Hi all, New here!

Militaryguy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I am Ryan and I new here so I'd thought I would drop a line to intro myself and try to get a feel for the site. I am active USAF and I am HOH (due to work/Iraq incident) and possibly on the verge of losing more of my hearing in the future, which I have been told. I have taken it upon myself to learn ASl and ready myself if that day ever comes that I wake up and I can no longer hear. I have good and bad days when I can hear decently well and I do not need to say "what?" or "huh?" all the time. Then there are other times where I can hardly hear anything being said at conversation tone/level and I end up leaving the conversation area and try not to participate. It gets frustrating when no one around you understands that you cannot hear them and you ask for them to repeat what they said again. So I am hoping I can make some friends here and get help learning ASL because I am doing it on my own as of now because I have no school near me or on base that can teach me. Since the doctors have no diagnosed me with "permanent" hearing lose. I am being kept on active duty, because I have no other problems other than not being able to hear well. Alright I will end my rant here and I hope to hear back from people soon, take care, Ryan

Welcome,

take your time to read every threads, and everyones posts. Certainly, lots of us, people and diversity. :)

Hello, nice to see more guys here!! I hope you get hang of ASL. It's such a beautiful language!!!

welcome to alldeaf

around you reading to people

14 year old ASL student

Hi everyone, I am a 14 year old homeschooled student taking ASL. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with my signing. I'm not very good and don't know a lot of signs but I would love to have a conversation with someone to improve my signing. Thanks :)

Hey if you ever just want to practice your ASL I am here trying to do the same. :)

Welcome Ryan to AD. :wave:
I read your situation and hopefully can give you some ideas to keep you from getting left out in the cold. I am retired USN and currently have the same problem hearing others. From the 1970's shipboard gun shoots to working and living on top of machinery through the 1990's, my hearing has slowly diminished when it comes to ambient sounds like groups of people talking or with one person with a lawn mower running nearby. Stay on top of your situation with your audiologist and regular doctors to document all changes in hearing loss. Make sure you get a personal copy of all reports as they happen. The military has a unique way of losing documents. Don't wait for the day of a medical review concerning whether you can stay in or medical discharge or medical retirement to get a copy. If discharge is recommended, a medical board will percent limit how eligible you are. The higher percentage will enable you to receive a larger monthly disability check. Obviously, it will not equal a missing limb. If you disagree with the findings, you may appeal. This can and will carry over to the VA system.

I am not entitled because my hearing reduction came after retirement. I learned ASL via local community college and other classes conducted by deaf teachers. My wife is an interpreter who goes by "Reba" on here. Knowing how to sign can bring you into contact with many more people than you would ever thought possible.

When you get to TX, look for ASL training via state disabilities department or private sources and give the information to the USAF and insist on them to provide training now. Talk to whoever will listen to your plea. Let the government pay for it since it happened on duty. Of course, if you get to stay in, great! :cool2:

Welcome, and thank you for your service to our country. :welcome:

Welcome Ryan to AD. :wave:
I read your situation and hopefully can give you some ideas to keep you from getting left out in the cold. I am retired USN and currently have the same problem hearing others. From the 1970's shipboard gun shoots to working and living on top of machinery through the 1990's, my hearing has slowly diminished when it comes to ambient sounds like groups of people talking or with one person with a lawn mower running nearby. Stay on top of your situation with your audiologist and regular doctors to document all changes in hearing loss. Make sure you get a personal copy of all reports as they happen. The military has a unique way of losing documents. Don't wait for the day of a medical review concerning whether you can stay in or medical discharge or medical retirement to get a copy. If discharge is recommended, a medical board will percent limit how eligible you are. The higher percentage will enable you to receive a larger monthly disability check. Obviously, it will not equal a missing limb. If you disagree with the findings, you may appeal. This can and will carry over to the VA system.

I am not entitled because my hearing reduction came after retirement. I learned ASL via local community college and other classes conducted by deaf teachers. My wife is an interpreter who goes by "Reba" on here. Knowing how to sign can bring you into contact with many more people than you would ever thought possible.

When you get to TX, look for ASL training via state disabilities department or private sources and give the information to the USAF and insist on them to provide training now. Talk to whoever will listen to your plea. Let the government pay for it since it happened on duty. Of course, if you get to stay in, great! :cool2:

Wow, TCS, I had no idea......not sure what to say beyond this.....

Back