How did you learn ASL?

michelle445

Reaction score
There are so many different ways to learn ASL--from Deaf people, classes, books, videos, software, websites, online classes, etc.

How did you learn? What do you think is the best way to learn ASL?

Did you ever experience any difficulty with any of these methods? Was it hard to find a good place/way to learn?

I'm not deaf, but I'm learning it at school. We use a book, it's pretty easy, I just need someone to help me practice so I can remember more of them.

I took a class which I thought at the time was ASL. In retrospect it seems like it was more SEE, since so many of the signs I learned then are not what my ASL teacher now is teaching. I was only 15 at the time, and my boyfriend was deaf, so I took the class to learn how to communicate with him. Of course, we broke up(being kids), and I used sign language sporadically throughout the years. I ended up doing a lot of home care aide work, and they would send me to the deaf clients, so I picked up a LOT more there. 5 years ago, that old boyfriend and I ran into each other, and have been together ever since :D Now I am taking an ASL class in college, since I am required to have language credits, and I thought learning more about deaf culture would help me in my relationship with him. Probably a little long winded for my reply LOL but I tend to get chatty sometimes! :giggle:

Despite having been born with a bilateral severe-profound deafness, I finally started learning ASL at the age of 25 (in 1995) by opting to take ASL I to meet my foreign language requirement at Arizona State. From then on, I learned about Deaf culture and the more I learned ASL, the easier my life became. Now, I use ASL 99% of time in my daily life even at my job. At first, all of my learning was thru my ASL classes and then as I became more proficient with it, I started going to deaf socials but I wasnt fully accepted as I wasnt deaf enough. Then, in 1999, I moved to MD to go to Gallaudet University and that when when my ASL skills just exploded. Classes can help some but immersing yourself in the environment is the best way to become fluent in ASL.

Deaf grandparents and their friends. Some from kids from my first 6 years in school.

I learned ASL when I was a toddler from Deaf school, a teacher came to our home and taught me and my mom. Then I went to Deaf school when I was 3 yrs old.

Last edited:
Tried to learn online, it was ok, then found a class. I took the class for two sessions then no higher levels were offered. I then learned from a terp. Then from another terp/friend. I now keep up talking to friends online using mvp, im or other such video usage. I also still study books, and online. Class is the best. Period. I got to practice both sides that way.
We only have one class, one teacher, and that is if she has time. We are friends now. If I wanted another class I would have to move away from my family. Sigh.

I learned ASL in March 1995 at church :)

Started learning when I worked with Deaf kids and staff in recreational program as instructional aid. Was in college. Program had Deaf kids as well as kids with disabilities. Then took beginning sign course in college and had d/Deaf friends there. Then after some years after I graduated and things happened and lost track of people from college, I forgot a lot - but came across ad from someone locally Deaf who was interested in starting a small group or class to learn ASL, so I started up with that again and in the couple of years I have been doing this with her we've become friends. Then in the last two years or so as I am becoming little less "signing impaired", have become hoh.

I started learning (tactile) ASL at my local deafblind center after I lost my hearing in 1995. It took me awhile to learn, but I kept at and had some wonderful Deaf and deafblind people in my area who helped me with my lessons. I'll never forget them because if it were not for my knowledge of ASL, PSE and SEE, I don't know how I could have managed communication between 1995 and 2004 when I received my first CI.

When I became deaf, (14), and was sent to a deaf school, I had never seen ASL before or anyone else who was deaf. It was shocking to me. And I had to write things on paper. After a couple of weeks, I had to do something! The other deaf students were making so much more effort to communicate with me than I did with them.

It was my "anger" of being thrust into another world that I knew nothing of. Until another girl, who was HOH, became my roommate, we both did not know ASL, but we both learned, and became best friends. I'm still not fluent with ASL, since I'm mainly oral. It was an experience I will never forget! And I'm still in contact with a lot of my old schoolmates. My signing really sucked! And I was always misunderstood so much! A lot of times, hilarious!

I grew up in the Hamptons (Long Island) and I have been deaf since birth. As a child I attended a school for the deaf that focused on oral communication. I attended and graduated from a mainstream (hearing) high school. I learned sign language in college at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
I am looking forward to teaching hearing students some ASL as an ASL instructor at a local community college soon. I am nervous and excited because I haven't done it for a while. I can't wait to return and start teaching!!

I learned it from mingling with the Deaf community when my son was an infant. That is how he learned it, as well. Immersion and social exposure.

I learned ASL during my toddler years by having a great teacher who worked in the infant-3years group (also preschool age group) at the Easter Seals program. The teacher I had also had a deaf brother. My mother also took ASL classes that were taken at the deaf club which was referred by the teacher.

Not only that, during the time of my toddler years, Mom and I also met a deaf family who had 2 girls that were around the same age as me. So, often time, I'd go over there at their place for an overnight stay, or to go with them to any deaf events, etc and the likes of that. By the time I entered ISD (Indiana School for the Deaf); My ASL exploded from there and of course, with immersion as well.

Both my parents are deaf and fluent in ASL so basically growing up I had no choice... my father was "anti-oralism" and refused to talk to me unless I signed to him... even as a toddler wanting some milk, my dad wouldn't acknowledge my "speaking" but he would promptly get me a glass (we didn't have sippy cups back then) when I signed "I milk want", therefore getting positive reinforcement/reward for signing rather than speaking.
Later being CODA and interpreting for my parents (this was back in the late 60's and early 70's where it was common for hearing children to be interpreters for their parents unless it was extremely important, then writing or getting professional interpreter was used).
I also picked up quite a bit from my parent's friends during deaf gatherings, functions, meetings (NFSD, TAD chapters, etc.) and later when I attended Gallaudet (1980-81) I learned much more.

Right now my ASL isn't perfect because I grew up hearing and became late-deafened... so I still use english in my thought pattern. Usually if I concentrate and relax I can go full ASL but it's harder for me to speak and sign at same time since the syntax is radically different and my mind isn't wired that way. :dunno2:

I started teaching myself online with LifePrint.com and moved on to books (ASL dictionaries & ASL grammar books), and I reference ASLpro.com & SigningSavvy.com. But for practice, I most enjoy video chatting with people (as much as my schedule permits) and attending Deaf events, and I am trying to attend more. I am hearing and my family is hearing. I have never attended a class (yet)... my church was supposed to offer one but it didn't pan out (yet). My signing is pretty much PSE, but with signing songs, I am really trying to do more true ASL. Hey, I'm learning! LOL! And now my teenage son is getting into signing with me! How cool is that? :)

Back