How do you think Hearing society views Deaf community

Had sort of an itty-bitty problem today...tried to call my son on his job around 5 to make sure he had a ride home (it was raining)...Someone answered the phone...and rudely replied...."I'm not interested in whatever you are selling!...and this is a business phone...then..No, I'm not buying any hearing aids!...and hung up....So...I drove on down there...found out "who" took the phone call...and spoke to him "in private" for about 10 minutes....gave him a little "education"...I would say! :laugh2:

what did he say?:lol:

oK Kelsey, seek shall receive (just this once) id be generous here

Hearing people dont see Deaf people as a cultural group, they tend to see deaf people as a disabled group, with a bit of a problem (with language, attitudes, and behaviours).

More so-called "educated" professionals still hold what most hearing people believe, but they are trained to lie about their 'faith' in Deaf culture, just to keep their jobs and to pacify d/Deaf people, AND still continue to do oralism because cochlear implants is "replacing" sign language.
Sign Language is generally seen as a language of the disabled, not as a cultural language.
Sad and sick but true.

Very well said sir ... never thought of it like that but I agree 110%.

I find this very interesting. Because you're not actually asking hearing people how they view the Deaf community what you're getting is what the deaf think hearies think. You're getting someones opinion of someone elses opinion. So what you're getting is really more a reflection of the thoughts and feeling of the deaf, not the hearies. To make this even more interesting, the vast majority of hearies don't really have a developed view of the deaf. We run into hearies often, they are abundant, they run into us seldom, we are few. They don't think about us. Why would they? In fact it would be extremely odd for to think about us. Like vacationguy said, they're not going to sit around and talk about the deaf, what they think about it etc etc.

If you were to stand on the street and ask random hearies walking by "what is your view of the deaf community?" you would likely get a blank look, while they were thinking in their head "dafaq??" then they would say uhhhhhhh....what?

So really what you're asking is a bit of a reverse psychology question....how do you think you are perceived. Interesting stuff really.

I find this very interesting. Because you're not actually asking hearing people how they view the Deaf community what you're getting is what the deaf think hearies think. You're getting someones opinion of someone elses opinion. So what you're getting is really more a reflection of the thoughts and feeling of the deaf, not the hearies. To make this even more interesting, the vast majority of hearies don't really have a developed view of the deaf. We run into hearies often, they are abundant, they run into us seldom, we are few. They don't think about us. Why would they? In fact it would be extremely odd for to think about us. Like vacationguy said, they're not going to sit around and talk about the deaf, what they think about it etc etc.

If you were to stand on the street and ask random hearies walking by "what is your view of the deaf community?" you would likely get a blank look, while they were thinking in their head "dafaq??" then they would say uhhhhhhh....what?

So really what you're asking is a bit of a reverse psychology question....how do you think you are perceived. Interesting stuff really.

Is that for OP or every posters? :giggle:

it needs more research, that is NOT from the teachers, or parents or psychologists view...but from the phenomenological perspective.

Not always! :P

We ate at Long John Silver today, and boy was it crowded for Good Friday!

I got a really hard shove from a little old lady! I hope she tried asking me to move before she did that. Even if she didn't realize I am deaf, I would have thought my giant pink support cane would have told her not a good idea to shove me.

Did you see on the news that Long John Silver $4.95 meal is the worst meal in America as is so unhealthy for you?

How do hearies view the deafies?....:hmm:...they feel that they need to "help" the deafie..no matter what it is....as in their opinion, deafies can't help themselves...They'll pat you on the back...take your hand or arm....and lead you around like a Dog....:giggle:

I never lead around like a dog as an adult . There was an accident once and I was the only person that that got out their car to stop the traffic as a live wire was in hanging in the road. I was telling people want to do.

i doubt hearing people have given much thought, which shouldnt be surprising, i mean like why are we oppressed? its more like reverse oppression by sheer ignorance, ha on to something now just where do i start to write this bit down

i mean, that partially explains why 'they thinks we need fixing. some of it is true and other cases, such as prelingual deafness does not...
guess im talking about 'nothing' because its not new
thing i noticed research is about 'new' and discourse is never new...and hearing people try be clever to write new ways of saying the same thing over and over and over again...

Last edited:
which is probably uncharacteristic of a social scientists....so anyway...

Last edited:
Did you see on the news that Long John Silver $4.95 meal is the worst meal in America as is so unhealthy for you?

Yes, that was on my husband's Zite and he showed me, as we had just eaten there!

I immediately thought how badly I need to develop more healthy eating patterns...

Hi, I'm new to this blog and I find it very interesting. First of all I am hearing and I am writing a paper on Deaf culture and Deaf Education. I want to know how you think hearing society view deafness/your culture and if hearing society understand deafness. I'm going to keep your names anonymous and I want to work with deaf children at deaf schools. Please feel free to express what on your mind, I wont judge any of you. Thank you

I am going to be honest and state that the perceptions found in the hearing community may be a bit biased and founded on stereotypes. I am essentially a Deaf person that exists in the hearing community with the aid of cochlear implants.

Hearing people sometimes view deafness as a debilitating and socially damaging disability (which is not the case at all!) and further extrapolate the idea that all Deaf people must rely on ASL.

Also hearing people may perceive the Deaf community to be a bit extreme in some respects. This may stem from the fact the some Deaf people in comment sections (pertaining to CI's and other technologies) do sometimes express extreme views such as that all Deaf children should be adopted by Deaf parents and so forth.

Also it is interesting to note that hearing people do not understand Deafness. Sometimes they believe that it can be corrected with hearing aids (regardless of the case), or that they will never be able to communicate orally correctly. (I had my fair share of comments when I was younger about how it will be a miracle if I could order at McDonalds. I gone on to do public speaking, etc.)

I could go on.

Last edited:
my take

I agree with Ambrosia. I imagine most hearies wouldn't have a very informed idea of what it's like to be deaf or the Deaf culture. But that is due to the scant exposure to it. I realize I may be the exception, but it fascinates me-- because all languages fascinate me as a way of communicating with a group with a different culture. I am trilingual and now hope to learn enough about the Deaf culture and ASL to be able to have conversations-- in person, not just online. But most people just don't know what they don't know-- if they've never been exposed to something, then they are, by definition, ignorant of it. They cannot be blamed too much; they don't know any better. It's sad, but true. Deafies know about hearing culture because that's the norm. They've been forced to function in a hearing world. Hearies haven't had that experience. Wanting to help might feel insulting, but maybe that's better than ignoring the person. At least I would think so.

As a hearing person, I can't remember a time when I was not interested in Deaf people, culture and ASL, but I also don't remember a time when I was not the odd one out and thought differently than everyone else around me. :) I still don't know much, but I've grown up at least being somewhat aware of deaf people even if I had no clue how to react if I met someone.

I think most hearing people just haven't thought about it. I asked my Mom the other day, "What would you think if I married a deaf guy?" She kinda paused and said, "It would be hard..." but I could tell she really didn't have a problem with that, just the thought had never occurred to her in the almost 23 years that I have been alive. I think a lot of hearing people are like that...just haven't thought of it so when they meet a deaf person or their daughter says, "What if I married a deaf guy?" they are scrambling to figure out what to do/say.

Not helping unless asked is a good rule to know. I help everyone, in any way I can but I would hate for a deaf person to be offended because I love to help people so much...at the same time, helping is part of who I am so it's nice to know exactly where to draw the line. Do not help unless asked. Will keep that in mind no matter how rude and mean I feel if I meet a deaf person and have to remind myself. :)

Back