How do you think Hearing society views Deaf community

Kelsey191

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this blog and I find it very interesting. First of all I am hearing and I am writing a paper on Deaf culture and Deaf Education. I want to know how you think hearing society view deafness/your culture and if hearing society understand deafness. I'm going to keep your names anonymous and I want to work with deaf children at deaf schools. Please feel free to express what on your mind, I wont judge any of you. Thank you

oK Kelsey, seek shall receive (just this once) id be generous here

Hearing people dont see Deaf people as a cultural group, they tend to see deaf people as a disabled group, with a bit of a problem (with language, attitudes, and behaviours).

More so-called "educated" professionals still hold what most hearing people believe, but they are trained to lie about their 'faith' in Deaf culture, just to keep their jobs and to pacify d/Deaf people, AND still continue to do oralism because cochlear implants is "replacing" sign language.
Sign Language is generally seen as a language of the disabled, not as a cultural language.
Sad and sick but true.

Hi I am Kelsey and my computer was acting strange so I accidently posted it twice.

Hearing people are mostly indifferent about it or just don't care at all, it's not like you will go to a party and there will be conversation about the Deaf community. For the great majority of the U.S. you're not going to walk down the street and see people signing on a daily basis. There are small pockets, but it's a very spread out group.

They see deaf people as disabled. Google and you will find some answers!
In Canada, only 20% have a full time job -.-

Hearing people see deaf people as not being able to amount to much.

How do hearies view the deafies?....:hmm:...they feel that they need to "help" the deafie..no matter what it is....as in their opinion, deafies can't help themselves...They'll pat you on the back...take your hand or arm....and lead you around like a Dog....:giggle:

How do hearies view the deafies?....:hmm:...they feel that they need to "help" the deafie..no matter what it is....as in their opinion, deafies can't help themselves...They'll pat you on the back...take your hand or arm....and lead you around like a Dog....:giggle:

As somebody who's spent half of his life in a wheelchair, I can definitely sympathize with this entire thing.

Not brave. Not heroic. Just another human being tryin' to do his thing. Leave me alone and let me go on my merry way.

I'd say I hope nobody treats me like that when I go deaf, but they already do, so... Guess it just means I won't have to listen to any of it. :D

i know some people feel akward if deaf person voice and accent loud.i have to say i been ok once explain not to look away when talking and i not great lip reader so talk slow few other odds and ends..some people want be classed as disabled others dont....it no bother me if people say the deaf woman because i am but call me epileptic i not,i lady who has eplepsy as i am someone with dyslexia i not the dyslexic..
i agree with cdod

Not always! :P

We ate at Long John Silver today, and boy was it crowded for Good Friday!

I got a really hard shove from a little old lady! I hope she tried asking me to move before she did that. Even if she didn't realize I am deaf, I would have thought my giant pink support cane would have told her not a good idea to shove me.

thought that was the blind:giggle:

compassion

I dont believe people lead you like a dog. The hearing rarely meet the deaf, when they do, they do not know how to react. They were never taught. They want to help but dont know how. Its still better than "your a loser" look.

I dont believe people lead you like a dog. The hearing rarely meet the deaf, when they do, they do not know how to react. They were never taught. They want to help but dont know how. Its still better than "your a loser" look.

:laugh2:...I have had people take my arm and lead me around....:giggle:..and I'm not blind....and I wasn't drunk....:P...they just felt the need to feel that themselves were doing their good deed for that day...and the need to say...."this is rockin'...and she's D-E-A-F!"...:giggle:...and their breath blew me away.......

You don't? Want to come and shadow me for a day? :lol:

If you truely believe you being led around like a dog, there is I can say to change that. What I would recommend is to learn a subtle movement that deters people from doing it.

The hearing rarely meet the deaf, when they do, they do not know how to react.

If it’s not in the family or schools then they don’t know how to react.

They were never taught.

Or because of ignorance what they were taught was hate. Had my biological parents expressed negative views towards the Deaf/HoH as they did other groups, I know I would have regrets today for things I would have done in the past.

They want to help but dont know how.

Big mistake! Don’t help unless asked! Deaf, blind or physically challenged, it’s an insult to help unless you are asked to do so. The only time I’ll step in for anyone (including the hearing) without asking, is when I know they or someone nearby, is going to get hurt or killed. It would be irresponsible of me not to.

hearies thinks deaf community is the same as the paras's wheelchair rugby team, obsessed subculture in the disability world...
well thats true...but its not quite what is SEEMS to them hearies they have all sorts of mis conceptions, on every aspects of Deaf lives....

Had sort of an itty-bitty problem today...tried to call my son on his job around 5 to make sure he had a ride home (it was raining)...Someone answered the phone...and rudely replied...."I'm not interested in whatever you are selling!...and this is a business phone...then..No, I'm not buying any hearing aids!...and hung up....So...I drove on down there...found out "who" took the phone call...and spoke to him "in private" for about 10 minutes....gave him a little "education"...I would say! :laugh2:

Back