How far is too far in your eyes of a school nurse at a Deaf School

AandEMomma

Reaction score
and
Hello all Its been a LONG time since ive been on (sorry no internet for a long time and ive missed you all)

As some of you know, I have two lovely children both Deaf like myself and we benifit from Hearing Aids. Both of my children attend Maryland School for the Deaf. I fought for over a year for my oldest son to be replaced as far as schooling from a mainstream school to a deaf school it was tough but I WON!

Well Austin, my oldest (7), is now in his second school year at MSD he is in Kindigarden and has come a LONG way he now is less frustrated and is signing like crazy we are learning signs together but not yet fluent in the Language and we do hit our "rocky" moments. Austin, like any other child loves his school nurse because she gives these really cool stickers also known as band-aids so he has many visits with her last year and this year. Last year he has seen her so much and missed so much schooling due to the fact the nurse believed he was "too sick to be in school" I picked him up like any normal parent hes been to the doctor more in the past two years than in his whole life. I couldn't tell you how many visits weren't even necessary for him to be in the doctors. Last year alone he had missed 94 school days ,and he began on the second trimester of school, alone. This year started off good id say for the first few months he didn't go to the health room at all than it started Austin had a rash, had a cold, bug bites on his body ect.. Well after we moved in our new place i discovered we had an infestation of Bed Bugs so i called the landlord told her and we immidately had an exterminator come out to address the problem. I told the school about our infestation and that we were being treated because Austin was being bit up well that was in October 2012 by December 2012 the exterminator looked at our home and told us we were bed bug free. We knew it we weren't being bit after the first initial visit with the exterminator so i told the school we were bed bug free. However, since i did tell them they have done "skin checks" on my son almost everyday he has a daily visit to the health room for some reason or another weather it be his eczema (genetic rash like skin irritation) or a common cough he is there and not only he goes there they check on him everyday to "see how he is doing" I felt it was too much time seen by the school nurse so i called a meeting i had my advocate come to advise me which way i should go with this meeting and we addressed the issues day by day. Well, I told them that i felt Austin was using the Health room as a "way out" of doing what he doesn't want to do and that maybe we should have a new behavior plan in place the school agreed well that was on February 12th i haven't heard word back yet on what this behavior plan is or how it is working. I also found through my children's pediatrician that the school nurse calls her about my children as well the nurse will call for refills and what else i don't know but the aid at the doctors told me the school calls quite often. Anyway, Last night at 7:00 pm i had a knock on my door I open it and I see a Police officer and Child Protective Services personnel here they said " I am here because we had a report about Austin concerning Child Abuse" immidately i knew who it was, the nurse, they claimed my son had bruising on his behind so i called Austin over and pulled his drawers down to show there is NO mark on his bottom however he had a small scab on his upper thigh from what i don't know it looked like a bug bite that was scratched grew a scab then picked at well the CPS worker had asked if Austin could talk to her I told her that she needed an interpreter that Austin does not talk I also told her about my meeting with the school on how often Austin was visiting the Health room i showed her the daily reports i get and showed her my recipt that i was sprayed for bed bugs . well The police took my son to the Local Hospital (John's Hopkins) in a police car with my finance' Mike well at the hospital they asked mike to leave the room while they examined and talked to Austin well during this time (in the car and hospital) Austin is crying frustrated and signing Austin Home, He wanted to come home he was scared well needless to say they didn't get anything out of Austin. I need to know besides a lawyer is there anything else i should do I really believe this nurse is out of line i do believe she is in violation of HIPPA by calling the doctor but i don't know what rules and regulations school nurses have to follow. I contacted the NAD to seek lawyer advice do you know any others in case they don't get back to me? if you need more information i will give it to you.

Thanks for reading sorry so long just need some answers and dont know where to turn

94 sick days? I wish I knew what to tell you. That's an amazing story you just shared. Wow. I wish you all the best... especially Austin.

He wasnt sick all of those days most of them are days I had to pick him up for nonsense but i always took him to the doctor per school request to prove to them he was fine.....Thanks for the well wishes I have a feeling this isnt going to be a breezy adventure we have ahead of us

He wasnt sick all of those days most of them are days I had to pick him up for nonsense but i always took him to the doctor per school request to prove to them he was fine.....Thanks for the well wishes I have a feeling this isnt going to be a breezy adventure we have ahead of us

The thing that bothers me is... how come the nurse is getting refills on medication? We have to obtain ours on our own and THEN bring it to the school. I would be petrified if someone was ordering refills in my son's name without my content. I likely wouldn't allow the school to do it ANYWAY as I wouldn't want there to be any "mistakes" made.

That does bother me She didnt call me to tell me they were out of medication and Im sorry that cant possibly be protocol to call the Doctor to order a refil id think you'd have to call the parent and the parent send it in I didnt know of this until the Doctor told me this too many unanswered questions that i have asked and was given the runaround or told its protocol i feel like they are hiding something idk maybe i over analyze things

That does bother me She didnt call me to tell me they were out of medication and Im sorry that cant possibly be protocol to call the Doctor to order a refil id think you'd have to call the parent and the parent send it in I didnt know of this until the Doctor told me this too many unanswered questions that i have asked and was given the runaround or told its protocol i feel like they are hiding something idk maybe i over analyze things

SOMEBODY'S over analyzing things for sure. After all... CPS is involved now.

yeah and unfortonatelly im being looked at for abuse and i dont even hit my kids its like wtf kind of crap is this .... I fight for over a year to get them where they need to be I moved out of my home sold my car to move closer to the school they need to be and im just getting my life back as far as a place to live and now im being accused of abuse really thease kids are barely in trouble for anything this is so absurd i dont even know where to begin i feel like no one is listening and truth is they are alot of people see what i have to go through with this nurse and its like a no win situation like why are they singling me out is it because i am 26 years old and have two disabled kids (5&7)??? if so know that im not the only one out there my age hell two kids is good compared to some at 26

No idea why you're being looked at for abuse....this is effing dumbassed.

right thats what i said would you think a parent that would abuse their kid would care to even fight over a year to have their child placed in a good school or even have to move in with their parents and be forced to sell their car to get their own home for them and their kids jeeze i live in a one bed room apt in the frickin city so the kids can attend MSD ive already been a victim of a crime someone smashed in my window while at a red light with i guess the attempts to rob me and my fiance was robbed at gun point i hate where we are but i cant afford anywhere else to live that is near a better area to where they can go to the school they attend this just "pisses me off" (sorry for the vent)

The city is Baltimore Maryland known for one of the top cities in the US for the most dangerous cities to live in Im not from here i lived in the county and grew up in the county

right thats what i said would you think a parent that would abuse their kid would care to even fight over a year to have their child placed in a good school or even have to move in with their parents and be forced to sell their car to get their own home for them and their kids jeeze i live in a one bed room apt in the frickin city so the kids can attend MSD ive already been a victim of a crime someone smashed in my window while at a red light with i guess the attempts to rob me and my fiance was robbed at gun point i hate where we are but i cant afford anywhere else to live that is near a better area to where they can go to the school they attend this just "pisses me off" (sorry for the vent)

Do you have any evidence that the nurse is the one who reported you? Is there any way that you can report her somewhere?
I wonder if the CPS report was due to the school days missed.....can you account for the days of school missed? Maybe that would help!

All that don't matter though. CPS doesn't really want to hear stories of how hard it was for you. All they care about is doing everything they can to take the child away. It's not much but my wife applied and went through the whole interview process with CPS for a case manager job. She decided against the job based on a few personal "principal" disagreements. I'm not saying it's the people that wants to take them. I'm saying STUPID policy is what makes them take kids. Focus on him and doing everything RIGHT to make CPS go away. No more personal sob stories. Just fix fix fix and clean clean clean. Be READY for surprise visits... and I think that's going to happen here considering the "hospital visit" and the "sores".

Best wishes.

My Fiance pulled out a police on it and on the report it says unfound child abuse and yes i have documentation on everything i showed CPS the health notes told her about the meeting and later on after all said and done She seemed like she believed this report was crazy but idk yes im sure i can get more hard evidence that she called if i hired a lawyer but who knows idk i just cant believe all of this My house is clean my kids are good im not scared to allow them in my home honestly that isnt my problem my main problem is how i handle this school nurse and stop the harassment from her pretty much find out if she is being a bit too ridiculous

You probably signed a release and exchange of information at some point, where you gave the school district permission to communicate with their doctors.

As far as them ordering the prescriptions for you, rather than informing you- that is bizarre.

It seems like this is an over zealous nurse. I'd be on fire if I were in your position.

You probably signed a release and exchange of information at some point, where you gave the school district permission to communicate with their doctors.

As far as them ordering the prescriptions for you, rather than informing you- that is bizarre.

It seems like this is an over zealous nurse. I'd be on fire if I were in your position.

Yeah I would do a little of my own investigation into the nurse background
try to find out where she worked before and see if she has any arrest for drug abused.

I requested all of the medical records anything from photos to nurse's notes Im looking for a lawyer I called the N.A.D and haven't got a phone call back so i have been looking around I honestly do not know where else to turn this has all spun out of control so far I know on tuesday they sent a false report home saying Emma had a red mark above her lip she didnt when she left for school and she didnt when she came home so i took photos and sent in a note asking about this "red mark" I dont know what to do anymore just doing my best

Back