High School Valedictorian Refuses to Bow Down, Has Speech Censored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heath

Reaction score
AgapePress - A constitutional attorney is denouncing a Las Vegas school district for pulling the plug on a Christian student's commencement speech because it referred to her faith in Jesus Christ. At a recent graduation ceremony, Clark County School District (CCSD) officials cut the microphone on Foothill High School valedictorian Brittany McComb after she began reading a speech that contained Bible verses and references to God.

The district officials claim McComb's speech amounted to religious proselytizing and could have been perceived as school-sponsored, thus making it a violation of the so-called separation of church and state. But Mat Staver, founder and chairman of the Florida-based pro-family legal organization Liberty Counsel, says the high school valedictorian has every right to take the school district to court over the incident.

"I think this is one of the most outrageous examples of censorship at graduation that I've seen," Staver contends. "For school officials to literally be standing by the switch at the mixing board and cut the microphone on a student, simply because that student mentions God or Jesus, is just unbelievable."

With high school behind her, McComb plans to study journalism at Biola University, a Christian college in Southern California. But during her four years at Foothill, she says, "they taught me logic and they taught me freedom of speech." However, when the school's 2006 valedictorian tried to apply these lessons in her graduation address, the graduating senior with the 4.7 GPA ran into a problem.

In vetting McComb's speech, school officials stripped it of biblical references and approved an edited version, cutting six mentions of God or Christ and omitting two biblical references. At the graduation exercises, however, the teen commencement speaker felt compelled to deviate from the edited version. "God's the biggest part of my life," she says. "Just like other valedictorians thank their parents, I wanted to thank my Lord and Savior."

For the Foothill High School graduate, it all boiled down to her faith and her fundamental First Amendment right to free speech. For those reasons , she asserts, she chose in this instance to rebel against authority for the first time in her life. And, according to an Associated Press report, a sympathetic crowd of nearly 400 graduates and their families booed angrily at the school officials for several minutes after they cut McComb's microphone.

An American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Nevada official who read the unedited version of the young woman's speech told the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper the school district did the right thing in cutting the valedictory address short. But Staver disagrees that the district's action was warranted and comments, "In my opinion it's reprehensible, and I also believe it's unconstitutional."

The ACLU spokesperson quoted in the Review-Journal made the argument that graduation speakers like McComb are given a school-sponsored forum and therefore their speech is school-sponsored speech. But Liberty Counsel's chairman insists that student commencement speakers' personal remarks and expressions are free speech under the U.S. Constitution.

"Clearly, the law protects students who are in the graduation podium, on the platform, because they are there for some neutral reason -- in this case, being the valedictorian," Staver says. "That student has the right to be able to give a message of his or her own choice regarding the viewpoint of the particular message that's being delivered."

While the attorney regards the silencing of McComb's speech at the Foothill High School commencement as one of the most egregious acts of graduation censorship he has seen, he notes that it is one among many such incidents that happen to speakers of faith every year -- a problem that has to be stopped. "Schools should not, must not, and must stop censoring these kinds of religious viewpoints simply because they are Christian in nature," he says.

Even now, Staver points out, his organization is involved in a similar case. Liberty Counsel is currently representing a Colorado high school graduate whose diploma was withheld after she shared her faith in Jesus Christ during a commencement speech.

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/6/afa/212006a.asp

Also please do a very positive thing ....

Please Sign The Petition:

Help AFA gather 100,000 signatures thanking Brittany McComb for her courageous stand against censors
Brittany McComb was one of the valedictorians at Foothill High School recently. She graduated with a 4.7 GPA. She earned the right to address the other graduates at Foothill, located in Henderson, Nevada.

She gave a copy of her graduating speech to the school administrators. It contained some Biblical references and even mentioned (one time) the name "Christ". The school administrators censored some of the Biblical references. They also censored the single reference to Christ.

Then the school officials handed the speech over to the ACLU for approval and/or more censoring. After getting the OK from the ACLU, Brittany’s speech (minus the censored references to the Bible and Christ) was approved. Brittany was warned that if she deviated from the ACLU approved language, her mike would be cut off.

Then came the moment for the big decision. She would not bow down, she decided. She would go with her original version. She stepped to the mike and began her speech. But just before she could utter the name "Christ", her mike went dead. School officials silenced her. The crowd of 400 jeered for several minutes, angry at the action of the school officials. The ACLU was happy. They had silenced another Christian.

"I went through four years of school at Foothill and they taught me logic and they taught me freedom of speech. God’s the biggest part of my life. Just like other valedictorians thank their parents, I wanted to thank my lord and savior," Brittany said.

Because she refused to bow down to the ACLU's idol of gold, she did not get her wish. She was censored.

This young heroine deserves praise and a thank you from those who believe in free speech.

Thank you, Brittany, for having the courage to stand up for your rights and the rights of others. Your courage will inspire thousands of others to take a stand for free speech and religious freedom.

https://secure.afa.net/afa/afapetition/signpetition.asp?id=1560

How would u feel if this student is muslim and saying muslim in the speech front of his/her peer?

jazzy said:
How would u feel if this student is muslim and saying muslim in the speech front of his/her peer?

He would be thanking allah and his parents. I see nothing wrong with that, Just like a jewish person is thanking G-d and his parents at the high school graduation ceremony.

...How does one graduate with a 4.7 GPA?

Teresh said:
...How does one graduate with a 4.7 GPA?

Some school systems have 5.0 GPA and some have 4.0 GPA. My school had 4.0 GPA.

Heath said:
Some school systems have 5.0 GPA and some have 4.0 GPA. My school had 4.0 GPA.

Interesting. I did not know that. All of the schools I've gone to went on the 4.0 system or the percentage system.

Teresh said:
Interesting. I did not know that. All of the schools I've gone to went on the 4.0 system or the percentage system.

Yeah, All of my elementary and high school years were based on the 4.0 GPA and there are some schools that do the 5.0 GPA.

There are free gpa calcuators online. Here is one example. There are many.

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

Heath said:
He would be thanking allah and his parents. I see nothing wrong with that, Just like a jewish person is thanking G-d and his parents at the high school graduation ceremony.

You surprise me sometime. Glad u have no problem with different faith to use those words at graduation.

jazzy said:
You surprise me sometime. Glad u have no problem with different faith to use those words at graduation.

Well, I am not that bad as people here on AllDeaf make me out to be. Those who grew up with me and know me know that I am not a bad guy and there is no need to let the imagination run wild. Real life is much better. I am more down to earth hard working guy. The liberals are really being inappropriate here and being very anti-christ at a time when people come together to be happy and see their sons and daughters graduate from high school and go on to lead positive and hard working productive lives. They are thanking God and The Lord Jesus Christ then thanking their earthly parents just like muslims and jewish people would at a high school graduation. The liberals really hate Jesus Christ when you really see what the liberal establishment really is like. You will never hear a Christian tell somebody you are not allowed to do that at a high school graduation or at the college level for that matter with the possible exceptation of satanic prayers and thanking the devil which really would be disturbing then the satanic child thanks their earthly parents. That defientely is not normal, man ....so now you will see more and more anti christ things happening in the Last Days here and people who are with Jesus Christ know that they are the real winners in this spiritual battle being waged all over the world in the spiritual world. The liberal establishment is fundamentally anti-christ to the core.

Well, it wasn't our problem in graduation except for pledge for US flags and I remember that LAUSD was permit and explain about 1st Amendment that where's freedom of speech based on religions then they agreed to approved new policy to bans on freedom of speech at school campuses and graduation to protect from religion tensions but students cannot have pray in classes and most part of school buildings, also students can have pray in private area, such as in restroom. Yea, we had problem with religion tensions then LAUSD offered that all schools are religion free area, that where students feel more comfortable to around schools with great diversity.

I had noticed that some other schools in LA area, some of students got kicked out from graduation for start freedom of speech based on religion because it's violate school district policies, it means not hurts student rights though. School principals are just give diploma to students in other day after graduation since students that who got kicked out for violate school policy, horrible behavior and rude. We don't have problem in our graduation...

This is so disgusting. The girl did nothing wrong. She was expressing her mind without being violent. She wasn't forcing anything on other students. The mention of your religion bible references or beliefs is fine as long as you do not force other students to believe it or teach it in school either. Nobody seems to know what separation between church and state really is. The definition needs to be clarified once and for all Americans. I don't think it's right to keep students from voicing non-violent beliefs. If she truly feels God was part of her life and helped her, so be it. Let her tell about it or there's nothing to say. I see no reason whatsoever for stopping the girl except they are cowards. You can't squeeze out every mention of God in schools. People can't help it being part of their lives.

Heath said:
Well, I am not that bad as people here on AllDeaf make me out to be. Those who grew up with me and know me know that I am not a bad guy and there is no need to let the imagination run wild. Real life is much better. I am more down to earth hard working guy. The liberals are really being inappropriate here and being very anti-christ at a time when people come together to be happy and see their sons and daughters graduate from high school and go on to lead positive and hard working productive lives. They are thanking God and The Lord Jesus Christ then thanking their earthly parents just like muslims and jewish people would at a high school graduation. The liberals really hate Jesus Christ when you really see what the liberal establishment really is like. You will never hear a Christian tell somebody you are not allowed to do that at a high school graduation or at the college level for that matter with the possible exceptation of satanic prayers and thanking the devil which really would be disturbing then the satanic child thanks their earthly parents. That defientely is not normal, man ....so now you will see more and more anti christ things happening in the Last Days here and people who are with Jesus Christ know that they are the real winners in this spiritual battle being waged all over the world in the spiritual world. The liberal establishment is fundamentally anti-christ to the core.

I have witnessed many Christian attack people who practice pagan or wicca. Read on internet few weeks ago about a dead soldier who were killed in Iraq, he asked his emablm on his gravesite to be marked as a wiccan. They refused it but allowed others to have them on theirs. Now if this young girl was a wiccan and saying a wiccan prayer at gradutation,will she be allowed to do this also? I unds why the school don't let this girl to say this prayer.
U know I am a liberalist and will never convert to conservative. So be it if the spiritaul battle between u and me. U can call me the anti-christ which I know I am not but I will never point finger u as an anti-christ becasuse it is not His way of doing. I do not see any different between anti-christ things back in old days as it shows today. Only thing is difference, this world is getting bigger with bigger problems.
To me what Prez Bush did with Iraq is anti-christ, to you it is not. U agree with him and I don't. Does it make me anti-christ because I do not follow what others believe?

Well, like this has ended last few years, can't do that anymore, but interesting note, aclu charged against the school few years ago for grad where muslim girl shared her faith, but school doesn't allow, bec against freedom of speech and religion. I'm not surprise. Anything of christian aclu coming after you, if other religion should be respectful. My great grandfather is right I never forget what he said, I will face lot worse than he faced, bec he said since growing up, been changing little by little to destroy christian faith and lead many people a way from their faith. I can see that very obvious.. I love Ray Boltz song called I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE LAMB, WITH ALL MY STRENGTH, WITH ALL I AM, I WILL SEEK TO HONOR HIS COMMAND, I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE LAMB. Seem like not to long from now, it might force to come into your house, to take the Bible a way from you, bec since my school year its gone down hill.

jazzy said:
I have witnessed many Christian attack people who practice pagan or wicca. Read on internet few weeks ago about a dead soldier who were killed in Iraq, he asked his emablm on his gravesite to be marked as a wiccan. They refused it but allowed others to have them on theirs. Now if this young girl was a wiccan and saying a wiccan prayer at gradutation,will she be allowed to do this also? I unds why the school don't let this girl to say this prayer.
U know I am a liberalist and will never convert to conservative. So be it if the spiritaul battle between u and me. U can call me the anti-christ which I know I am not but I will never point finger u as an anti-christ becasuse it is not His way of doing. I do not see any different between anti-christ things back in old days as it shows today. Only thing is difference, this world is getting bigger with bigger problems.
To me what Prez Bush did with Iraq is anti-christ, to you it is not. U agree with him and I don't. Does it make me anti-christ because I do not follow what others believe?

Don't worry about him, just ignore him and report to admin via PM.

I'm gonna state three things:

1) Online petitions mean NOTHING. Give it up. Online petitions are nothing more than a feel-good thing to do. They do NOTHING to change laws to make people's lives better.

2) I personally wouldn't care if that speech was read to me, but I can definitely see how this is akin to proletyzing to a captive audience. You can't "just get up and leave" if you don't like the speech.

3) YOU HAVE NO "FREEDOM TO SAY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT" AS A STUDENT AT THE SCHOOL. NONE. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything you want. Freedom of speech means that the government can't punish you for speaking out against the government. NOTHING MORE.

Heath said:
You will never hear a Christian tell somebody you are not allowed to do that at a high school graduation or at the college level for that matter with the possible exceptation of satanic prayers and thanking the devil which really would be disturbing then the satanic child thanks their earthly parents. That defientely is not normal, man ...

And why would it be so wrong to thank Satan, if you are a Satanist? How is that different than a Christian thanking Jesus, a Jew thanking YHWH or a Muslim thanking Allah? For that matter, would a non-Abrahamic religious figure - Brahman/Ishvara, Vahiguru, Jah/Haile Selassie I - be acceptable?

Dennis said:
I'm gonna state three things:

1) Online petitions mean NOTHING. Give it up. Online petitions are nothing more than a feel-good thing to do. They do NOTHING to change laws to make people's lives better.

2) I personally wouldn't care if that speech was read to me, but I can definitely see how this is akin to proletyzing to a captive audience. You can't "just get up and leave" if you don't like the speech.

3) YOU HAVE NO "FREEDOM TO SAY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT" AS A STUDENT AT THE SCHOOL. NONE. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything you want. Freedom of speech means that the government can't punish you for speaking out against the government. NOTHING MORE.

Yea, that great... :gpost:

AFA has setup their online petition to against on Ford then it obiviously won't work, just nothing to do it.

volcomskatz said:
Don't worry about him, just ignore him and report to admin via PM.

Volocomskatz, you do realize that you really are a very angry individual and this is about the liberals telling some Christian girl to shut the hell up when she is speaking her mind and she is not prosletyzing or anything like that. You sit there at your graduation and you listen to the muslims say thank you to allah then their parents then you sit and listen to the jewish say thank you to G-d then her parents then a Christian girl comes on stage and she thanks God and The Lord Jesus Christ then her parents. You get out of your seat and act out very angry towards the Christian family meanwhile you respect those 2 families of different religious beliefs. At my graduation I would show respect because this is a very happy time for all of the families. This is really the liberal establishment showing their hatred and contempt for a Christian girl who said nothing more than spoke her heartfelt gratidute and thank you to God and her Lord Jesus Christ, her Personal Savior. You get very angry , liberals get very angry. I see it all the time. I will speak my mind however I see fit as appropriate. I live for God and Jesus Christ and no one, not even the devil can take that away from me nor for anybody who really lives for God and Jesus Christ. This is something you never will understand. I understand. You do not understand because you are a very angry individiual while I am not an angry individual. I possess strong beliefs and do what is right and live for God and The Lord Jesus Christ. I back that Christian girl 100 %. You really are an hypocrite to get angry over something that is good, pure and holy at a very happy time for many families that day and you can not handle that.

Petitions do really work. We have had many victories with AFA and many Christian organizations as well as secular organizations who instinctively know that homosexuality is wrong.

Again, the topic was the focus on the Christian girl and this is not about homosexuality at this time. This is about the Christian girl and her right to speak at her graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back