How do you handle those "deaf" ppl who try to sell those ASL cards?

Yes. I have quite a little collection of those old cards deaf people used to sell.

really I am surprised I learn it, I notice it :D great I learn it images!:P

I dont get it, veteran disabled get $$$ from our government and they act alike they were poor. My disabled nephew collects VA benefits, alot more than what my husband is earning SSDI. Only thing I can think of u help him to stay on drugs or drinking.

yeah true I know some homeless people they tend to make up stories about their past they don't want to people know what happened to them before they became homeless and yeah some still does drugs and they possible lie to ssi that they have a place but no few i believe keep moving around cuz possible ran out of $$ to stay at hotel or whatever but it's sad tho

1z15gtg.jpg

front

zsmk47.jpg

back

33en63a.jpg

inside

This is another example of deaf beggar's wares from long ago. No alphabet, just a sewing kit.

Part of my collection.

When I was in China in 2008, I ran into a beggar on the street who showed me a card like this. I was skeptical of him because:

1. He was actually fairly well-dressed.
2. The card was newly typed and laminated, and
3. Someone else behind him said something and he turned towards them in reaction to the sound!:shock:

When I was in China in 2008, I ran into a beggar on the street who showed me a card like this. I was skeptical of him because:

1. He was actually fairly well-dressed.
2. The card was newly typed and laminated, and
3. Someone else behind him said something and he turned towards them in reaction to the sound!:shock:

Yes , it was like that here too in older times. Some were truly deaf and some were fakers.

Wirelessly posted

I used to think negatively of the ASL peddlers until an AD member shared her story about how she had to sell the ABC cards to survive. I won't mention her name out of respect and I've learned a lot about the ABC cards timeline. In the past it was meant to empower the Deaf community so they could sell things such as pens, rulers etc. Two brothers set up this company and it was successful.

I think these people are talking about people who pretend to be deaf when they are hearing.

I don't know if any these members had a problem with deaf people selling ASL cards.

You are NOT alone. You are what people refer as "Between two worlds" Deaf world and hearing world and you feel you don't fit in either those world.. Not Yet anyway.It is very common. oral-only born deaf, Hard of hearing, late deafened, and even CODAs (hearing children of deaf parents) are stuck between two worlds.

I should mention hearing people too... like the one of AllDeaf member, Berry.

Thank you for mentioning me. And it is true. I am actually between 3 worlds. As a half breed Native American Indian in a time when it was believed a white woman should commit suicide before letting "a filthy savage touch her" and the fact my looks are white did not endear me to anyone.

The main difference I could see between the whites and Indians was the white kids would beat up on any white kid that wanted to be friendly with me and his parents would put him on restriction. The Indians who didn't like my halfbreededness let me know it but they did not harass those Indians who chose to like me.

The Black community treated me better than either the whites or the Indians, but I certainly wasn't black.

I became friends with a CODA and his parents treated me as a second son. In those days the Deaf community was very tight knit. Signing was forbidden on the school grounds, jobs for Deaf people were few and far between, there was no "political correctness" toward anyone, and Deaf people had no rights. I was accepted more fully among the Deaf community than any other, but I was, and still am, hearing.

I think I was about 8 years old at the time. I fell in love with sign language, and the Deaf community. I was never able to think "hearing" after that. That would be 57 years ago.

If I remember correctly his mother worked in a laundry and his father did something that hearing people did not want to do because it was noisy and would make them deaf.

In those days selling "ABC" cards was often the only way a Deaf person could survive. They jammed as many as they could into one house to live, shared expenses, and headed out every morning on their routes.

I think it was easier for me to be "between worlds" because I was born that way and at some point I realized it gave me a unique perspective. I became proud of being a "renegade halfbreed."

My opinion is that going deaf later in life is bad because the non-hearing person suddenly discovers separation anxiety. Consciously or subconsciously the person has accepted the idea they are part of the hearing community... even if they had no clue a Deaf community exists.

So they are rejected by their old community, but not accepted by the other.

It is sad but far more common than most people realize.

The only thing to do is to stop, take stock of yourself, decide who you are, who and what you want to become, and then go for it.

Just saw on news other day, one veteran made 110,000.00 by stand right next to freeway. It showed me how he fooled people be believe he is poor and homeless. I have see same faces all over the city and knew they made good $$$$$$. Get a job.

Disabled veterans earn their disability support thru their service to and sacrifices for their country.

I don't know all the ins and outs of SSDI, so I don't know what recipients have to do in order to earn those payments. So I don't know how they can be compared.
Yes I have no problem with that but I do not like any of them stand on the corner and people feel pity on them because they serivced our country. If they are not able to work, they collects $$ from our government and that should be enough for them to live . My nephew collects VA benefits because of injury he got during Gulf war and I do not see him stand on the corner and beg people to give him money. He is not going to live much longer, maybe few years left unless he gets a new liver transplant.

Here some of ADer members feel sorry for them, why? my dad told me not do give them any one cents cuz he was a veteran also and he spend 4 and half years in war. He was a proud man so was my grandfather. It digusted him.

That statement shows that you agree with me. You saw "enough" but not all.
Do u have any friends who went to Vietnam war? We do and many of them already passed away from war and most of them were alcoholic. Let me tell you something, one time a couple who came to my mom's shop and asked her for money because they collected SSI and not enough so she gave them money. Guess what they went to 7 eleven store and bought some beers with my mom's money. And those beggars fool you and everyone else, they made a lot of money from doing this and they do not pay taxes.

Do u have any friends who went to Vietnam war? We do and many of them already passed away from war and most of them were alcoholic. Let me tell you something, one time a couple who came to my mom's shop and asked her for money because they collected SSI and not enough so she gave them money. Guess what they went to 7 eleven store and bought some beers with my mom's money. And those beggars fool you and everyone else, they made a lot of money from doing this and they do not pay taxes.

Sigh. Let's be clear here. Do you have deaf friends who served in Vietnam? Of course not. Are all people who sell the ABC cards addicts and/or alcoholics? Of course not.

Some veterans have post trauma syndrome that affect their daily life. My dad is personally friends with many VA homeless (there's a VA near us. My dad is a Veteran himself) . Rich or not, they do have a messed up life. Plus many CNAs I worked with told me about their experience working at VA nursing homes (or homes for Veteran with mental illness). It was not an easy experience for them.

Yes, they do have a drinking problem. but I don't know it is because it is their way to escape or not. I don't judge them for drinking.

I came out of Wally World one day; saw a man who was angry and cussing. I thought maybe something wrong with his car and I could help out -- Let him use my cell phone to call a friend or something so I ask "What's wrong?"

He told me his wife had wanted him to buy something but he had told her "No!" They could not afford it and she didn't need it. So he went inside to buy what they needed and could afford.

And while he was inside his wife made, and held up, a sign saying she could not buy the item because her husband said they could not afford it.

He told me, "And she is in there buying it. They gave her the &*^%% money to buy it."

Yes I have no problem with that but I do not like any of them stand on the corner and people feel pity on them because they serivced our country. If they are not able to work, they collects $$ from our government and that should be enough for them to live . My nephew collects VA benefits because of injury he got during Gulf war and I do not see him stand on the corner and beg people to give him money. He is not going to live much longer, maybe few years left unless he gets a new liver transplant.
There is still hope that your nephew gets the liver transplant.

There are various scenarios--not all "veterans" begging on a corner are the same.

1. Just because someone holds up a sign saying that he is a veteran really is a veteran. There are plenty of fake "veterans" out there.

2. A veteran who served his tour but didn't retire from a military career, nor sustained any service connection injuries isn't entitled to a pension. He may be able to get help at a VA hospital on a space available basis.

3. A veteran who has a service-connected disability gets a pension and medical care but the amount varies. It's not always enough to live on by itself.

4. There are some veterans who have no disabilities but they are lazy and scheming, and/or alcohol/drug dependent or mentally ill and have restored to panhandling for an income.

Here some of ADer members feel sorry for them, why? my dad told me not do give them any one cents cuz he was a veteran also and he spend 4 and half years in war. He was a proud man so was my grandfather. It digusted him.
Because of the above scenarios, I agree with your dad; I wouldn't give them any money on the street. You just don't know who they are for real, and what they will do with the money.

If people are concerned, they can donate time and/or money to veterans' organizations, including VA hospitals. They can also help any known veterans get in touch with their local VA reps, and help them take advantage of the services to which they are entitled, including alcohol and drug rehabs, and PTS counseling.

Our local VA hospital seeks out veterans from the homeless they find on the streets. They offer them medical services, food, haircuts, counseling, getting services for them from various agencies, job searches, clothing, etc.

Back