events for deaf people?

Good thread!....I too, became "isolated" when I lost my hearing.....and was fighting off depression as much as I could. Wasn't easy, and seemed no one really understood why I felt "so alone."....

There have, and still will be, times of feeling so isolated, and yes, at times I don't like people at all....Even at times avoided my best friend, not liking something she did or said or how she felt.....kept to myself...but I get out as much as I can, into the sunshine, it helps......AD has brought me "out" so much...

MY love for animals, especially Dogs has been a life saver....I've always had a Dog....and I make notes of projects that I want to start and try to accomplish something everyday.

I used to be a more social person, but then lost my hearing. I got a CI and 80% hearing back in one ear. I didn't become as social as i used to be, though, after the CI.

How do i explain and get through to them that it is still difficult to be as social as I used to be because i still can't hear as well as them?

it easy to become depressed,your family are only trying to do what they think is best...it not easy seeing your child how ever old they are with draw into themselves

no, better yet, pus out some expanding foams into their ears while they're a asleep LOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP_8gJCNQE[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0rDLb4qrU8]A Day in the Life of Deaf Culture-Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugCdUzfeBj0]A Day in the Life of Someone who is Deaf, Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Expanding foam... eek! :)

I've been thinking about getting a dog. Only thing holding me back is health care bills for it. Too much.

Those are very interesting videos.

I need to find some local resources. If anyone has some in the Massachusetts area please let me know.

Back