How do you handle those "deaf" ppl who try to sell those ASL cards?

Wirelessly posted

deafgal001 said:
I still don't know what these ASL card look like. driving me crazy that everyone is talking about it, and I don't have a visual image in my head what it look like.

You will know when you see it.

Usually have a few signs or the alphabet chart on one side, then on the other side it says "I'm deaf" or something along that line.

Technically they're "selling the card," but comon... you can get that from a library book. There's nothing special about printing off cards. If you're Deaf and is harassing people for money in exchange for your cards, take up drumming! Geez, I would rather exchange money for a few minutes of entertainment rather than for a piece of paper.

I was wondering how you view them, whether it is positive or negative.

Why I ask, well one thing I know and it does not apply to every hearing person but I have noticed that too many hearing people were ignorant when it comes to Deaf.

Yes I had met a cpl...one guy I only met once and one guy that stayed with us for a few months. I really didn't know the first one but he seemed nice. The second one (Scott) was great, we got along really well, Him being Deaf was a non issue to me, I just tried really hard to remember to look at him when speaking and if I needed his attention I flicked the lights. Why do you ask?

I still don't know what these ASL card look like. driving me crazy that everyone is talking about it, and I don't have a visual image in my head what it look like.

Haha, same here. I've never had such experience of "deaf" people approaching me for ASL cards or whatever for money....but it was actually young men approaching me most of the time to chat with me. :P

Wirelessly posted

Street basking is a bit different from begging though.

I would rather have people entertain for their income than to rely on panhandling.
I'm sorry but I am not familiar with the term "Street Basking" What I know is that many beggers in Chicago use some means of attracting attention to them and banging on pots or cups does it. The woman I was talking about used the percussion instruments to get people's attention. Just another sign that she really didn't need the money. She can afford to purchase tamborine or cowbell to bang on while others use tin cans or whatever they can find.

That said, I have seen what I would call street musicians that actually play songs and people give them money. I would not consider that begging though.

just an example -

card.jpg

it's a simple card (business card size) saying "I am deaf :ily: " and it'll have some object attached to it like a pin button or ribbon or whatever and also it'll state $1 or so.

These folk need licenses for their activity, but most don't have them. One person complained about it, saying that fire departments can collect money without a license (you know, at intersections), so why should they be required to have one? Interesting.

just an example -

card.jpg

it's a simple card (business card size) saying "I am deaf :ily: " and it'll have some object attached to it like a pin button or ribbon or whatever and also it'll state $1 or so.

Thanks! There were so many images on ASL cards on Google so that didn't make it easy to find. I was wondering how they typically design their cards.

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with the term "Street Basking" What I know is that many beggers in Chicago use some means of attracting attention to them and banging on pots or cups does it. The woman I was talking about used the percussion instruments to get people's attention.

That said, I have seen what I would call street musicians that actually play songs and people give them money. I would not consider that begging though.

Busking. My apologies.

They usually take form of playing in a band, being a mime, caricatures, telling jokes, living statues, selling trinklets.

Sorry, just I knew someone who thought all form of street performance was a way of begging.

What about the hearing world?

what about it? I grew up in it. I can cross the bridge between those 2 worlds whenever I want. at least I'm no longer stuck in between.

isn't this rather oxymoronic? a deaf person who can speak but can't use ASL and yet can't keep up with spoken conversation with more than 1 person. huh....

so ronery.....
de6ebf6c847d15a039621685fc672927_pyzamronery.jpg

yike! I need to take Sensitivity Training. I was just yanking your chain back there.

start over - welcome to AD and to answer your question in OP regarding deafie (fake) passing around ASL cards.... "go away" :)

:hug: Ok thank you:ty:, mulligan happily granted.

They have made us looked bad in public.

At one time, one of them stopped by at my apartment and tried to sell me ABC card. Since the Deaf community was real small in the city where I lived at that time, I did not recognize who he was. I signed, "Hello, who are you? I never saw you around here before." He dropped dead and ran away.

what about it? I grew up in it. I can cross the bridge between those 2 worlds whenever I want. at least I'm no longer stuck in between.

isn't this rather oxymoronic? a deaf person who can speak but can't use ASL and yet can't keep up with spoken conversation with more than 1 person. huh....

so ronery.....
I get what you are saying I just didn't understand the being stuck part.

I was wondering how you view them, whether it is positive or negative.

Why I ask, well one thing I know and it does not apply to every hearing person but I have noticed that too many hearing people were ignorant when it comes to Deaf.

That does make sense and God knows I have met my share since I became Deaf. I'm an equal opportunity hate kinda gal...I don't hate or dislike ppl based on race, religion,deafness, disability etc...If I don't like someone it's because they're an idiot or mean or something like that not because they are different from me. But it would make for great Karma wouldn't it? As a hearie I don't like deafies and *poof* now I am one...:hmm:

They have made us looked bad in public.

At one time, one of them stopped by at my apartment and tried to sell me ABC card. Since the Deaf community was real small in the city where I lived at that time, I did not recognize who he was. I signed, "Hello, who are you? I never saw you around here before." He dropped dead and ran away.

There was one guy at the UofA campus in the SUB (Student Union Building), and he was passing out the ASL cards in the food court. They didn't have the ABC chart printed on them, but did have four or five signs printed on the back.

I signed, he gestured, so I asked him further... if he was poor and such. He ended up giving me all his money and ran for it. :eek3::roll:

I didn't know what to do with the money! I ended up donating it to the CNIB though.

Back