Help with PAPER please : AGAINST COCHLEAR IMPLANTS

Really? Thanks rivenoak- do other UKers say it the same way? I didn't know it was pronounced that way.

Oh yes RR, a herring aid :p it amused me.

I've thought about it occasionally and not sure what I'd do if I lost hearing to the extent that I'd be eligible for a CI. Unless it was very sudden, I'd probably still use hearing aids until it got the point of being eligible. I wonder if my friends and family would want me to get a CI- to me it's an extension of wearing hearing aids should I ever be eligible.

Itis an outpatient, two hour surgery, that is not major.

There are minimal incisions that are completely behind the ear, no shaving of hair and the scar is less than 2 inches.

Sensitive how?

less than 2 inches? I'd like to see that. Mine went from above my ear down to the ear and all the way back and around the ear. 15 staples. I've got a pic of it after the surgery if no one would ummm get sick lol. And they shaved a bit of hair off the side of my head too.

mine too. I think it depend on the age and the doctor.

minimal_incision.jpg
Incision cut behind ear. Healed scar approximately 2 inches long.

That is really small. Interesting. I'll find a couple of mine after it was done and after the staples were taken out and put up after I crop my face out of them lol

) Teen or Adult acquired deafness (which can be VERY traumatic for many people ... and CI is a very good and realistic option for them!!)

4) profound hearing loss coupled with unusually intense tinnitus which may really impact their daily life, make it hard to sleep, induce migraines etc (in some cases tinnitus may be helped or resolved by CI surgery)

The days of radicalism are over -
Anji good points! In addition to number four, severe recruitment can be an issue with hearing aids.
Also, in the case of auditory nereopathy, hearing aids don't help.
They are also really good in the case of someone maxing out their aids.
Maybe write a paper based on "Deaf people aren't generally against CIs any moe"
It used to be a BIG issue....but it's not any more.

LMAO at ear plants! I don't have an ear plant, I use a herring aid ;-) I've been saying it wrong then- I say cock-lear, how are you supposed to say it? Cotch-lear? Cosh-lear? I like the way the OP hasn't done any research and wants us to tell him/her all about ear plants...

Think Coke...leer and you will be very close to the correct pronunciation.

I still prounounce it.. I think it has a hillbilly twang mixed with deaf accent to it because of my culture.

This was taken the day after surgery. Barely 24 hours after surgery just after i got home.
021009_1046.jpg

This is 12 days after surgery and after the staples were removed.
022109_1830.jpg

That's pretty big stitch, no wonder FF mentioned scar

And you were implanted 2009?

I'll have to post mine.

what type of hearing loss did you have?

I'm keeping this picture up temporary... I had my implant since 2003

I had to use a pencil to fold my ears back or you wouldn't be able to see it.

one thing about my scar is that I still break into this little tiny blisters now and then and I don't know why.

Yes. February 2009. And not 100% sure about where my loss came from but its almost certain it came from scarlett fever when i was knee high to a grasshopper. My CI works well for me. Before the surgery with hearing aids in both ears i made out around 15% of the test words/sentences but after the surgery with just the CI in the left ear and NO hearing aid in the right i scored 95% in those tests at my latest appt with my audiologist. Of course that was in the sound proof booth with no background noise at all but its still a excellent improvement over before. And i picked up sounds at between 5 to 15 decibles with the CI alone too which i was told is really good and id topped out with the CI already unless we changed the programs or sensitivity. Dont have to go back for mapping for a year.

Your incision healed well. I still have a ridge on mine but that may go away over time too. Could the blisters be from rubbing your ear to the scar or processor against it? Only thing I get is where the ear hook goes over my ear it will get red and touchy sometimes.

I've had to write a paper on something I didn't believe in before for a "controversial" paper assignment, so it does not necessarily mean the OP believes that CIs are bad. Regardless, I think this is a topic that could easily be answered through the search button. It's a magical thing, that search button!

HUH??? REALLY? Are you sure about that? Can you show any proof of that claim? I don't think I believe you but I have an open mind. Show me proof if you don't mind

Just recently had surgury on June 11th. Was out by noon June 12.

Mine was a little different. They did mine in two stages. First one to close off all access to the inner ear, from the sinus and throat and any other tube that is connected.

Then the actual implantation in the second stage.

both were one night stays.

My daughter's incision fell somewhere between the two photos. Her doctor is old fashioned, so the incision is bigger, but not even close to ncff07's! No staples or even removable stiches. He likes a larger "workspace" and that is fine by me because his complication rate is very low. As for length of surgery-stay, Miss Kat entered the hospital at 530 am, surgery was at 8, she was out of surgery by 11 and in the car by 1.

Back