How old was your child?

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
What was the age of your child when getting off the bottle and drinking from a cup ?....

I took all my three children off the bottle at the age of 1 since my boys' doctor made the recommendation to do so. My doctor told me that it would help prevent tooth decay and the possibility of breaking off the nipple which cause choking....

Bottle Battles

Good Thread :hug:

Same here likewise at the age of 1 both of my boys were off the bottle and was on slip-cup. Their doctor have told me the same thing about tooth decay also. I've seen pictures of it too and wasn't a pretty sight. :eek:

Now,that are older they aren't on slip-cup they are using cups without lids. or they use 8oz plastic glass (sometimes with straws if we have some.) :giggle:

Yeah, my boys are off bottles before they turned 1. My youngest who is only 14 months. uses sippy cup, drinks from straw and sports bottle with push up tab thing on the top. He is learning how to drink from cup with my support.

I mix apple juice w water because if you give straight apple juice, causes more decay also. that's what the dr told me. a friend of mine, her son is 15 months still on bottle. and a cousin of mine, her son is 2 and is on bottle. okaaayyyy. :fruit:

I tried everything to give my 1st son cup after bottle but he prefer bottle until he was 15 months old at last.

My 2nd son don't drink bottle. I breastfed him for 9 months then change to cup. He also don't use pafaic (dummy), too.

For me, it depends on the kid...some are ready to be weaned off of the bottle sooner than others - for my son, he was a year and a couple months old when I started him on to sippy cups.

I started my daughter on a cup at 6 months with juice in it. When she was about 1yr I was able to easily take the bottle away.

I forgot to add that both of my boys started sip-cup at the age of 6 months with help from me showing them how to held the sip-cup, then they learned how to held it on their own a few weeks afterwards. ;)

I think it was before age one. Sippy cups weren't invented back then, so she had to use regular cups.

Good Thread. Um I did not have own child. I adopted my son at the age of 2 which he didn't drink by any bottles or breastfeeding. When he came into my life and he been drinking by milk since.

Rest of my children were stop using bottle turned 8 mos old and taught them using training cup. Went well smooth. :)

Interesting and vital information ^Angel^ you've submitted in this thread--

As for my children, all three of them were weaned off the bottle prior to their first b-day...doing away with all the forumlas, sterilizing the bottles/nipples, etc.

Good information pertaining to the possible effects of prolonging the use of a bottle or using one at night time! Sure is something for anyone to reconsider or think about.... ;)

Well, my nephew gave up his bottle somewhere around 18 mos to 2 yrs of age. My niece is three and a half, and she still takes her bottle every now and then. Due to a condition she was born with, she can't drink regular milk, and needs a special formula to survive. She will need it for life. For some reason, she won't take her "milk" unless it's from a bottle. I don't know when my sister is going to put her foot down and take the bottle away, but it's not gonna be pretty when she does. The child is very strong willed. Anyway, my niece knows how to drink from a cup, and she does. She'll drink any thing from a cup, except her milk. God help us when this child is 15, though...Lord help us all..

:lol:

I breastfeed my babies till one year old then they drank out of cups.

My son was about 1 when we got rid of the bottle. Now we use a cup that has a soft tip (like a bottle) which is the only cup he will take. Only problem is he bites holes in the cups any suggestions on how to get him off that kind of cup and onto a normal cup?

stopped before my son turned 1.. now is been using sippy cups.. sometimes regular cups..

my yongest son who is 16 months drinks from straw from the cup....no sippy cups anymore.....whew..

I breastfed my son till almost 14 months old. Since he was 8 months old, he used sippy cups (for water or juice mixed with water). He stopped using sippy cup at age 2 1/2 years old. My goal was by age 3. I've see some kids at age from 3 to 6 still using sippy cup. I was like huh? No! My son now using regular cup and had no problem drink out of it. He also use the sport bottle too. He used straws once a while.

My two sons, Austin and Kieran, stopped using bottles when they were a year old and used sip cups.. Kieran still uses sip cups (the kind with straws-sometimes he can drink regular cups with help, by himself, he makes a big mess :dizzy: ) Austin drinks regular cups, stopped sip cups when he was about 3. My baby son, Sean is still using a bottle for formula, he's not 1 yet, will be on September 23rd. I plan to start weaning him off slowly soon before he turns 1 with sip cups with regular milk.

Back