How can I say this nicely?

SJCSue

Reaction score
As most of you already know, I am a bagger at a local supermarket. Most customers are very nice and understanding when it comes to my hearing loss. However, some customers treat me as if I am stupid (due to my speech issue), and this can get me very angry at the customer. :pissed: How can I tell the customer that I do not appreciate being treated this way, but in a nice way so, I do not get "spoken to" by a manager? :dunno:

I don't know! I always smile at the idiot being rude & just act even nicer to them while I am saying :madfawk: at them in my mind hehe.

Sometimes it would probably feel better to say something like I can't hear you that well but I can understand you just fine! You don't have to talk down to me.

" Deliver Justice by Night & Work by no suspicison in the daytime. " :D Unknown Author Cicra 1970

That is a real life quote but I am just kidding aside... everybody wishes they could do that. Just be cool and patient. There are jobs where you will be hated and jobs where you will be loved, man !!! Take the ones where you will be loved if possible. :)

I dunno how to advise you on what to say, but you can amuse yourself thinking how stupid these same people would look if they tried to sign. I bet they'd look like little babies. ;)

I think the best way to do anything is to do it with humor. I'm not sure how people are exactly in your situation, but I like to think that a good, relevant joke usually fixes things up fast and makes you a new friend.

When people start shouting when I take my implant off (and am thereby blow-up-Hiroshima-next-to-me-and-I-still-won't-hear-it deaf), I just say, "Wow, you've got tough vocal cords, but I bet you haven't told them that it's all in vain. I hear you, really. Can you say it all over again?"

Okay, it's a LOT more funny and people-friendly in person than it sounds online. The nuances of a good joke are always in implicit expression.

Speaking of humor, that "blow up Hiroshima" bit is one of the funniest self-descriptions I've seen in awhile. :giggle:

Rose Immortal said:
I dunno how to advise you on what to say, but you can amuse yourself thinking how stupid these same people would look if they tried to sign. I bet they'd look like little babies. ;)
I like that.. LOL :)

Endymion said:
When people start shouting when I take my implant off (and am thereby blow-up-Hiroshima-next-to-me-and-I-still-won't-hear-it deaf), I just say, "Wow, you've got tough vocal cords, but I bet you haven't told them that it's all in vain. I hear you, really. Can you say it all over again?"

:D Brilliant! :laugh2:

On the subject, I used to work at a supermarket... If I didn't understand what a person said, I asked them to repeat themselves. I actually made myself get rather good at lipreading the words 'paper' and 'plastic', especially when I was a bagger, since at the bagger station I rarely could hear the customer. As a cashier, this was not so much of an issue, but nonetheless it stuck.

If you don't understand what a person says, politely ask them to repeat themselves. If they're rude to you, just smile and take it. They're wrong, you know that, and there's really nothing you can do about it without getting in trouble except give them the finger after they start walking away.

Check to see if your manager is around before flipping the bird. Or any really cranky-looking co-workers or customers who'd like to report you. ;)

Rose Immortal said:
Check to see if your manager is around before flipping the bird. Or any really cranky-looking co-workers or customers who'd like to report you. ;)

LOL. There's that too. ;)

Can you give us a few examples of what they said to you?

I remember working at a local grocery store (Kroger) as a bagger and dealt with customers who treated me that way. One time, an old lady approached me and asked where the cookies were. I asked her to repeat since I didn't understand the first time. After she repeated it, I understood. She then said that it was okay to not understand her since I was foreign. I was like, "Eh?" I then told her that I was deaf and didn't understand her right away. She then gave me a weird look and walked off.

When I worked at Blockbuster Video, I had a customer on the phone who talked really fast and I didn't understand her. I then asked her to talk a bit slower and she immediately replied, "What are you... deaf!?" I politely replied, "Yes, I am." She then said, "Oh, *gulps* sorry." and hung up. ;) Heh!

How about you just sign to them something very offensive, and do it with a smile on your face? When they treat you like you're stupid, just sign something very offensive to them and do it with a big friendly smile. They will be calling back to the supermarket bragging to your manager about the nice deaf bagger. :)

I just tell them out plainly that there is no need to be treating me in a somewhat patronising manner, just because I happen to be deaf. Just treat me normally as they would like me to treat them.

There have been several occasions where I just mirrored their own actions, and sometimes they realised that they were doing these actions. The reaction vary among people; some do get angry and some just get embarassed and apologise.

At my work, everyone knows that it is mandatory for them to write on paper with me, otherwise they will be ignored. I have set my boundaries at work in order to ensure that no misunderstanings would occur. From time to time, some stupid coworker are stubborn and come to me talking. I give her a silly look as if she was speaking Chinese. Everyone thinks she is stupid for not realising that she has to write to me.

I agree with those that basically say ignore such people and move on.

There are too many people who don't have a clue nor the patience to deal with somebody different than them. How sad and it is an indictment against those who think like that!

i woudlnt worry about it bc many normal hearing kids that work at supermarket get treated like that all the time.

No Fear 23 said:
i woudlnt worry about it bc many normal hearing kids that work at supermarket get treated like that all the time.

*Sigh*

So true and very universal...I seen it myself in many circumstances...

Years ago, I wrote to Dear Abby and voiced this very same thing. She told me the same thing I'll tell you. First, say, "I'm sorry, can you repeat what you said again, please?" If that doesn't work, just smile :) and then wink ;) and send them on their way. :bye: Do not flick them 'the bird' :nono: as you don't want to lose your job...they're not worth it, really, they are not. Let them be ignorant and live in their ignorance. However, don't do anything that would embarrass other deaf/hoh people, okay? Treat them with respect as much as you can...remember, they are paying your paycheck and do not take their behavior personally...let them look like the horse's back end, okay?

Another thing, when they and others aren't looking, you can :giggle: :lol: :asshole: all you want. ;)

I don't think it's their fault though. I mean you can't tell someone is deaf by looking at them, and if they aren't aware that you are deaf, what do you expect? just because they are ignorant doesn't make them bad people who should be mistreated for it.

I can understand the frustration though. most people in general are just ignorant dumbasses.

Back