Helping deaf student

jhintak

Reaction score
Okay so I have posted about a student I tutor previously. But his parents are asking me to help him out. He still has a hard time accepting the fact that he is deaf. He is in constant denial and constantly wishes he was hearing. He has a very stubborn attitude that prevents him from studying or doing anything else.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to help him psychologically?

He will be seeing a counselor later this year but in the meantime and while he's seeing one I want to be able to be helping him out...

How old is he? How old was he when he became deaf? What were the circumstances? What language does he use?

How old are you? Has the family specifically requested you to "help" him beyond tutoring? Are you sure your "help" will be welcome?

Okay so I have posted about a student I tutor previously. But his parents are asking me to help him out. He still has a hard time accepting the fact that he is deaf. He is in constant denial and constantly wishes he was hearing. He has a very stubborn attitude that prevents him from studying or doing anything else.

He will be seeing a counselor later this year but in the meantime and while he's seeing one I want to be able to be helping him out...

welcome back. i was wondering where have you been.

You should leave the topic of adjustment to disability to the professional he will be saying later this year. Without the proper training, you are likely to do more harm than good, even though you are well intentioned. These issues need to be addressed a specific way and you no doubt are not able to even detect some of the finer points that need to be addressed.

he's had a few teachers before me, and no one is willing to deal with him because of his attitude towards his studies. Had he not have his parents he'd be living in the streets. He has no skill in anything, no desire to work, and no education in language. You tell me how he'll make a living.
So he's a minimal language skills young adult? I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't services for MLS adults out there.
You might want to suggest his parents look into this program: American School of the Deaf: Adult Vocational Services

You should leave the topic of adjustment to disability to the professional he will be seeing later this year. Without the proper training, you are likely to do more harm than good, even though you are well intentioned. These issues need to be addressed a specific way and you no doubt are not able to even detect some of the finer points that need to be addressed.

I agree - unless one is trained in the mental health field this is NOT something that should be undertaken by a "tutor", teacher, friend etc (for many reasons, including legal).

This person needs to be seen by a professional able to help with many issues ... and have a CID present for ALL meetings/communication as well as start access for him (and any willing family) to start ASL classes privately and tailored to his needs.

I agree - unless one is trained in the mental health field this is NOT something that should be undertaken by a "tutor", teacher, friend etc (for many reasons, including legal).

This person needs to be seen by a professional able to help with many issues ... and have a CID present for ALL meetings/communication as well as start access for him (and any willing family) to start ASL classes privately and tailored to his needs.

Agreed on the CID. I am fluent in sign, yet have found it necessary to have a CID present with 2 adult clients I worked with.

What's a CID? Also this article might be of interest: Hands & Voices :: Articles

Certified Interpreter for the Deaf. They specialize in interpreting home signs, etc. from a strict cultural perpsective in the case of someone who has never been given the opportunity to learn ASL properly and cannot speak. Very specialized field. The one I work with is deaf of deaf.

I know only of CDI's (Certified Deaf Interpreters).

I know only of CDI's (Certified Deaf Interpreters).

Perhaps different areas phrase it differently. When I call to request one, I request a CID, and have yet to have my request confused.

At least one other poster uses the same terminology as I.

Perhaps different areas phrase it differently. When I call to request one, I request a CID, and have yet to have my request confused.

At least one other poster uses the same terminology as I.
Interesting. The RID national certification (also recognized by NAD) is called CDI. Maybe they are certified by some local or state agency other than RID. :dunno:

Interesting. The RID national certification (also recognized by NAD) is called CDI. Maybe they are certified by some local or state agency other than RID. :dunno:

Maybe it is a state certification. To be honest, I've never checked that. I know that the agency we use does not hire terps of any kind that are not certified, but don't know that they specifically ask for national certification. Would be hard to find a CID or CDI if they were all forced to have national certification. There are only a handful as it is. At least in my area.

Tell his parents he needs to meet with counselor sooner to best help him. Leave the psychological stuff to the professional. The best way YOU can help other than by encouraging his parents to seek out professionals is to just hang out with the kid and be a friend.

Maybe it is a state certification. To be honest, I've never checked that. I know that the agency we use does not hire terps of any kind that are not certified, but don't know that they specifically ask for national certification. Would be hard to find a CID or CDI if they were all forced to have national certification. There are only a handful as it is. At least in my area.

Four in Houston
Seventeen in the state of Texas

Tell his parents he needs to meet with counselor sooner to best help him. Leave the psychological stuff to the professional. The best way YOU can help other than by encouraging his parents to seek out professionals is to just hang out with the kid and be a friend.

Excellent advise.

Back