Hey, i am back from Bill Rice Ranch!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joekad99

Reaction score
i had fun it week at bill rice ranch but sadly i went home =( but however i will see my firend again at Bill Rice Ranch next year!:cool2:

Cool and next time post pictures here?? ;)

i had fun it week at bill rice ranch but sadly i went home =( but however i will see my firend again at Bill Rice Ranch next year!:cool2:

Glad you had a good time at Bill Rice. Its a great place!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your time at camp. :)

Do you have website for bill rice ranch?? :ty:

I just want know how old kids allow to be there?

Have any one went their Bill Rice Ranch. They are awsone and wonderful with christ for the deaf and you should join in. God has love you forever and every one in love heart share each other
Bless shall heart first hand.

I went to the Bill Rice Ranch in (or near) Murfreesboro, Tennessee - twice as a kid. I've had some memorable times and some strange times.

I've always been impressed with how, faced with a deaf child ("Ronnie" I think his name was), the entire family had picked up sign and had incorporated deafness into its industry.

The horse ride among the Native American graves is still my highlight of memories.

I went to the Bill Rice Ranch in (or near) Murfreesboro, Tennessee - twice as a kid. I've had some memorable times and some strange times.

I've always been impressed with how, faced with a deaf child ("Ronnie" I think his name was), the entire family had picked up sign and had incorporated deafness into its industry.

The horse ride among the Native American graves is still my highlight of memories.

tell me about it?

It's a Christian institution, especially among the deaf, that offers (for two summer weeks if my memory serves) free board. The last time I was there, there was an in-ground swimming pool with an impressively high diving board, a "town" done in Wild West/pioneer style with shops, barracks/dormitories (separating males and females, of course), a huge worship building/auditorium/assembly hall, and a cafeteria. It's all not any different from any other American campground.

Bill Rice had children and all of them, I think, live with their families on the campground in their own houses and such.

There's also an arena/rodeo barn, too. The year that I was there (and I have a picture somewhere in my collection) they'd had a "jump onto the horse without any support or saddle" contest. First, the girls went and, while they were continuing the contest, the horse had developed a major, major erection! After the crowd had noticed and cheered, they'd replace the horse. Second, the guys went and, of course, I looked like I was tackling the horse instead of mounting it.

It's a camp experience sprinkled heavily with Christian teachings that seek to defend the young Christian against "the world."

Or did you want to know about the horse ride?

It's a Christian institution, especially among the deaf, that offers (for two summer weeks if my memory serves) free board. The last time I was there, there was an in-ground swimming pool with an impressively high diving board, a "town" done in Wild West/pioneer style with shops, barracks/dormitories (separating males and females, of course), a huge worship building/auditorium/assembly hall, and a cafeteria. It's all not any different from any other American campground.

Bill Rice had children and all of them, I think, live with their families on the campground in their own houses and such.

There's also an arena/rodeo barn, too. The year that I was there (and I have a picture somewhere in my collection) they'd had a "jump onto the horse without any support or saddle" contest. First, the girls went and, while they were continuing the contest, the horse had developed a major, major erection! After the crowd had noticed and cheered, they'd replace the horse. Second, the guys went and, of course, I looked like I was tackling the horse instead of mounting it.

It's a camp experience sprinkled heavily with Christian teachings that seek to defend the young Christian against "the world."

Or did you want to know about the horse ride?

Off topic....I lived about 15 miles from the Ranch for several years.

Dr. and Mrs. Rice had a daughter born hearing. Her name was Betty. At age 19 months, Betty became very sick. She had meningitis, with a high fever. She survived the sickness but it caused her to become deaf.

Eventually, the Rice family established special camps for deaf children.

Ronnie was born deaf to a young unwed mother. His mother died soon after his birth, and his grandparents didn't want him. He became a ward of the state. When he became old enough to attend school, he went to the state residential school for the deaf. For the first few summers, he went "home" to the hospital. Later, he was sent to various elderly foster people for his summers. He became a troubled, bitter, rebellious teen.

The state was frustrated about Ronnie. So they sent him to the Bill Rice Ranch for the summer. Dr. and Mrs. Rice accepted him like a son. The state allowed them to keep and raise Ronnie as their son.

In 1973, Ronnie graduated fro Tennessee Temple College. He is married and a father now.

Ronnie Rice is now a deaf missionary. I met him once when he preached at a local church. He was a wonderful preacher. :)

Ronnie Rice

Isn't it VERY fundie? It's basicly very almost fundie seperatist......like stereotypical Bible Belt style Christian. Not nessarily, libral Christian.

Dr. and Mrs. Rice had a daughter born hearing. Her name was Betty. At age 19 months, Betty became very sick. She had meningitis, with a high fever. She survived the sickness but it caused her to become deaf.

Eventually, the Rice family established special camps for deaf children.

Ronnie was born deaf to a young unwed mother. His mother died soon after his birth, and his grandparents didn't want him. He became a ward of the state. When he became old enough to attend school, he went to the state residential school for the deaf. For the first few summers, he went "home" to the hospital. Later, he was sent to various elderly foster people for his summers. He became a troubled, bitter, rebellious teen.

The state was frustrated about Ronnie. So they sent him to the Bill Rice Ranch for the summer. Dr. and Mrs. Rice accepted him like a son. The state allowed them to keep and raise Ronnie as their son.

In 1973, Ronnie graduated fro Tennessee Temple College. He is married and a father now.

Ronnie Rice is now a deaf missionary. I met him once when he preached at a local church. He was a wonderful preacher. :)

Ronnie Rice

Isn't it a magical story? You can't go wrong with Ronnie. He's an incredibly humble, blessed, and easy-going guy that you can't help but like him.

Isn't it VERY fundie? It's basicly very almost fundie seperatist......like stereotypical Bible Belt style Christian. Not nessarily, libral Christian.

You're right. It's an either/or world seeking to eradicate humanism. That's the way they like it and they hate it when you don't. The camp was a suffocating kind of fun.

It IS very very very fundie. I went to Bill Rice Ranch when I was 12. They had many strict rules. Like if we want to go swimming, we have to cover ourselves in robes when walking to the pool, and the pool has a wooden fence around it so no one can see in and only one gender can swim in the pool at the same time, females can't share the pool with males at the same time. They take turns using the pool. Females swim for 1 hour, and then leave and it's the males' turn to swim in the pool.

The female and the male dormitories are seperated. All females are required to wear dresses or split skirts only, and males are required to wear pants (not shorts). Everyone has to go to church 3 times a day, everyday. And a lot of other stuff.

They try to make you go their way. There's only one way, and it's theirs. If you want to go a different way, they frown upon that, and will kick you out. They are incredibly strict about EVERYTHING.

They are VERY fundie Baptists. (I got kicked out of the Baptist church a long time ago for going to a dyke bar.) I was raised Lutheran, but my parents sent me to a Baptist church only because they had a deaf fellowship.

DOWN WITH BILL RICE RANCH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back