How many of you had ASL as first Language and English as second

A

Reaction score
Just curious.

My daughter is "ASL first". English will not be introduced until it's time to learn to read.

My now-4YO started with ASL at 1YO ( ASL playgroups, ASL parent infant program, family sign classes, ASL daycare, and ASL-using Language professionals & audiologist ) and added spoken English at 2Y after receiving her first CI.

Actually, children are supposed to start reading as soon as possible.

At not quite 3 and a half, I don't see reading as being a possible expectation, especially for a child who doesn't have a firm grasp on her first language yet. English and 'hard core' reading readiness will start in 4K. She already recognizes the alphabet and can sign a little more than half the letters and match them to their printed counterparts.

you should label everything. They may not grasp but you are showing her the important of reading. It's more of a role model. That's why many parents read to their babies

you should label everything. They may not grasp but you are showing her the important of reading. It's more of a role model. That's why many parents read to their babies

Label, label, label. is the best way to do it. Kids will learn to recognize words at an early age.

I have taught two year old twins, a years ago to get their own shoes by just putting a C on one of them and a M on the other since their shoes were the same. they look and recognize the letters knowing which on is their shoe.

Never too early to teach a child to read.

Label, label, label. is the best way to do it. Kids will learn to recognize words at an early age.

I have taught two year old twins, a years ago to get their own shoes by just putting a C on one of them and a M on the other since their shoes were the same. they look and recognize the letters knowing which on is their shoe.

Never too early to teach a child to read.
Yes , and flash cards with the word and a picture of the object are great too.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but prereading skills/reading readiness is not the same as reading. They are early and very necessary steps toward reading, but not actual reading and comprehension of written language.

We have the prereading skills by the horn. Lables on everything, picture schedules with English words and fingerspelling and/or sign pictures, picture menus with words/signs, captioning on the TV (even when she's not watching), practicing early writing skills, endless hours in front of a mirror for read-a-longs with signing and whatnot.

However, actual reading - hand a kid a book to read on their own - doesn't happen for a while yet. THAT is when English language learning will happen.

none.

since birth...
1st language - Korean (currently non-existent)
2nd language - English (100% fluent - spoken & written)
3rd language - Spanish (not fluent)
4th language - ASL (working on my fluency with this)

None for me as well

first language probably was pointing.

I use spoken language long before I was in preschool. I wore a bodyworn FM system in the mainstream public school. I was the only deaf from k-12th grade.

I'm profound deaf since birth.

I remember seeing a kid at age two read a whole book like an encyclopedia without any problems.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but prereading skills/reading readiness is not the same as reading. They are early and very necessary steps toward reading, but not actual reading and comprehension of written language.

We have the prereading skills by the horn. Lables on everything, picture schedules with English words and fingerspelling and/or sign pictures, picture menus with words/signs, captioning on the TV (even when she's not watching), practicing early writing skills, endless hours in front of a mirror for read-a-longs with signing and whatnot.

However, actual reading - hand a kid a book to read on their own - doesn't happen for a while yet. THAT is when English language learning will happen.

You are correct. That's why adults read to babies and young children and then transition to the children reading on their own.

M daughter's first language was ASL. Though she was hearing until she was 15 months, so she heard English all that time, and had a few baby words when she started losing her hearing. Started ASL at 12 months, really stepped it up at 18 months when her loss was discovered. She was age appropriate in pre-school. At age 5 she received a cochlear implant and we began emphasising English again. She has gained 4+ years of English language in the 18 months since she was activated. She is also reading and writing at very close to age appropriate levels. (She's a tiny bit behind in phonics because the concepts were not introduced at all until this fall.)

Though she was hearing until she was 15 months, so she heard English all that time, and had a few baby words when she started losing her hearing.
OT, but that could be why she's hearing so well with her implant. Her brain knows how to process sound the way a hearing person's would. I really do think part of the difference in benifit from CI, (for pediatric cases)might be that the kids who get a lot of benifit from them, had the advantage of at least a few months of hearing. They have that foundation (although not as huge as a postlingal kid)
S
he has gained 4+ years of English language in the 18 months since she was activated.
Would that be spoken language? Granted she's not exactly on par yet.....but she still has time to catch up. Even many "just hoh" kids may have significent spoken English delays....Just wondering. Have you ever had her evaluated for apraxia? I remember you saying that she had a hoh loss. Apraxia is a spoken language disorder. They can hear and understand OK, but they don't have on par spoken language.
My first language is English.....my parents ALMOST did ASL with me. And ironicly, enough until I was seven our next door neighbor was Deaf. I had poor fine motor in those days, so didn't pick it up.
My second is French (kind of funny since ASL and Deaf culture was French influenced) I can barely pronounce it, but can understand my quebecosis friend's facebook statuses.
My third is Latin.
And my fourth is ASL.

I see labels all over the house when I was a little kid and it helps me with the recongising of the objects. It definitely helps.

Due that I am a fellow Australian - below in order is my languages

1st language - AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language; Fluent)
2nd languiage - English (Spoken and written; Fluent)
3rd language - ASL (American Sign Language; Fluent)

I would have to say sign language was my first language.

Now I can speak Auslan, English and ASL.

Back