How many of you feel like you're in a budget crunch?

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

shel90 said:

I am perfectly capable of job searching on my own, but due to the high risk of major injury associated with certain jobs, my options are severely limited, and I need a low-risk job, of which there are not many of. That's what the problem is.

Sorry, that's no excuse. Why should the taxpayers support you so you can avoid high risk jobs?

Because I know what I can and can't do. Food service and stocking are not options for me anymore, and neither are overnight jobs, and demanding jobs. Any of these are on my off-limits list. When I do find a suitable job, them of course I'll notify the government. I'm an honest citizen, and know what I can and can't do, and so do the people helping me search for the right match.

Me, worried about people doing me in? As if! I go out everyday, even 1:30 or 2 in the morning, and I have no worries, because this area I live in is one of the safest there is in Chicago-- homicides are a rarity around here.

I said everyTHING not people. You have an almost irrational fear of everything, like gyms and sidewalks for example.

ambrosia said:

Me, worried about people doing me in? As if! I go out everyday, even 1:30 or 2 in the morning, and I have no worries, because this area I live in is one of the safest there is in Chicago-- homicides are a rarity around here.

I said everyTHING not people. You have an almost irrational fear of everything, like gyms and sidewalks for example.

HA! I do not. Only thing I fear is tearing my knees. That, and surgery.

My girlfriend used to work with BANK and it pays very well. Unfortunately, she had to leave her job because of baby. She stayed home as she took care of baby, then two kids then three. SO she decded to get a job at Target. Even though she has degrees but she prefers target due to convenient hours for her. So she can be there for her kids then kids go off to school. She goes to target. It depends on hours that she adjusts the hours so she wont miss kids school or activities after school. so im sure that you would find something else that is low risk job. no matter what it does not relates with your experience job.

Frisky Feline said:
My girlfriend used to work with BANK and it pays very well. Unfortunately, she had to leave her job because of baby. She stayed home as she took care of baby, then two kids then three. SO she decded to get a job at Target. Even though she has degrees but she prefers target due to convenient hours for her. So she can be there for her kids then kids go off to school. She goes to target. It depends on hours that she adjusts the hours so she wont miss kids school or activities after school. so im sure that you would find something else that is low risk job. no matter what it does not relates with your experience job.

Yes I probably could, but my heart is set on helping people, not sell goods and make a huge profit. I am content with a modest profit, as long I find a job that will actually let me help people.

Hold on.
besides Deafness as actualized in a hearing world, thus its "limitations" what other limitations do you bare?
i'm asking i'm sincere. no hostility here. i truly wish to help you work this out.
if you physical limitations or psychological ones that prevent you, disabilities even so
ditch the CANT from your vocabulary man.
please trust me on this.
you say you know what you CAN do
great. then you say you know what you CANT do. ok but then simply set goals and work to meet them to overcome those obstacles.
obstacles are not cants. they are challenges that taunt you to beat them
the battle is won first on the inside man, once you get your mind worked out
nothing will stop you.
YOOU CAN DO IT!! apply yourself. you want it? if you really WANT it
go fight and get it!!

hoichi said:
Hold on.
besides Deafness as actualized in a hearing world, thus its "limitations" what other limitations do you bare?
i'm asking i'm sincere. no hostility here. i truly wish to help you work this out.
if you physical limitations or psychological ones that prevent you, disabilities even so
ditch the CANT from your vocabulary man.
please trust me on this.
you say you know what you CAN do
great. then you say you know what you CANT do. ok but then simply set goals and work to meet them to overcome those obstacles.
obstacles are not cants. they are challenges that taunt you to beat them
the battle is won first on the inside man, once you get your mind worked out
nothing will stop you.
YOOU CAN DO IT!! apply yourself. you want it? if you really WANT it
go fight and get it!!

I have a similar mentality, but more focused on jobs I actually want to work at, and do something worthwhile, and have that feel-good feeling. THAT'S what I want. I don't want jobs that have overpriced products, and I'm setting a goal to find a job in the field of computers, because that's something I feel good about, and one I'm comfortable at.

Yes I probably could, but my heart is set on helping people, not sell goods and make a huge profit. I am content with a modest profit, as long I find a job that will actually let me help people.

U will help people by getting a job and not living off the taxpayers. It is a start. If u had been searching for jobs and being discriminated against by hearing people, then I can understand the need for govt support but not trying implies that you aren't motivated and that's what makes taxpayers frustrated. We work hard at our jobs and we don't like getting taxed to the gills to support people who refuse to look for jobs or even try.

shel90 said:

U will help people by getting a job and not living off the taxpayers. It is a start. If u had been searching for jobs and being discriminated against by hearing people, then I can understand the need for govt support but not trying implies that you aren't motivated and that's what makes taxpayers frustrated. We work hard at our jobs and we don't like getting taxed to the gills to support people who refuse to look for jobs or even try.

I hear ya. Not refusing, just trying to find the right match. I know I want to fix laptops, and such, but the store hiring me has to be the right match, and that's what I want. I'm not interested in a job where I'll be unhappy, and end up quitting. I want a job where I'll have a nice long career, and won't need to depend on government assistance ever again. That's what I'm looking for.

I have a similar mentality, but more focused on jobs I actually want to work at, and do something worthwhile, and have that feel-good feeling. THAT'S what I want. I don't want jobs that have overpriced products, and I'm setting a goal to find a job in the field of computers, because that's something I feel good about, and one I'm comfortable at.

no that is not a similar mentality to mine. its close to the opposite. th ebaove thinking will lead you right where you are now. anyway

hoichi said:

no that is not a similar mentality to mine. its close to the opposite. th ebaove thinking will lead you right where you are now. anyway

It might, but I've already chosen my field. It's where I want to work.

We got that you don't want to work sales or retail.

Do you realize that on the journey to your "comfortable" job you have to build up your resume, develop your skills, acquire solid references, get job experience, and prove your work ethics? The only way to do those things is to get training and start working, even if it isn't in your dream career.

Do you know, even if you work just stocking at Staples, BestBuy, or Office Depot, you'll become familiar with what technology is on the market?

Do you network with people in your field? Do you have a mentor? Do you belong to a local techie organization (real life, not online)?

BTW, there is no field that is injury proof. You might get a cushy desk job but fall down the stairs at the office.

Reba said:
ChicagoBlue2 said:

We got that you don't want to work sales or retail.

Do you realize that on the journey to your "comfortable" job you have to build up your resume, develop your skills, acquire solid references, get job experience, and prove your work ethics? The only way to do those things is to get training and start working, even if it isn't in your dream career.

Do you know, even if you work just stocking at Staples, BestBuy, or Office Depot, you'll become familiar with what technology is on the market?

Do you network with people in your field? Do you have a mentor? Do you belong to a local techie organization (real life, not online)?

BTW, there is no field that is injury proof. You might get a cushy desk job but fall down the stairs at the office.

Yes, I am aware of these things, and am also aware of the fact that if I work at any of the stores I'd learn a lot about technology, but I'm more focused on fixing older laptops, not the newer ones, cause those I can do, and if I were to get a job at one of these places, I certainly could learn a lot, and I'll see what I can do about that.

As for networking, I do have some contacts, yes, so that's not the problem, and I rarely need said contacts, because I can usually figure out what's wrong with a laptop within an hour, which has been the case several times, with the exception of one.

Yes, I am aware that no job is injury free, but if I were to get hurt, I'd much rather my arms or shoulders take the hit, and not my knees, as they've taken some pretty brutal hits before, and I've not yet broken a bone..

Last edited:

I hear ya. Not refusing, just trying to find the right match. I know I want to fix laptops, and such, but the store hiring me has to be the right match, and that's what I want. I'm not interested in a job where I'll be unhappy, and end up quitting. I want a job where I'll have a nice long career, and won't need to depend on government assistance ever again. That's what I'm looking for.

If you were in school, or apprenticing somewhere it would be a different matter, but it is pretty rotten for the taxpayers to support you just because you are picky about what job you take.

The plm is your only focused on what you can do. Fix older laptops? Really man? Learn to fix the things coming in, as-well as fix the old. Its not mutually exclusive. Your setting very bad limitations for yourself. That will and have up to now harmed you. As these mental limitations have prevented you from really gaining a handle on your life, time, career, ect.
its time for you young man to go break a leg.............

If you were in school, or apprenticing somewhere it would be a different matter, but it is pretty rotten for the taxpayers to support you just because you are picky about what job you take.

I'm not picky, okay? Some of my injuries from the past have forced me to change my goals on what I am able to do, and I would be open to returning back to the workforce if I didn't have the injuries I had. Now you and everyone ganging up on me is just making me more motivated to do something, so I can thank you all for that.

Yes, I am aware of these things, and am also aware of the fact that if I work at any of the stores I'd learn a lot about technology, but I'm more focused on fixing older laptops, not the newer ones, cause those I can do, and if I were to get a job at one of these places, I certainly could learn a lot, and I'll see what I can do about that.
You do realize that eventually there will be no "older" laptops for you to work on if you limit yourself?

As for networking, I do have some contacts, yes, so that's noy the problem, and I rarely need said contacts, because I can usually figure out what's wrong with a laptop within an hour, which has been the case several times, with the exception of one.
Career networking means people who can help you find a job by putting you in touch with employers and giving you a good reference.

Have you gotten any job search training at VR or school? That is, instruction in resume preparation, networking (in person and online), interviewing skills, etc.? Do you have a professional looking business card? Website?

Yes, I am aware that no job is injury free, but if I were to get hurt, I'd much rather my arms or shoulders take the hit, and not my knees, as they've taken some pretty brutal hits before, and I've not yet broken a bone..
If you have an accident you don't have a choice. An accident can happen anytime, anywhere. You might break a leg or an arm. You can take reasonable precautions but there are no guarantees in life. If you are overly cautious you will miss out on opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reba said:
ChicagoBlue2 said:

You do realize that eventually there will be no "older" laptops for you to work on if you limit yourself?

As for networking, I do have some contacts, yes, so that's noy the problem, and I rarely need said contacts, because I can usually figure out what's wrong with a laptop within an hour, which has been the case several times, with the exception of one.

Career networking means people who can help you find a job by putting you in touch with employers and giving you a good reference.

Have you gotten any job search training at VR or school? That is, instruction in resume preparation, networking (in person and online), interviewing skills, etc.? Do you have a professional looking business card? Website?

[quote}Yes, I am aware that no job is injury free, but if I were to get hurt, I'd much rather my arms or shoulders take the hit, and not my knees, as they've taken some pretty brutal hits before, and I've not yet broken a bone..

If you have an accident you don't have a choice. An accident can happen anytime, anywhere. You might break a leg or an arm. You can take reasonable precautions but there are no guarantees in life. If you are overly cautious you will miss out on opportunities.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am well aware of that, which is why I've started to help people with Windows 8, so I can better familiarize myself with the newer technology.

As for job searching, I just checked Indeed.com and CareerBuilder.com to see if there was anything interesting, and I didn't see anything, but I may need to rephrase my search.

As for interviews, yes, I've had them before, so it's not anything new to me. For VR training, it was a discussion when I had an open case, but their demanding was getting to me, and they decided to close my cases, and I've been trying to get my job searching going again for quite some time now, and I would've succeeded, if not for the bad timing of the point person resigning her position.

As for technology related stuff, well, I need an upgrade to my phone, and I spotted a decent phone well within my price range to save up for, so once I have it in my hands next month, I shall toy around with it, and take off in the cell phone field.

Last edited:
I feel this way often. I looked at my paystub today... about $27 taken out of my paycheck for Social Security, and about $17 for taxes. AUGH! instead of a $430 check, it's $360 or whatever. I could use that little extra bit.

I feel this way often. I looked at my paystub today... about $27 taken out of my paycheck for Social Security, and about $17 for taxes. AUGH! instead of a $430 check, it's $360 or whatever. I could use that little extra bit.

Over $200 is taken out every two weeks for social security and taxes. That's over $400 a month and it pisses me off when there are people out there who wont try to find jobs and get off welfare. Whats worse, they pop out multiple babies without having a job in the first place.

Back