Hi From California

IWant2Learn

Reaction score
I am 39 yrs old and am hearing. I am in my first year of ASL. I am not here to do any "studies" or to change others. I am here because I have a passion for the Deaf community.

See I had a son who was born deaf but he died very young, and though I have no one in my family that is deaf nor are my friends, I feel driven to learn the language my son would have learned.

I would like to be an interpreter and maybe teach children ( God willing) but I want to learn more about the community my son would have been a part of.

The way I see things is this language is very unique in that you don't have a choice. If I move to Mexico, France or wherever I can learn the language of the country, but the deaf community only has that language so in my personal opinion it SHOULD be mandatory in our schools and taught to all.

I have been learning on how many were forced as children to be oral and just the treatment of the Deaf community over the past years and I have to say my eyes have been open and my heart broken. It is so sad to me that for so long so many were treated so poorly.

I hope to get to know all of you :)

Hugs

:welcome:To AD and enjoy posting with the rest of us.

Hey there, surf's up from another Californian, man— or wait, you sound perhaps female!

The forum's a great way to get started in general to gather feedback, opinions, personal advice and the such.

I'm sure that you realize our business-retrospective state is hostile towards the imperfect denizens.
However, depending on where you are at, Northern or Southern.. I believe there are numerous deaf events/fairs that are held throughout the year aside from the monthly hangouts.

If you're from socal, a few sites to get you started for events are here:
Center on Deafness - Inland Empire
GLAD - Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deafness, Inc.

some links might have expired, its best you get in contact with their office for streamlined information.

Aside from that, hope you enjoy your stay here. Never be afraid to ask a question, publicly or through private messaging. Your private message option will activate once you reach 50 posts ;)

HI and thanks for the warm welcomes.

I actually live in Northern Cali ( the bay area specifically) .. I am just finding out all the events we have.

DCARA - HOME

Thanks for the info though :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am glad that you are trying to understand where your son was going through being deaf. I know it is hard to lose him and want to know what he had to go through being Deaf. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. I hope to see you around. :thumb:

I am 39 yrs old and am hearing. I am in my first year of ASL. I am not here to do any "studies" or to change others. I am here because I have a passion for the Deaf community.

See I had a son who was born deaf but he died very young

The way I see things is this language is very unique in that you don't have a choice. it SHOULD be mandatory in our schools and taught to all.

I have been learning on how many were forced as children to be oral and just the treatment of the Deaf community over the past years and I have to say my eyes have been open and my heart broken.

:welcome: Sorry about your son. Not very practical to teach ASL to all. We are a very small minority, and plenty of people may spend their whole life with no encounters with Deaf people. :)

I would be happy with good electronic communication methods in all public places where I might have to interact with hearing.

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

Sorry about your son.

Welcome to AllDeaf! :D

Back