How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean that you said that deaf children should be required to be exposed to ASL and spoken language. What if a Deaf parent doesn't want their child exposed to spoken English, just written. Is that ok?

That would be like asking if it is ok if hearing parents dont want their hearing children to be exposed to ASL, wouldn't it?

I would strongly encourage it to those Deaf parents.

Sitting in a classroom not knowing what is going on and being lost. Missing out on learning opportunities because spoken language is not fully accessible to them.

Being left out in social situations and dealing with identity issues.

There are many more.

So you are speaking from personal experience here, this is where it becomes sticky.

Your proselytism stems from your personal experience and it does affect other parents' choices.

Not all children will go through what you and I went through.

I went through similar experiences like you and I still believe children should be allowed their own personal individual journey; learning their own identity.

We cannot determine their own identity, the child does.

So you are speaking from personal experience here, this is where it becomes sticky.

Your proselytism stems from your personal experience and it does affect other parents' choices.

Not all children will go through what you and I went through.

I went through similar experiences like you and I still believe children should be allowed their own personal individual journey; learning their own identity.

We cannot determine their own identity, the child does.

Then how do you promote the improvement of literacy skills of deaf children overall?

How do you promote deaf children have equal access as their heairng counterparts do in the educational setting?

That would be like asking if it is ok if hearing parents dont want their hearing children to be exposed to ASL, wouldn't it?

I would strongly encourage it to those Deaf parents.

So you would legislate the hearing parents choice but not the Deaf parents? They are free to decide what they do and don't think is important?

I don't think they are free to let the students fall behind. When I was falling behind, they forced me and my mom to put me in LD English. There was nothing she could to stop them. Really. Unless she pull me out and put me in a deaf school but she didn't do that because I didn't know ASL.

Then how do you promote the improvement of literacy skills of deaf children overall?

How do you promote deaf children have equal access as their heairng counterparts do in the educational setting?

Depends on the child.

With the Bi-Bi approach, Deaf children are at par with their hearing peers in literacy levels.

ASL and English comes hand in hand therefore equal access is provided.

Those who struggle with literacy skills improve through ASL Immersion.

So you would legislate the hearing parents choice but not the Deaf parents? They are free to decide what they do and don't think is important?

Hearing parents have no choice. If they dont allow their children to have access to spoken language, they would be in jail for neglect wouldnt they?

With the Bi-Bi approach, Deaf children are at par with their hearing peers in literacy levels.

ASL and English comes hand in hand therefore equal access is provided.

Those who struggle with literacy skills improve through ASL Immersion.

Ok, that I agree with

However, do you agree with oral-only deaf ed policies?

Not if they were providing ASL.

ASL only without exposure to the spoken language in the educational setting? They would get a lot of flak and maybe reported to CPS for that for their hearing children. Even many deaf parents, including myself, have hired speech therapists for our hearing children when they were small because we understand the importance of giving them access to spoken language.

ASL only without exposure to the spoken language in the educational setting? They would get a lot of flak and maybe reported to CPS for that for their hearing children. Even many deaf parents, including myself, have hired speech therapists for our hearing children when they were small because we understand the importance of giving them access to spoken language.

I know several hearing kids from Deaf families that attend voice off ASL schools. No one is taking their kids away.

I know several hearing kids from Deaf families that attend voice off ASL schools. No one is taking their kids away.

I am talking about hearing kids of hearing parents.

The gov't would not allow hearing kids in deaf school. How is that possible?

The gov't would not let hearing kids in deaf school. How is that possible?

Maybe Charter schools?

I cant imagine any hearing kids in deaf schools because of the government. I would love to have my son at the BiBi program at the local Deaf school but I dont have that right and I have accepted it because my son is hearing, not deaf.

I would love it too because hearing kids don't understand CODAs

Yeah they can. They attend my daughter's bi-bi school. It is a state school for the deaf.

Wow! Must be soooo nice!!! I would give my right arm and leg to enroll my son in a Bibi program at the local deaf schools but the state wont allow it. Lucky!!!

Wow! Must be soooo nice!!! I would give my right arm and leg to enroll my son in a Bibi program at the local deaf schools but the state wont allow it. Lucky!!!

me too!! As long as spoken language is being used (like oral interpreter) and hearing children can help deaf children expand their world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back