HOw often do you talk with your significant other?

Well, there are people who are chatty and use texting over IM. With the sidekick and smartphones these days, it's not really that hard to talk a lot.

Nothing wrong with people who have that personality, right?
Just because something is technologically possible doesn't mean it has to be carried out.

Do people really have so many fascinating messages to send? :giggle:

I would agree nothing wrong with texting 87 times if you carry your smartphone/sidekick with you. It's not that hard to get up to 87 texts with someone if you really tried!!
I hope no one is driving during all that texting.

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity.

Just because something is technologically possible doesn't mean it has to be carried out.

Exactly. although i admit there are days when my boyfriend and I were especially chatty and txted a lot just because we had those days when we really hard a hard time not being with each other and txted about nothing at all just for the sake of having that contact.

That is what I wonder as well.
Heck, I do not even HAVE a cellphone!

Wow...I did the dating and relationship in the old fashioned way. Never experienced a relationship based on texting. I am learning a lot here.
Same here.

Most of my texting is for business or shopping reminders. :lol:

My hubby and I text each other sometimes even in the same place. :lol:
We do that when we shop, especially at Lowes. "Where u at?" :lol:

Yes. You sound too needy.

Yeah, I guess I do sound needy. If I keep worrying about this, any women will look the other way. Not just my girlfriend, but any women.

I've went to 2 therapy to talk about this. I don't know if I want a third session. THis is kind of embarrassing to me.

I do like to talk a lot. I know that my girlfriend loves me.

Do anyone thinks it is a Deaf/hearing issue? You know where deaf people thrive on getting a lot of texts per day, but hearing people don't need as many texts per day to thrive.

Yeah, I guess I do sound needy. If I keep worrying about this, any women will look the other way. Not just my girlfriend, but any women.

I've went to 2 therapy to talk about this. I don't know if I want a third session. THis is kind of embarrassing to me.

Do anyone thinks it is a Deaf/hearing issue? You know where deaf people thrive on getting a lot of texts per day, but hearing people don't need as many texts per day to thrive.

Derek, keep in mind that the most attractive quality in a man in confidence. I had a boyfriend who was so needy he would ask me every day, sometimes twice a day if I still loved him. Then when it progressed to waking me up in the middle of the night to ask if I still loved him, i dumped him. that degree of insecurity was truly turning me off. He had many great qualities, sweet, loving, attentive, caring, funny and was a very gifted writer and poet but in the end, it was his neediness that drove me away.

If you're needy for attention even though you have a girlfriend who loves you and who txts you every day then that's not healthy.

I think it's personality, is what I'm trying to say. Looking at it from other people's shoes, not my own personal attitude on texting. Some people like to talk, and they do so a lot from my experience. Some do it by talking on the phone for 3 hours a day, or texting 50 times a day. Some people post here on the forum 30 times or more a day.

Is there something wrong with being a talkative person?
(All disorders and psychological problems aside, of course.)

Derek, keep in mind that the most attractive quality in a man in confidence. I had a boyfriend who was so needy he would ask me every day, sometimes twice a day if I still loved him. Then when it progressed to waking me up in the middle of the night to ask if I still loved him, i dumped him. that degree of insecurity was truly turning me off. He had many great qualities, sweet, loving, attentive, caring, funny and was a very gifted writer and poet but in the end, it was his neediness that drove me away.

If you're needy for attention even though you have a girlfriend who loves you and who txts you every day then that's not healthy.

Just curious....when you dumped him, did you just completely stop talking to him---ignoring all texts, messengers, E mails? Or did you just tell him, you know, maybe it's better for us to look in another direction. Maybe relationship is not such a great thing for 2 of us?

During my time, I didn't have a cell phone. So I usually call my BF (now husband) sometmes 4 times a week, just an hour for couple of months. If I had a cell phone. i had no idea how to manage to text him every 20 minutes. I dont think because I need to focus on reality so i can continue to work or my own (memememe) life, Not a cellphone life.

Just curious....when you dumped him, did you just completely stop talking to him---ignoring all texts, messengers, E mails? Or did you just tell him, you know, maybe it's better for us to look in another direction. Maybe relationship is not such a great thing for 2 of us?

I tried to be as kind as possible when I dumped him. We sat down and had a long chat and I told him that I didn't think I was the right kind of girl for him. He was very heartbroken and didn't talk to me for a long time but we're good friends now, we still get together for a coffee once in a while for we live in the same neighbourhood. He's now very happily married to someone else by the way :)

I'm kind of spoiled in a way. I'm not expecting anyone to text or AIM me 24/7, but sometimes I wish a person would text me like 40 or 50 times a day instead of 5 or 10 times. Do you think I'm asking for too much?

oh my god! yes that would be too much for me. I'm not too big on texting. I prefer either talking in person or thru IM.

You went to therapy to talk about this? What is "this"?

Not true. I have seen several co workers of mine who are hearing and texting all day. They told me that they met someone that they want to reply but they have to focus on working. On their break, they do text a lot. My co worker told me that she prefers text than calling because text gives some times to reply back and forth that is easier for her and others.

You went to therapy to talk about this? What is "this"?

About my self esteem---about how I feel about getting only 5 to 10 texts a day. SOmetimes, I feel like I'm not a priority if I don't get enough texts. That is why it is important for me to go to therapy to talk about my feelings.

About my self esteem---about how I feel about getting only 5 to 10 texts a day. SOmetimes, I feel like I'm not a priority if I don't get enough texts. That is why it is important for me to go to therapy to talk about my feelings.

oh gotcha.

Jeez...it would drive me insane if someone texted me 50 times a day....Just the other day, my son's friend was invited to eat dinner with us. She sat down at the table and immediately started texting. I told her in a firm manner, no texting at the dinner table....she looked "upset"...She could not even hold a conversation, she had to text it....

And I noticed my boys also, they text a lot. (too much in my opinion)...I have a rule: no internet or texting after 10pm, and never at the dinner table or during family conversations.

As for texting an SO, a few texts a day should suffix...otherwise, it would seem that the other person is intent on knowing where you are/what you are doing every minute of the day.

I dated a guy a few years back that turned into a stalking nightmare that went on for over a year (even tho he and I only dated a few months). He'd text me in the morning before I was awake and then get mad if I didn't answer back right away. I'm sorry, I was sleeping!! He'd text me on every break and get mad again. He texted every evening that we weren't together and demand to know where I was and what I was doing. I dumped him and ended up having to call police to file reports when he continued to text non-stop after, for a year! Anyways I do think there is such a thing as too much texting in a relationship.

Back