Housewarming party causing a split between friends!

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
My friend is hosting a housewarming party tonight at her new house and invited a bunch of us who have been friends with each other for years. However, about half of us arent going while the other half is going. I am the latter half who is going.

The reason for this is cuz my friend is from an extremely wealthy family and her parents bought her a brand new house after she proved herself by working at a steady job for a year. They told her that if she proved to be responsible by holding down a job for a year, they would buy her a house. Been a year so they bought her this house so this will be my first time seeing it. I am happy for her..however, the half of the group who refuses to go tonight arent. They think since she didnt work hard for the house, she shouldnt be hosting a housewarming party. They think that she is flaunting her wealthy lineage. In my opinion, I dont think she is cuz she has never made a big deal about her wealth and has always been humble and down to earth in the 6 years I have known her. Now, some of my friends have been emailing me and other friends saying that they think we am supporting Elism by going and dont respect our decisions of going. Come on! I think it is petty and immature.

What do u think? Should someone be proud of a house even though he/she never worked hard for it?

I would be crushed if my real friends judge my background or lifestyle! Real friends couldnt care less how you got your house or what not - they simply show up to support you through all good and bad milestones of your life!

If I won lottery and bought myself a gorgeous mansion, of course I would be proud of it even though I didnt work hard for it. I sure hope that my friends would show up and not make petty remarks about whether I deserve it or not. Golly there are much more deeper issues to worry about than this!

Life is too short for those thinking else of your friends house how she earned it. If they are her true friends , they ought to be happy for her and join in the party to celebrate a gift given to her by her parents. Its a blesssing :)

My friend is hosting a housewarming party tonight at her new house and invited a bunch of us who have been friends with each other for years. However, about half of us arent going while the other half is going. I am the latter half who is going.

The reason for this is cuz my friend is from an extremely wealthy family and her parents bought her a brand new house after she proved herself by working at a steady job for a year. They told her that if she proved to be responsible by holding down a job for a year, they would buy her a house. Been a year so they bought her this house so this will be my first time seeing it. I am happy for her..however, the half of the group who refuses to go tonight arent. They think since she didnt work hard for the house, she shouldnt be hosting a housewarming party. They think that she is flaunting her wealthy lineage. In my opinion, I dont think she is cuz she has never made a big deal about her wealth and has always been humble and down to earth in the 6 years I have known her. Now, some of my friends have been emailing me and other friends saying that they think we am supporting Elism by going and dont respect our decisions of going. Come on! I think it is petty and immature.

What do u think? Should someone be proud of a house even though he/she never worked hard for it?

She did work for it. Her parents made an arrangement with her and she fulfilled it. So she was rewarded.

I sense that the friends are jealous of her.

I see nothing wrong with her having a house warming party.
Any true friend would be happy for her.

I'm with everybody here. It's petty and immature for those people (I'm not going to call them "friends") to judge the situation like they are. They are just jealous and being stupid about it. People should go to this housewarming as a show of support to her. Screw the petty people!

People can be so judgmental!

I would go, but realistically, I would probably try to be nice, while feeling resentment.

If someone bought me a house outright, I probably would keep that fact a secret from friends and try to fit in.

Of course I have actually had a lot of education on how to fit in.

I believe it would be normal to feel some resentment.

The half that aren't going are just being really petty and jealous. Like everyone said, she worked, satisfied the agreement with her family and she should be proud of herself. You are a great friend to go and show her that you support her and the work she did. I'm sure she's not going to quit her job now that she has the house, but if she did, it's her own business. I think it's great that her family was able to do this, and people should not judge her b how her family raises her. She is her own unique self and deserves the chance to have the party since she did what was required of her.

I smell , their jealously over her reward deserved be new home..

Let's continue warming housing party for her deserve happy to have!

Seems their friends think she is not deserve it.. meaning not true friends..
My pov.

I would go, but realistically, I would probably try to be nice, while feeling resentment.

If someone bought me a house outright, I probably would keep that fact a secret from friends and try to fit in.

Of course I have actually had a lot of education on how to fit in.

I believe it would be normal to feel some resentment.

Many of those who aren't going out of not supporting here have worked at jobs sometimes even 2 jobs for years and years and they still can't afford to buy a house. They r still living in apts or rental homes.

For me, my hubby and I are struggling financially now but never did the feelings nor thoughts of resentment occurred when my friend told me about her house. I guess it is cuz she has never been the kind to go around flaunting her wealth or made people feel inferior cuz theyarent wealthy like her family is. :dunno:

No, she won't quit her job cuz she has to pay for the utilities, car, insurance, property taxes. Her parents only bought her the house (yes, it is paid off) but won't pay for anything else. She told her she has to work for everything else. Also, she is an only child.

In the last year, she has only missed 1 day of work when she got hurt on the job. She works hard at her jobs.

I love my friend and I am happy for her. Just sucks when this is becoming a group war. *sighs*

Many of those who aren't going out of not supporting here have worked at jobs sometimes even 2 jobs for years and years and they still can't afford to buy a house. They r still living in apts or rental homes.

For me, my hubby and I are struggling financially now but never did the feelings nor thoughts of resentment occurred when my friend told me about her house. I guess it is cuz she has never been the kind to go around flaunting her wealth or made people feel inferior cuz theyarent wealthy like her family is. :dunno:

No, she won't quit her job cuz she has to pay for the utilities, car, insurance, property taxes. Her parents only bought her the house (yes, it is paid off) but won't pay for anything else. She told her she has to work for everything else. Also, she is an only child.

In the last year, she has only missed 1 day of work when she got hurt on the job. She works hard at her jobs.

I love my friend and I am happy for her. Just sucks when this is becoming a group war. *sighs*

They will probably get over it later. The friendships may not be the same, but if there is a lot in common, I bet they reconcile.

But for the ones, who tried to talk you out of going, I would never trust them again because obviously they talk behind people's back.

Shel, I wish I had her parents! I'm happy that she doesn't have to worry about paying rent or mortgage. Your friends definitely have different situations, so how can they blame your friend for their problems? She has nothing to do with their situations. Cos that's what it sounds like. They're just being petty. It's on them, not on you guys. They're losing out on a free dinner with great company, so bon appetit ;)

You are an understanding, kind friend. She is lucky to have you, and she is truly rich in that aspect.

I wonder.. if these friends would accept an offer of a free house or have their mortgage all paid off in a second by someone else without strings attached if they had the opportunity? If they'd go for it, then they obviously have double standards and their beef is just full of holes.

Shel, I wish I had her parents! I'm happy that she doesn't have to worry about paying rent or mortgage. Your friends definitely have different situations, so how can they blame your friend for their problems? She has nothing to do with their situations. Cos that's what it sounds like. They're just being petty. It's on them, not on you guys. They're losing out on a free dinner with great company, so bon appetit ;)

You are an understanding, kind friend. She is lucky to have you, and she is truly rich in that aspect.

I wish I had her parents too!

I would be crushed if my real friends judge my background or lifestyle! Real friends couldnt care less how you got your house or what not - they simply show up to support you through all good and bad milestones of your life! !

:gpost:

They're just jealous plain and simple. :)

I wonder.. if these friends would accept an offer of a free house or have their mortgage all paid off in a second by someone else without strings attached if they had the opportunity?

I would go for it. I wouldn't have second thoughts. :lol:

sound like jealousy in the air

i don't care of the wealth and etc...
your friend work so hard to prove that she can hold on on something like a job and she did it and she deserve to have. i would be happy for her.

i would love to have free house of my own as a gift

shel have fun at the party smile

I agree with above poster. Dont worry about others. worry about yourself and your friend. Have fun @ party :)

Don't listen your friends and its jealous!!!

Go your friend's party!!

None of their F*&^ business!!! :roll:

Thanks everyone...I wasnt worried about what my other friends thought about me and my other friends for going. Was just wondering what were your views on someone who didnt "work" for their house hosting a housewarming party to celebrate being a homeowner.

Anyways, just got home...there were a lot of people there ..so thrilled about that cuz it means it was only a small part of our group that disagreed with the whole thing and being petty about it while about 85% of us were cool about it.

OMG..her house is fucking beautiful! She has a marble fireplace in her basement with a 2nd kitchen. Jacuzzi in the master bathroom. Only thing I didnt like was how small the bedrooms were but that is typical of brand new homes. Kitchen was BEAAAAAUUUUTTTTIFUULLLL...marble countertops...I was droooolllinnggg.

Had a blast time..will post some pics later on.

Whew! My friend is upset about the situation but she said she cant stress about it cuz she has other issues in her life to worry about.

Your friend is lucky to have a supportive family as well loyal friends. It's good she's learning the value of working for her money, just what her parents wanted for her.

Glad you went and didn't let yourself get suckered into those petty war.

Back