How different ASL/CSL??

How does MSL differ ASL?
As for ISL considering the small population-hard to believe that there is enough "Deaf/deaf/DEAF" persons living "up there" to generate a "separate" sign communication language.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

what is "up there" supposed to mean your really rude sometimes you know that...

Inuit Sign Language

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Inuit Sign Language Signed in Canada Region Arctic Language family Language codes ISO 639-3 None v · d · e Inuit Sign Language (ISL), or Eskimo Sign Language, is an indigenous sign language used by both the deaf and the hearing in Inuit communities in the Canadian Arctic, including Nunavut and perhaps northern Quebec and Nova Scotia. It appears to be a fully developed language, in that it can be used to discussed various topics and convey emotion.
Several of these communities have large deaf populations, and both the hearing and deaf are proficient in it, as in other communities with high rates of congenital deafness such as Martha's Vineyard. In addition, hearing people have been observed to use it for inter-dialectical communication with Inuit from other communities. MacDougall (2000) notes that "this is not unusual for nomadic hunters and others living in isolated places", suggesting that it may not have originated as a sign language for the deaf.
[edit] References

• MacDougall, JC (2000) 'Access to justice for deaf Inuit in Nunavut: The role of "Inuit sign language".' Canadian Psychology, 2001(Feb) 42(1):61–73
(a summary may be more readily available in Coon (2009) Psychology: A Journey)"

:hmm: That's of interest.

"Up there" refers to the northern portion of Canada in contradistinction to the southern portion. Geographical term.

The exact number of people living "there" unknown with the subset of those using ISL also unknown.

How does MSL differ ASL?
As for ISL considering the small population-hard to believe that there is enough "Deaf/deaf/DEAF" persons living "up there" to generate a "separate" sign communication language.

MSL (Maritime Sign Language) is a mixture of ASL and BSL which is often used by older Deaf people in Eastern Canada (Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island). Now it is dying because more and more Deaf people are using ASL there.

ASL/CSL are very similar. Only the difference is regional signs.

Langue des Signes Quebecois consists of 60 percent ASL and 40 percent LSF.

How does MSL differ ASL?

Well, Inuits have their own spoken language as well. In fact, there are several dialects of the language itself.

True. Having "their sign communication system-ISL" would suggest anyone not knowing their system MIGHT have trouble following-correct?

Does having a realty check suggests-how many ACTUAL PERSONS utilize ISL and do they live in areas where ASL is "widely used"?

How persons actually use all of the various systems-ASL vs BSL vs Auslan VS ISL vs MSL including the latest discovery-Wikipedia?

What is the impact on anyone life in their real world?

Ok, so there's MSL and ISL, which I didn't know. Very interesting indeed! I knew about ASL and LSQ, but not of any other SL within Canada.

About the CSL sunny_signs refered to, I'm guessing it's like ASL but you add more "U"s when you spell the words XD

Is "regional variation" equivalent to "complete" sign communications systems?

Considering LSQ exists now-how many others outside of Quebec-"know/use" it?

Interesting to get real numbers of users of various "sign communication".

Is "regional variation" equivalent to "complete" sign communications systems?

Considering LSQ exists now-how many others outside of Quebec-"know/use" it?

Interesting to get real numbers of users of various "sign communication"

Yes, they are according to several studies. For instance, the study conducted by Dr. T.H. Whodunit at the University of W.H.O. in Ontario. According to a national census, there are approximately 650,000 LSQ signers living in Canada. Although only 1/3 of the 650,000 signers actually sign in LSQ on a daily or frequent basis due to the strong presence of ASL.

Sources: http://www.universitywho.edu/drthwhodunit_study102B.htm and http://www.canada.gc.ca/census2001/statistics/signedlanguages/lsq.htm

Disclaimer: These statistics are completely made up. So please don't get angry with me just because you swallowed that big fish.

The only explanation I can think of for a huge Canadian sign language dictionary would be an all inclusive one that combined sections on ASL, LSQ, Maritime, Inuit, and any other regional information. It wouldn't actually be a language unto itself but cover all the sign languages that are used in Canada. That would be a Canadian sign languages book, not Canadian sign language book.

:dunno:

Yes, they are according to several studies. For instance, the study conducted by Dr. T.H. Whodunit at the University of W.H.O. in Ontario. According to a national census, there are approximately 650,000 LSQ signers living in Canada. Although only 1/3 of the 650,000 signers actually sign in LSQ on a daily or frequent basis due to the strong presence of ASL.

Sources: http://www.universitywho.edu/drthwhodunit_study102B.htm and http://www.canada.gc.ca/census2001/statistics/signedlanguages/lsq.htm

Disclaimer: These statistics are completely made up. So please don't get angry with me just because you swallowed that big fish.

Imma refer to this very post every time a research question comes up about LSQ

The only explanation I can think of for a huge Canadian sign language dictionary would be an all inclusive one that combined sections on ASL, LSQ, Maritime, Inuit, and any other regional information. It wouldn't actually be a language unto itself but cover all the sign languages that are used in Canada. That would be a Canadian sign languages book, not Canadian sign language book.

:dunno:

I'm going to the deaf org tomorrow - they have a copy of the Canadian dictionary of ASL so I will have a look at it then report back here.

I have the CSL dictionary as well as an ASL dictionary. While many of the signs are similar, there are also many differences - one I can think of off the top of my head is the sign for "rude". When interacting with people in the deaf community, some use strictly ASL, some use CSL, some use a combination of both and some use signs that are evident in neither (these signs are more 'regional slang'). It stands to reason that CSL and ASL have variations because spoken english in the US and spoken english in Canada also have variations. For example, in some areas of the US it is common to say, "sofa" and "soda" and "bubbler" whereas in areas of Canada it is more common to say "couch", "pop" and "water fountain". In my ongoing quest to gain fluency in sign, I am often asking deafies, "Again? That sign don't know, fingerspell please?" and sometimes they are asking me the same thing haha.

Back