How do you get politicians to pay attention to your issues?

wow damn you're the right man as spokesperson for deaf/HOH community!!!! I'm sick of hearing Al Sharpton hogging some headlines! Time for Dreamchaser [insert your name] to hog some headlines this time!

we better post some list of what we demand - CC all online videos, CC for pilots, what else!

The first thing to do is to get the numbers for Clinton's, Obama's and Mccain's office on line,,, and have every Deaf person email and call,, not demanding anything in particular, except to have a meeting with one of their reps. His them with a few thousand emails, and they will pay attention,,, tell them you are of voting age and you want to know if they are going to pay attention to Deaf issues.

Uhh.....the state north of Oregon has the highest minimum wage in the nation followed by California, Massachusetts and then Oregon.

Minimum Wage

But it is good to see that Oregon is in the top 5 states in the nation with a high minimum wage. :)

Sorry, correction,,, we started the minimum wage raise, and then they followed... sorry...

What's the address to send it to?

I will look them up and post them tomorrow... Emails are really good because they keep a record. Then follow up with phone calls..

IF I can do it,,, that is if Obama and CLinton still have their debates, I will see if I can find out how to have the question asked at the debate. :)

I will look them up and post them tomorrow... Emails are really good because they keep a record. Then follow up with phone calls..

IF I can do it,,, that is if Obama and CLinton still have their debates, I will see if I can find out how to have the question asked at the debate. :)

I'll send an email/letter/phone call if you do post that info! :D

First we need to compile "List to Discuss" or "List of Concerns" before we contact them. They will listen and perhaps bring it up if our concerns are with very valid arguments and information (stats, polls, etc.) so that they can discuss about it in on LIVE TV.

and risk getting shot 100x by police officers.....

that's a risk some may be willing to take.

It would certainly get their attention, LOL!

If you guys are serious about making your opinion heard, try visiting the NAD website. They have a link that will allow you to email politicians regarding the issues that affect the deaf cummunity. You can voice your support for or disagreement with many legislations that are being inacted that directly affect the deaf as a community group. All it takes is a couple of clicks of the mouse, and the emails are automatically sent. The NAD is there to serve the deaf community, and it is an organization that has the power to influence. Use it to your advantage.

About No Child Left Behind - the principle itself is noble but the methods to do it is gravely flawed.
I have to agree with this statement. While President Bush's effort was a noble one, by the time all the other bureaucrats with their own agendas put their fingers in the mix, but has turned out to be a disappointment.

I think another important issue should be about raising minimum wage. Our prisons are already overcrowded.
I don't see the relationship between the two - minimum wage and prison overcrowding.

The best results I have had have been starting with my district Representatives and Senators. They are all about listening to their districts and can give advice on how to and where to and what to proceed with...petitions, letters, going with them to the floor, and so on. Many times they will lend you one of their legal people so you word it just so.

I don't see the relationship between the two - minimum wage and prison overcrowding.

It is generally agreed that poverty leads to crimes - to steal money. Higher minimum wage gives a more economical room for lower class family - a small incentive not to commit crimes, less economical pressure to feed/support their family. We all know that money is #1 issue in family. With increased minimum wage, parents will be able to spend a little more time with their children thus decreasing a likelihood of their children becoming criminals or gang member. Think about children whose parents are almost never home due to working two jobs. They usually join gangs, do drugs, or whatever - unsupervised childhood life.

Prison Overcrowding are contributed by several things - low minimum wage, bullshit laws, etc. For example - you will receive a harsh sentence for having a small bag of marijuana while you will receive lesser sentence for a huge bag of cocaine. Or because a criminal was molested/abused as a child, he's more likely to commit crimes repeatedly. etc. etc. People rob places because they're broke and minimum wages are not doing much when living costs are soaring.

In my opinion, increasing minimum wage is a good start to lessen prison overcrowding and the crime rates. Next priority should be revamping drug laws regarding marijuana. Europe, especially England (I think), recently classified weed as misdemeanor instead of felony because the drug war is as useless as the Prohibition and it's costly... unnecessary risky. They said - just don't smoke weed in public. If you do - they'll just squash your blunt and fines you. No arrest needed.

It's time we recognize marijuana as beneficial medicinal drugs. (btw - I don't drink nor do drug nor smoke weed :giggle:)

In order to get their attention is to have a very good writing skills (and sometimes speaking skills)

It is generally agreed that poverty leads to crimes - to steal money. Higher minimum wage gives a more economical room for lower class family - a small incentive not to commit crimes, less economical pressure to feed/support their family. We all know that money is #1 issue in family. With increased minimum wage, parents will be able to spend a little more time with their children thus decreasing a likelihood of their children becoming criminals or gang member. Think about children whose parents are almost never home due to working two jobs. They usually join gangs, do drugs, or whatever - unsupervised childhood life.

Prison Overcrowding are contributed by several things - low minimum wage, bullshit laws, etc. For example - you will receive a harsh sentence for having a small bag of marijuana while you will receive lesser sentence for a huge bag of cocaine. Or because a criminal was molested/abused as a child, he's more likely to commit crimes repeatedly. etc. etc. People rob places because they're broke and minimum wages are not doing much when living costs are soaring.

In my opinion, increasing minimum wage is a good start to lessen prison overcrowding and the crime rates. Next priority should be revamping drug laws regarding marijuana. Europe, especially England (I think), recently classified weed as misdemeanor instead of felony because the drug war is as useless as the Prohibition and it's costly... unnecessary risky. They said - just don't smoke weed in public. If you do - they'll just squash your blunt and fines you. No arrest needed.

It's time we recognize marijuana as beneficial medicinal drugs. (btw - I don't drink nor do drug nor smoke weed :giggle:)

most criminal come from broken homes...

Like a drunk father, or a drug addict mother, etc.

I agree with u. The gangster life is run by greed...easy money. Most crimes are committed because of money..robbing banks, breaking into houses, stealing cars, murder over drug deals, and so forth.

However, the real question is...even if raising the minimum wage, will that really prevent kids from being tempted to join the gang lifestyle due to the concept of easy cash? Many of these kids do not want to work at crappy jobs and have the patience while they work their way up. They want the moola and all the fancy materialistic things immediately. Instant gratification is what Americans seems to look for these days.

I found a quote that is appropriate for this thread. It is from Anne Frank.
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."

I agree with u. The gangster life is run by greed...easy money. Most crimes are committed because of money..robbing banks, breaking into houses, stealing cars, murder over drug deals, and so forth.

However, the real question is...even if raising the minimum wage, will that really prevent kids from being tempted to join the gang lifestyle due to the concept of easy cash? Many of these kids do not want to work at crappy jobs and have the patience while they work their way up. They want the moola and all the fancy materialistic things immediately. Instant gratification is what Americans seems to look for these days.

yea we never know but I think it's safe to say it will reduce (but not drastically) crime rates. Think about it - federal minimum wage is $5.85 per hour. What the heck can you do with it????? You can't even pay for apartment rent, basic amenities, and food sufficiently! Boosting it up to, let's say, $7-8/hr will take a handful of load off from working parents by working less hours and more hours on children. Maybe they can even afford some stuff for kids like books and clothes for schools. Increased parental involvement in child's life is a great deterrent to becoming a criminal.

Poverty life means you live in broken homes infected with drug addicts and rats - an embarrassment to themselves. They want to feel like they contribute to something. Working at McDonald as grill guy for $5.85/hr for 8+ hours is not exactly cool. You're a nobody.

Kids join gangs because they want to be "somebody" - an identity. Yes being in gang or being a thief means you can make quick bucks in short time. But more importantly - "gang" is such a complicated social issue. I suppose I can say it's like joining military to explore the world and see some actions - joining gangs - you get to get laid, have access to drugs and guns, and see some actions (killing).

We all want stuff - flat-screen tv, cables, cars, clothes, toys for kids, etc. Working $5.85/hr full-time is not really get you any one of those. You can't really afford to pay for one gas refill either. Increasing minimum wage will help some even if it means preventing 2 kids out of 200 from joining gangs today. Every bit counts!

No it won"t. What Jiro is referring to is the social conflict theory of crime and it hinges on much more than minimum wage being increased. It involves the correction of the stratification in our society based on ethnicity and SES, and also the correction of inequities based on gender.

The reason that kids are tempted to join gangs is not to get laid, have access to drugs and guns, or to see some action. The reason is much more complex than that. While these other things are a part of gang related activity, it is not the primary reason that kids join.

Kids join gangs because they want to be "somebody" - an identity. Yes being in gang or being a thief means you can make quick bucks in short time. But more importantly - "gang" is such a complicated social issue. I suppose I can say it's like joining military to explore the world and see some actions - joining gangs - you get to get laid, have access to drugs and guns, and see some actions (killing).

Reminds me of why people join "MySpace"

Back