Home Renovation/Construction

crack in floor, carbon monoxide.... common sense with fire and smoke.

I wouldn't worry about that cuz I doubt anybody uses it in America...

the one with red light? that's not for heating. that's to dry yourself out after shower. I had one in my previous home. I rarely used it. I thought it would contribute to skin cancer :lol:

It's been over 10 years so I don't recall but I'm pretty sure they were heat lamps not "dryers". I think they were yellow.

http://www.bathroomheater.org/bathroom-heat-lamps.html

I had that in my bathroom while growing up (the red ones.) They were heat lamps.

Last edited:
But why risk someone dying elsewhere? Safety is safety...? Thats why there are building codes.

True, but I think only radiant (water-based) or electrical are used. I've not heard of anyone using other forms. But then again, what do I know :)

We spent about 2 and 1/2 years readying our previous house for sale, then trying to sell it, in an urban area with foreclosures. A big project was the upstairs bathroom. That was disgusting disaster. I knew someone who had trades experiences and experience building homes with people in poor communities in Nicaragua, and he would do various "handyperson" type jobs here and there on an individual basis, for people he knew in the area. So we enlisted him to re-do the bathroom - the house would not have sold with the bathroom the way it was. We'd had Bathfitter <a business which installs new one-piece tub/shower surrounds over existing structures> come in about a year before we put the house on the market, and they put a new tub over the old one, but the whole bathroom actually needed to be totally gutted, so that's what this guy did. The subfloor was rotting so the floor got ripped up too. New fixtures, walls out to studs, new everything. He also took off the closet shelves and door and re-sanded and painted them.
It was a mess but it was probably a major part of what sold that house.

He also stripped wallpaper from and re-painted a spare room <was considered a bedroom officially>

We also had a different friend of the family, with 30-something years of experiences in home-building trades of all kinds, come and re-paint the upstairs hall and the kitchen, and do lots of little things added up to significant appearance changes.

We had to have a new kitchen counter installed.

We also had to have the front sidewalk mudjacked and an engineering team come and assess the basement walls, as there was concern about that; we ended up needing to to get I-beams up there on one side.

During this time we also had major flooding in the basement so we had disaster repair people come in and fix that.

We had to have a new roof on it - complete tear-off, it had 3 layers...

Other things, too, with that house - that was just a mess altogether....

With this house, the new roof project last year was quite an achievement.

the one with red light? that's not for heating. that's to dry yourself out after shower. I had one in my previous home. I rarely used it. I thought it would contribute to skin cancer :lol:

Could use that to dry yourself, BUT it IS heating lamp not just for drying. They are used in food service to keep food warm, used in reptile tanks to keep them warm, keeping bathroom warm. I have installed them all the time, and NEVER heard it as exclusively for drying one's up but yes, it does have the ability to dry anything up... heat evaporates water.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/250-Watt-Incandescent-R40-Red-Heat-Lamp-Light-Bulb-415836/202768766

It didn't say for drying somebody up, it specifically said "HEAT"

leak? where? dangerous how?

Carbon monoxide, a silent killer... thats how dangerous it is.

Anything that burns carbon of any kind produces carbon monoxide.

If your gas furnace leak and your sleep, thats your final bedtime. Happens all the time, remember LuciaDistrubed? She died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Speaking of carbon monoxide poisoning (as was written in several previous posts), now's the time for all us deafies to get a detector that is a strobe. Mine are both CO & smoke. I just built my house last year, so we made that a requirement. We also have another one that's not a strobe, just a regular CO detector, but my hubby is hearing so he can hear that one. (Of course, this is in ADDITION to all the regular smoke alarms throughout the house, so we've got LOTS :) )

crack in floor, carbon monoxide.... common sense with fire and smoke.

Not just crack, if too much creosote builds up and not cleaning out chimney, carbon monoxide would build up inside living quarter which would kill anyone in there, also chimney fire are no fun! It sounds like a train passing by house!

True, but I think only radiant (water-based) or electrical are used. I've not heard of anyone using other forms. But then again, what do I know :)

Anything that powered by electricity does not produce Carbon monoxide, but if it starts fire on something that got carbon in it, then that will produce carbon monoxide.

Anything that powered by electricity does not produce Carbon monoxide, but if it starts fire on something that got carbon in it, then that will produce carbon monoxide.

My post was referring to the types of in-floor heat.

Could use that to dry yourself, BUT it IS heating lamp not just for drying. They are used in food service to keep food warm, used in reptile tanks to keep them warm, keeping bathroom warm. I have installed them all the time, and NEVER heard it as exclusively for drying one's up but yes, it does have the ability to dry anything up... heat evaporates water.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/250-Watt-Incandescent-R40-Red-Heat-Lamp-Light-Bulb-415836/202768766

It didn't say for drying somebody up, it specifically said "HEAT"

now that I think about it. I guess it was used to warm up the tiles. my family rarely used it. we had no idea what it was for. we thought it's to dry ourselves out after shower :lol:

Carbon monoxide, a silent killer... thats how dangerous it is.

Anything that burns carbon of any kind produces carbon monoxide.

If your gas furnace leak and your sleep, thats your final bedtime. Happens all the time, remember LuciaDistrubed? She died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

oh gosh... I think we know that.

I measured my fart. CO level's registering at 110ppm. yike :Ohno:

My previous home that I had built had a heated master bath floor. We built our current home a year ago, but we skipped the heated bath floors this time. It died out in the previous home in about 7 years, and there's no way to repair it short of jacking up all the tiles.

that's why we only installed in the shower. however, after 7 years you may even want to replace the tiles. or not.
if not, you may try using the thermal camera to detect the broken part and carefully replace only this particular piece.

I don't know how to find good CC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEK4KjZ24-s

Fuzzy

I have to repair one of door hinge that came off due to weaken drill area of wood frame.

There is update... I fixed it.

image1%201_zpsodtgonfy.jpg

Just need long nail and power drill to secure the nail tightly.

Back