Hi from MN

tyeslater

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a hearing person just starting to learn ASL. I'm a wife and mother of 2 children. I work part-time and a full time student. I'm learning ASL online and joined the ASL club at my college until I can take the class in the fall. I look forward to getting to know you guys. :ty:

Welcome!

Hi, I'm a hearing person just starting to learn ASL. I'm a wife and mother of 2 children. I work part-time and a full time student. I'm learning ASL online and joined the ASL club at my college until I can take the class in the fall. I look forward to getting to know you guys. :ty:
Kudos to you for learning ASL. When my partner and I moved to Asheville four years ago, we took a couple sign language classes at a local college. We both knew basic sign (somewhat - and I had been sort of using it since my 20s). When the instructor asked what we wanted to learn and why, I said ASL so I could communicate with the deaf. :) She asked it again some time later and I knew to give it up AND, I don't know deaf or Deaf (our meaning is became deaf - me or born Deaf - others). I know English. I can regurgitate grammar and sentence structure rules (and err) but ASL is beyond my ability.

Welcome to the group. We are a mish mosh of ages from young to old and a variety of personalities with a variety of losses from hard of hearing (HoH) to deaf.

Cheers,
-- Sher

I go to a community college. they offer ASL 1 (fall) and 2( spring) that's why i have to wait for fall. I dont have a reason to learn it as in i dont know anyone who is deaf. I just thought it was a beautiful language that be fun to learn. I joined the newspaper at school and found out we had a ASL club. so my first article was on the club. after i wrote the article i joined the club. I watch Bill Vicars of Lifeprint.com on youtube and that has wonderful lessons.

I go to a community college. they offer ASL 1 (fall) and 2( spring) that's why i have to wait for fall. I dont have a reason to learn it as in i dont know anyone who is deaf. I just thought it was a beautiful language that be fun to learn. I joined the newspaper at school and found out we had a ASL club. so my first article was on the club. after i wrote the article i joined the club. I watch Bill Vicars of Lifeprint.com on youtube and that has wonderful lessons.

That is what most hearing people who want to study ASL think or thought of ASL being the most amazing and beautiful sign language. It is like florish like a art to them.

But for us, Deafies, we use our ASL as our first primary sign language. That is how we need to communicate so that by visual we can understand what we can not hear spoken words or could not pick up the words. We depend on them, not a crunch. Others think that it is a crunch. To us, no.

Anyway, are your two children hearing or have hearing loss? :hmm:

EDIT: Are your ASL club all hearing?

So you live in Minneapolis. Huge Deaf community there that you can attend many socials.

I have not been to Minnesota long time as I used to attended both elementary and high school in Minneapolis. Also work for a few years before moving to New Mexico and then later to Canada. Anyway, there is large Deaf communities in both Minneapolis and St. Paul. So if you can find where the Deaf communities, then you will probably go for social events to associate using ASL without using your voice at all. They will welcome you if you are almost fluently in ASL.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

my school in the suburbs of St. Paul. I live about a 1/2 hour north in the boonies. once i'm taking the class i hope to go to the several ASL night out events i've heard about

Wicked ASWOME!! big hello. glad to know you like ASL. ASL is a beautifully language. contrary to what some here may think, its beautify doesn't in no way shape or sign negate that its also we Deafs primary mode of communication. really dive in. it offers so much. stick around. and stick with it. Tyeslater i think you will really enjoy this book and accompaniment c.d. The more hearing people learn, enjoy and take up ASL the better we as Deaf will be able to pass it on to future Deaf. as a living memory and our language.
Do yourself a favor and track this down. you wont regret it
Hoichi-the earless

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Signing-Body-Poetic-American-Literature/dp/0520229762]Signing the Body Poetic: Essays on American Sign Language Literature: H-Dirksen L. Bauman, Heidi M. Rose, Jennifer L. Nelson, W.J.T. Mitchell, William C. Stokoe: 9780520229761: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I must say I first just wanted to learn ASL for fun until I learned I may become deaf as my ears are deteriorating from suffering with asthma for years without knowing I had it. Leading to constant ear infections from getting bronchitis at least once a year :(

I must say I first just wanted to learn ASL for fun until I learned I may become deaf as my ears are deteriorating from suffering with asthma for years without knowing I had it. Leading to constant ear infections from getting bronchitis at least once a year :(

Sorry for that...:shock:
So you have ears profound or lost ?

PS Welcome :welcome:

Back