How do you handle those "deaf" ppl who try to sell those ASL cards?

Am I a WHAT!? :slap: Hearie?!....nope sorry I bat for your team now! Just new to the board and don't get the PFH thing...*mumbling bad words under her breath* *signing same words at screen*

You shouldn't get mad when someone can pick you out as a hearie a mile away.

Just means you aren't quite where you hope to be yet.

Just keep practicing. ;)

No need to shoot Jiro. He is our AD ambassador and will personally visit you within the year.

oh no! I'm about to get assassinated! :Ohno:

You shouldn't get mad when someone can pick you out as a hearie a mile away.

Just means you aren't quite where you hope to be yet.

Just keep practicing. ;)

No need to shoot Jiro. He is our AD ambassador and will personally visit you within the year.

I'm not mad as much as I am hurt. Yes, I used to hear and now I don't..It is hard enough to feel accepted in any world. Comments like those make me feel that I am alone..no longer hearie but I guess not a good enough deafie. I don't need to practice being deaf...got that one down. I am sorry about the shotgun joke...didn't mean to offend anyone. My feelings are really hurt right now and I just want to cry.:tears:

I've had a few come up to me. Two of them backed off and disappeared after I signed "I am deaf too".

What really pisses me off the most is that there is one guy in town that holds up a sign that says "Deaf, need job or money". He approached me, acting like he is deaf and pointed to the sign.

I signed to him "Oh, you are deaf, huh?"

His eyes widened, he froze, and then started talking "My daughter over there is deaf, we need money".

I signed "What do you need money for?" He had no idea what I was saying and walked away.

Just out of curiosity, before you discovered of your hearing loss. have you ever met a Deaf person? If so, what were your reaction to this Deaf person?

I'm not mad as much as I am hurt. Yes, I used to hear and now I don't..It is hard enough to feel accepted in any world. Comments like those make me feel that I am alone..no longer hearie but I guess not a good enough deafie. I don't need to practice being deaf...got that one down. I am sorry about the shotgun joke...didn't mean to offend anyone. My feelings are really hurt right now and I just want to cry.:tears:

Yup, happened to me once when I was residing in North Carolina while on lunch break. I told this Deaf girl to get a job. She got embarrassed and left.

Sorry about that, I am pretty sure Botts was joking in a sarcastic way.

You are not alone.

PM me if you want to talk.

Just out of curiosity, before you discovered of your hearing loss. have you ever met a Deaf person? If so, what were your reaction to this Deaf person?

Yes I had met a cpl...one guy I only met once and one guy that stayed with us for a few months. I really didn't know the first one but he seemed nice. The second one (Scott) was great, we got along really well, Him being Deaf was a non issue to me, I just tried really hard to remember to look at him when speaking and if I needed his attention I flicked the lights. Why do you ask?

yike! I need to take Sensitivity Training. I was just yanking your chain back there.

start over - welcome to AD and to answer your question in OP regarding deafie (fake) passing around ASL cards.... "go away" :)

Wirelessly posted

WildHunt said:
I just sign back to them, "Stop selling ASL cards, apply for ssi or get a job." 90% of the time they just O.O at me and left.... 10% of the time, theyre actually deaf. Go figure.

There's a reason for that.

I talked to a few beggers before, even hearing ones. They make more money begging from strangers than they would with a $20 or $30 an hour job. Some of them are not even homeless, or ragged during their off-time.

Remember, street begging is different from being homeless.

You are NOT alone. You are what people refer as "Between two worlds" Deaf world and hearing world and you feel you don't fit in either those world.. Not Yet anyway.It is very common. oral-only born deaf, Hard of hearing, late deafened, and even CODAs (hearing children of deaf parents) are stuck between two worlds.

I should mention hearing people too... like the one of AllDeaf member, Berry.

Wirelessly posted

I talked to a few beggers before, even hearing ones. They make more money begging from strangers than they would with a $20 or $30 an hour job. Some of them are not even homeless, or ragged during their off-time.

I have heard about the same thing. Some of those people make a good living at begging. This one woman always has a nice winter jacket on and a nice folding chair to sit in and she also plays various percussion instruments which are nice and new while she sits there eating her McDonalds breakfast and drinking coffee. I never gave her money because I didn't think she really needed it. On the next block there is a guy in a wheelchair without any legs dressed kind of ratty who looks like he is really down on his luck. I have talked to him and he is a veteran. I gave him money when I could.

I know a few who do the rounds with the ABC cards, and yup, I give money to a couple. *shrugs*

You are alone. You are what people refer as "Between two worlds" Deaf world and hearing world and you feel you don't fit in either those world.. Not Yet anyway.It is very common. oral-only born deaf, Hard of hearing, late deafened, and even CODAs (hearing children of deaf parents) are stuck between two worlds.

I should mention hearing people too... like the one of AllDeaf member, Berry.

stuck between 2 worlds.... that would be me until 2 years ago. oral deaf here. :wave:

I think it is ok to help someone that is truly in need. Problem these days is like Souggy mentioned, the people that are beggers by choice. Those are the people that I would not want to help.

yup. I've told a story here long while back. There was a bum in NYC subway telling my friend. He makes a living in subway by making people laugh. I think my friend said he rakes in about $200 per day.

Wirelessly posted

rockdrummer said:
souggy said:

I have heard about the same thing. Some of those people make a good living at begging. This one woman always has a nice winter jacket on and a nice folding chair to sit in and she also plays various percussion instruments which are nice and new while she sits there eating her McDonalds breakfast and drinking coffee. I never gave her money because I didn't think she really needed it. On the next block there is a guy in a wheelchair without any legs dressed kind of ratty who looks like he is really down on his luck. I have talked to him and he is a veteran. I gave him money when I could.

Street basking is a bit different from begging though.

I would rather have people entertain for their income than to rely on panhandling.

Last edited:
I still don't know what these ASL card look like. driving me crazy that everyone is talking about it, and I don't have a visual image in my head what it look like.

Back