Hi everyone from Spain!

AnDanTe

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm a guy from Spain, not deaf but with quite a big loss of hearing. I have been looking for a forum like this for a long time, so I hope to come here often, this looks like a nice place and there are some topics I would like to discuss about!

Cheers!

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum.

You are most welcome to discuss the topics what you know and how you feel. Everyone has opinions of what they think. So enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

I noticed your signature that Jesus is born.

Would it be a good way to express that Jesus was born as it was over 2,000 years ago? :hmm:

Merry Christmas!

I think it says that because most Christians believe that Jesus is still alive today, since he was resurrected.. I'm not sure though.

welcome? which part of spain are you from? are you wishing to learn spanish sign langauge?
or wish to remain oral only?
if i recall correctly, the sign in Spanish sign language for (do you sign?) is the same sign in ASL for shut up lol which always tickled me...

Howdy from the Southern part of the US

Is buenas dias appropriate? My last Spanish class in college was @1974 :) . Welcome. Tengo profound/CI loss but have a tiny bit of "residual hearing." Hablo English too well, so people cannot tell I have a hearing loss. I live with a mixed bag.

Buenas noches! Soy del sur de los Estados Unidos también.. I've taken Spanish classes since Kindergarten!

Thanks everyone!

welcome? which part of spain are you from? are you wishing to learn spanish sign langauge?
or wish to remain oral only?
if i recall correctly, the sign in Spanish sign language for (do you sign?) is the same sign in ASL for shut up lol which always tickled me...

I'm from the north of Spain, very close to France!

from now I'm not planning to study sign language, I was really shocked when I discovered that sign language is not universal! do they have at least some common "structure" or symbols or are they completely different? it's quite interesting :P

Is buenas dias appropriate? My last Spanish class in college was @1974 :) . Welcome. Tengo profound/CI loss but have a tiny bit of "residual hearing." Hablo English too well, so people cannot tell I have a hearing loss. I live with a mixed bag.

Yeah, buenos días! :D
What do you mean by mixed bag?

Buenas noches! Soy del sur de los Estados Unidos también.. I've taken Spanish classes since Kindergarten!

Good night! yeah I was shocked when they told me that in southern USA is very common to teach Spanish in schools!

Thanks everyone!

I'm from the north of Spain, very close to France!

Basque?

from now I'm not planning to study sign language, I was really shocked when I discovered that sign language is not universal! do they have at least some common "structure" or symbols or are they completely different? it's quite interesting :P

never understood why hearies think that. its almost universal amongst hearies to believe sign language is universal . NO!! sign languages like aural (hearing) are completely different. just like aural (haring) languages though, some sign language are related to others. its an entire different plane of languages. we are on the higher plane, aural (hearing) languages a bit lower. glad you find sign interesting. dive in...

Basque?

never understood why hearies think that. its almost universal amongst hearies to believe sign language is universal . NO!! sign languages like aural (hearing) are completely different. just like aural (haring) languages though, some sign language are related to others. its an entire different plane of languages. we are on the higher plane, aural (hearing) languages a bit lower. glad you find sign interesting. dive in...

Yeah! do you know the Basque Country?

I guess we are confused because we always hear about sign language in singular, not languageS, so we somehow understand there is only one universal sign language that some smart guy invented so deaf people could communicate... though it doesn't make much sense if you think about it for a minute hahaha

...never understood why hearies think that. its almost universal amongst hearies to believe sign language is universal...
Maybe because they (wrongly) believe that "sign language" is merely a collection of iconic gestures that should be universal. They don't realize that each sign language is a complex structure of signs and grammar, and that few of those signs are actually iconic. Even if the signs were all iconic gestures, those have different meanings within different cultures (think of the "thumbs up" gesture). Even facial expressions are not universal. Some national sign languages share some sign vocabulary but even then that's not universality, and they usually aren't native signs but imported signs.

Just my opinion.

Back