Hi there...

mesurezvie

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm Lauren.

I'm not really sure exactly what I'm looking for. I'm hearing--sort of. I was born with a condition that causes my ear canals to close over time from scar tissue. One characteristic of the condition is severe swimmer's ear, so even the smallest bit of water creates infections and scar tissues which close my ear canals. At this point, I've lost about 50% of my hearing, and it's...frightening...to think that I could lose all of it. Up until now I've had surgery every few years to reconstruct the canals, but it's tolling, painful and temporary and not worth it.

I'm learning how to sign, but for someone who has spoken and heard for the 16 years of her life, it's difficult. I guess I'm looking for some friends who can teach me about the Deaf community and offer advice.

I hope to learn lots from you all, and in advance, it's nice to meet you.

Hi Lauren. Welcome. I am also new here.

I can relate to what you are going through (sorta). Back in February I experienced SSHL (sudden hearing loss) in my left ear. Went from normal hearing to 100% loss in my left ear over a 24 hr period. No explanation from the docs... "it just happens sometimes..."

I am not expected to lose the hearing in my right ear, but then again I am not too convinced by that since they could never explain what caused the loss in my L ear.

Anyway, best of luck with your condition and we look forward to getting to know you.

Hello and WElcome to AD. Hope y0u find what you are looking for in here and learn all bout what deafness is all about. Nothing to be ashame about and it all fun once u get to know us all. :)

Hello and :welcome: to AD! Enjoy this fun site and hope you will learn lots from all of us who have so many perspectives. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Now you will be able to understand what Deafness is like and how frustrating we Deafies have to put up with AGBell who think we can hear with our hearing aid or CI to understand without ASL and lipreading. It is not true and we are still struggling trying to understand hearing people but we are loss and get turn off from them. So I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. You will get benefit from us knowing what Deaf Culture, Deaf Communities, Deaf Education and most of all ASL which we love very much as a visual sign language much better than lipreading. See you around. :wave:

Back