How Deaf Do You Need to be for a Dog?

I have a CI and use a guide (Avatar Pic), all you need is to confirm you are legally disabled.

that's silly question, imdeafsowhat.

VamPyrox said:
They do have strobe gas detectors and strobe door bells.
and for the sounds a few houses away across from ours; the sounds dogs can hear we can't, they don't have strobe for that my dear. not for the sounds from a quite distance. I was able to see the fight four houses away across from us; service dog could help you becoming a witness. yes, a regular pet can do that too but they're more inclined to bark and bark at ... whilst service dog heads the nose, points and guide as they were trained for it.

and what liebling listed, isn't what my service dog was trained for.... it shows me how badly biased people are. no offense leibling. I wish animals could do writings for me! :lol:

and for the sounds a few houses away across from ours; the sounds dogs can hear we can't, they don't have strobe for that my dear. not for the sounds from a quite distance. I was able to see the fight four houses away across from us; service dog could help you becoming a witness. yes, a regular pet can do that too but they're more inclined to bark and bark at ... whilst service dog heads the nose, points and guide.

and what liebling listed, isn't what my service dog were trained for.... it shows me how badly biased people are.

Perhaps the owner and the dog has the same personality, if they see something that's fun and crazy, they might run and join in like dogs usually do.

that's correct .. as well as we remained calm. because of hearing dog policies, they understand the difference between work and playtime.

that's correct .. as well as we remained calm. because of hearing dog policies, they understand the difference between work and playtime.
what I meant by 'hearing dog policies", when the program gave me this service dog, they said the guide dogs should not be petted while working. such as no vest on; no rules, vest on, time for work - to behave in public. and because of that, there's no confusion training for my dog. no rules for us at home either, but he really understood when it comes to distracting sounds.

like you said, it really depends on individually, personalities.

what I meant by 'hearing dog policies", when the program gave me this service dog, they said the guide dogs should not be petted while working. such as no vest on; no rules, vest on, time for work - to behave in public. and because of that, there's no confusion training for my dog. no rules for us at home either, but he really understood when it comes to distracting sounds.

like you said, it really depends on individually, personalities.

Ditto.

Yes, using equipment such as leash, vest, and sunglasses, actually puts the dog in control, once you take it all off, they actually think it's playtime NOW! But really it's not. Hahaha.

What you beleive service dog help you everything is your prerogative. I respect you for that but where is your respect on us?

What I beleive in is my prerogative:

I don't need a service dog to help me to hear because I have technology to help me to hear...

I don't need a service dog to boost my self-esteem as well because I have a good self-esteem and can do anything.

I don't need a service dog to interpret for me what the people says because I have an interpreter.

I don't need a service dog to help me to watch the traffic, etc because I have eyes and can deal everything myself.

I don't need a service dog to tell me something because my pets can do.

I don't need a service dog to help me to write or phone for me because I have techologny is email, fax, etc.

That's my prerogative.

I agree! I'm with you.

If he said that, that clearly shows it is a service dog because the dog is serving its master.

Sorry I disagree with you on this one because they are NOT working dogs. Most pets do alert the owners regardless whether they are deaf or hearing. Cats would alert their owners. Birds would alert by screeching, etc.

Sorry I disagree with you on this one because they are NOT working dogs. Most pets do alert the owners regardless whether they are deaf or hearing. Cats would alert their owners. Birds would alert by screeching, etc.

Exactly!!! My 3 cats know my deafness... They use their paw to pat or touch my arm to tell me something what they want... I know their body languages for want to tell me something or ask me to leave them alone...

We know automatic that it's ringing bell before the flashing light comes because their heads turn direct to door. They don't like to be alone and follow everywhere where we go... We are in living-room for relax and watch on TV then they sleep on their favorite one or on our lap until the ringing bell comes... they wake up quickly...

But do they wake you up when you're heavily sleeping after drinking so much or smoking so much?

:eek3: WHAT!!!

Are you assume that it's understandable for you to drink and use drug heavily because you expect your dog would do what you want?

If your answer is yes, then I feel sorry for your poor dog.

I hope your answer to my question will be NO.

:eek3: WHAT!!!

Are you assume that it's understandable for you to drink and use drug heavily because you expect your dog would do what you want?

If your answer is yes, then I feel sorry for your poor dog.

I hope your answer to my question will be NO.

I don't drink.

I umm kinda umm smoke. But the one I have isn't a dog at all. Arrroo.

But do they wake you up when you're heavily sleeping after drinking so much or smoking so much?
Then that's your own fault.

There are hearing people who suffer the same thing... too out-of-it to wake up to the sound of alarms.

They do have vibrating alerts as well.

and for the sounds a few houses away across from ours; the sounds dogs can hear we can't, they don't have strobe for that my dear. not for the sounds from a quite distance. I was able to see the fight four houses away across from us; service dog could help you becoming a witness. yes, a regular pet can do that too but they're more inclined to bark and bark at ... whilst service dog heads the nose, points and guide as they were trained for it.

and what liebling listed, isn't what my service dog was trained for.... it shows me how badly biased people are. no offense leibling. I wish animals could do writings for me! :lol:
Accommodations should be at a point where it allows one to be at the same level as what is "normal"... a hearing person.

So, having a dog that can hear 5 houses away is like having super hearing... which exceeds the real deaf needs of having a hearing dog. That defeats the purpose of being "equal" to hearing people.

We don't need a hearing dog to watch television, to write, to read a newspaper, to do grocery shopping, to pick up boxes, to open a door, etc.

We don't need a hearing dog to watch television, to write, to read a newspaper, to do grocery shopping, to pick up boxes, to open a door, etc.

If that is the case, I'd sign up to get one ASAP! ;) :D :laugh2:

Hell, my late black lab knew how to open the fridge to raid the leftovers and whatnot. :eek3:

My wolf knows how to talk. But it's the people who doesn't know how to understand my wolf. Typical!

Exactly!!! My 3 cats know my deafness... They use their paw to pat or touch my arm to tell me something what they want... I know their body languages for want to tell me something or ask me to leave them alone...

We know automatic that it's ringing bell before the flashing light comes because their heads turn direct to door. They don't like to be alone and follow everywhere where we go... We are in living-room for relax and watch on TV then they sleep on their favorite one or on our lap until the ringing bell comes... they wake up quickly...

Yep, mine does the same like yours do! Cool and helpful

. . . We don't need a hearing dog to watch television, to write, to read a newspaper, to do grocery shopping, to pick up boxes, to open a door, etc.

The power goes out in your house, no smoke alarm, vibrator, strobe . . . nothing. Your house catches fire. You have no hearing dog or any other animal or human to wake you to get you out. Then what? Technology will always fail, but my hearing dog won't.

Back