Hi from NYC

Doune

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

My best friend call me Doune, but my real name is Gerdine. I am 29 years old...30 in a few weeks. I am here to make new friends because I am hard of hearing, almost completely deaf. I have a moderate to severe hearing loss from 250-8000HZ. My MCL was found to be 75 dB in the left ear and 90 dB in the right ear. Doctors and audiograms say that I have a nerve problem that getting worse every year and there's no way to stop it. One day, i will be completely deaf! That's not a good news at all... :(

My hearing loss really spoiled my life. I feel like really limited in everything, even in making new friends. My personal life is a disaster, no boyfriend or lover. Who wants a deaf girl? Even online, I am always ashamed to meet people and I flee all meeting request... I know it's not normal... I need to have more confident in myself..., but it's hard when people get mad at you because you can't hear what they say...Everyday is a new challenge for me at work. The customers hate to repeat, but my managers are nice and help me a lot. I am working on a big store and i have to help dozens of customers every day...that stress me a lot! :Oops:

In spite of my hearing loss, i am a very pasionate woman. I love to talk, love to laugh, love to do things i really enjoy. I looooove love love photography (outdoor, fashion, children, animals) and graphic design, I love working with my hand and my mind, create thing like cards for announcement, wedding, baby... I love to cook and decorate also, but I don't do it often... :ty::lol:

But one thing that i'd really like is to make friends, good, very good friends, deaf or not on any gender... I just need someone who can understand me and have good times. :cool2:

Thanks!

Hello! I'm from NYC, too.

Don't let your deafness stop you from enjoying your life to its fullest. Screw what other people think of you! Keep going to local deaf events and you'll make a lot of new friends. There are a lot of good people around in NYC.

Thanks Lanapoo!

I am new in NYC and new to deaf life... I never resign myself to accept my deafness, but now i have no choice, i have to live with it. So, i'd like to know where are the deaf special events in NYC (Manhattan or Brooklyn) if you know. I think about taking a sign language class next year and plan a new orientation in my career... It's not easy when you are new in deafness...

For you i guess it's not so complicate because you were born with it.

DeafNYC is a good website to get yourself immersed within the local deaf community.

It's very easy to adapt with your new deafness once you learn more about the technology we have to provide like videophones, interpreters, hearing aids, Cochlear Implants, etc.

I know some late deafened adults and they have learned to embrace it and you will too. :) Just know that you're not alone and it takes some time getting used to.

Thanks Lanapoo!

I am new in NYC and new to deaf life... I never resign myself to accept my deafness, but now i have no choice, i have to live with it. So, i'd like to know where are the deaf special events in NYC (Manhattan or Brooklyn) if you know. I think about taking a sign language class next year and plan a new orientation in my career... It's not easy when you are new in deafness...

:wave: welcome!

right now - NYC DPHH is indefinitely closed. We have NJ DPHH at Hoboken (once a month) or a new unofficial NYC event called "D*HH NYC" (not associated with NYC DPHH).

For ASL class - you can try either LaGuardia Community College or a small private class - Sign Language Center

I know both of them and they're both excellent teachers. I would recommend you to go for small private class because it's a small class with homely feeling and informal environment.

For deaf events - no idea. I just go by word-of-mouth or event postings in here or whatever.

My best friend call me Doune, but my real name is Gerdine. I am 29 years old...30 in a few weeks. I am here to make new friends because I am hard of hearing, almost completely deaf. I have a moderate to severe hearing loss from 250-8000HZ. My MCL was found to be 75 dB in the left ear and 90 dB in the right ear. Doctors and audiograms say that I have a nerve problem that getting worse every year and there's no way to stop it. One day, i will be completely deaf! That's not a good news at all... :(

My hearing loss really spoiled my life. I feel like really limited in everything, even in making new friends. My personal life is a disaster, no boyfriend or lover. Who wants a deaf girl? Even online, I am always ashamed to meet people and I flee all meeting request... I know it's not normal... I need to have more confident in myself..., but it's hard when people get mad at you because you can't hear what they say...Everyday is a new challenge for me at work. The customers hate to repeat, but my managers are nice and help me a lot. I am working on a big store and i have to help dozens of customers every day...that stress me a lot! :Oops:

In spite of my hearing loss, i am a very pasionate woman. I love to talk, love to laugh, love to do things i really enjoy. I looooove love love photography (outdoor, fashion, children, animals) and graphic design, I love working with my hand and my mind, create thing like cards for announcement, wedding, baby... I love to cook and decorate also, but I don't do it often... :ty::lol:

But one thing that i'd really like is to make friends, good, very good friends, deaf or not on any gender... I just need someone who can understand me and have good times. :cool2:

Thanks!

welcome to AD!
just like you, I have a moderate to severe loss right now but it's now stable LOL
Had moderate-severe loss since June of 06 and stable for 4 yrs
I'm also switching to Oticon Safaris in 2 months.

Hi there. Good luck with your adjustment process. I am fairly certain it will get easier as you go along in life.

If you really hate being deaf, there is always a possibility to be assessed for a cochlear implant.

Don't give up. :)

Hello welcome to AD :)

hope be enjoy thread nice to meet to you!!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. The thing is Cochlear Implant (CI) devices and surgery really cost a lot of money unless you have insurance that might cover those costs. If you don't want the CI, then you will have to adapt to the hearing aids (one or both ears). So now you are late deafend. Just pick any topic that interest you and have fun with us. Just learn to live with hearing loss. You will be fine as you learn to get used to it. Being deaf is nothing to be ashame of it. Silence is golden. See you around here. :wave:

Thank you everybody for your support. You are my first contact with deaf people and now I realize I am not alone in that world. Everytime i feel down, i'll think of you to feel better... :)

I know I should not be ashame of that because it's just a disease like any other,(and to tell you the truth, i prefer beeig deaf than having any other desease much more terrible...lol), but when you are in a world where only you is deaf, it's different because people get mad or laugh at you.

For now, Doctors say that i don't need a CI now because i still can hear without my hearing aid sometimes. Maybe in the futur if i am completely deaf, i could think with a surgery.

Thanks again

Have a nice day everyone.

Is that true NYC is very stinky, because of Statue of Liberty's armpits? :lol:

Welcome to alldeaf!

Is that true NYC is very stinky, because of Statue of Liberty's armpits? :lol:

Welcome to alldeaf!
Is that the reason you moved away from D.C as the stinky smell has spread to D.C? :lol:

Anyway, @ Doune Welcome to AD and best thing if you do sign language class, just do it, and you wont regret it.

Hi Doune! I hope you are doing better. I imagine it must be hard because it is an adjustment. Don't think about what others think. You are special and unique in your own way. Don't think that no guy will want a deaf girl because that is not true. As you get adjusted to all these changes that are going on in your life, you will that all will fall into place.

Hi Doune! I hope you are doing better. I imagine it must be hard because it is an adjustment. Don't think about what others think. You are special and unique in your own way. Don't think that no guy will want a deaf girl because that is not true. As you get adjusted to all these changes that are going on in your life, you will that all will fall into place.

:gpost: :gpost:

You said it. :thumb:

Thanks Lanapoo!

There's plenty of deaf events in NYC metro and Long Island area.

check out the link - DeafNYC

I'm going to be in Manhattan for ASL Poetry show and Happy hour a day before Thankgiving Day. And also DPHH (Deaf Professional Happy Hour) at Surta's Lounge after Thanksgiving Day. =)

My best friend call me Doune, but my real name is Gerdine. I am 29 years old...30 in a few weeks. I am here to make new friends because I am hard of hearing, almost completely deaf. I have a moderate to severe hearing loss from 250-8000HZ. My MCL was found to be 75 dB in the left ear and 90 dB in the right ear. Doctors and audiograms say that I have a nerve problem[/COLOR] that getting worse every year and there's no way to stop it. One day, i will be completely deaf! That's not a good news at all... :(

Thanks!

I have 90dB in my right ear also. 85dB in my left. Still the same dB ever since I was born.

I was born Deaf with neurological damage. (not a brain damage!)

Bad news? Not to me!:D

I have many friends both Deaf and Hearing. No matter what! I cherish my two Hearing best friends and 2 Deaf best friends.

I have a Deaf boyfriend. It's not true....a few Hearing men wanted me but I turned them down for good reasons!!:D

Welcome to AD.

welcome to AD.being a new member of the deaf culture you will find that all deaf people have a new skill with the loss of hearing- unsurpassed sexual powers.enjoy

Back