Help please!

Rock2HAL

Reaction score
Hi. I am hearing and have downloaded a few softwares in my pc. And none of them are working correctly. Then one of my deaf friends said I need to put in the IP address of my dsl modem number. However, none of the applications let you do it manually and my computer IP address I think is automatically being put in on all of the softwares. Anyone know how to put in an IP address manually. On the Sorenson EnVision, she can see me very clearly and speed is good. However, on my end, the video is black and also she can't call me. So she called Sorenson tech support and they told her that I need to put my IP address of my router or modem of my DSL. Please help me. Thanks.
Heidi

It is a Westell (for Verizon DSL) and the model number of the Westell is 6100. The Sorenson EnVision SL software detects it automatically from my pc and it won't let me change it. Even in the Help section of the software it says it is a read only and can't be changed. Grrrr. LOL! The other two softwares I tried was from HOVRS.com and ViableNet.com and none of them are working. So I'm guessing that those softwares automatically detect too and I don't even see where to change the IP addresses on those softwares either. In fact, the ViableNet software won't even start on mine and the workers of that company couldn't help me either. Thanks for your reply.
Heidi :)

Hi. I have my IP address. The problem is that the softwares won't let me manually change it from my pc IP address to the IP address of the router. I am using a pc and my webcam to try to talk to her. She can see me clearly and speed is really good but I can't see her at all. The video is black on my end. So she called Sorenson and they told her I have to put my router IP address in but the software on my pc won't let me manually put it in. Even in the help section it says the IP address is read only and the software automatically detects the IP address which is my computer IP address. Thanks for trying but I guess the only thing that'll help is if someone can video with me (even though I can't see them) and somehow they can manually change that IP address to the router address. Grrr! Boy she was so happy that she can see me too. I hope I can get this resolved/fixed somehow. Wish VPs were cheap and good to use. The ones I've seen online are expensive. Geesh. Oh well. Thanks again.
Heidi
p.s. I even know my hostname on my router too but won't do any good if I can't manually change my IP address on the software. grrrr. lol (well it isn't funny but you know gotta laugh at some point right?)

Are you trying to call your friend via the software? If so, the best thing to use Viable Vision, you ONLY need to type your friend's IP address on the white box, on the left top corner which the call will be connected for you. But your friend CAN NOT call you from the VP to your VV on the computer.

There is nothing related to your IP address, but if your friend sees you clearly on any software, but yours ain't - it might have affected since your internet speed. Your friend's internet speed has a good upload speed to see you in a crystal clear manner.

I know that DSL always change IP address number in few days. Cable modem never change IP address number. You may join no-ip.com to add yourname.no-ip.info or .biz into your router for free.

No-IP™ Free - Free Dynamic DNS - DDNS

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for your help but Viable Vision doesn't even start up on my pc. I even got someone from the company on AIM to try to resolve this and they couldn't. So I uninstalled it from my pc. And HOVRS, kept freezing on my end and I couldn't see her but she could see me. So Sorenson all I see is black screen. I'm not understanding what you mean by the IP address to my router. Do you mean you can download a permanent IP address into a Westell router or modem for Verizon DSL users? Hmmmm...that's interesting but it still wouldn't solve the problem that I cannot put the router IP address manually in any of the software as it does it automatically. Don't I have to do that? When Sorenson told my friend that, I thought maybe that's why I wasn't getting anything on my end. Went to speedtest.net and tested my speed there...My download speed is 783 kb/s and my upload speed is 133 kb/s. Is there anyway to increase the upload speed on my pc using a free software for Vista computers? Thanks again for everyone's help. :)
Heidi

Your upload speed is 133 kb/s. Not good. You unplug all of dsl modem and router. wait in few moments. Plug all of them. You check speedtest again. if your upload speed still be low, you contact your Verizon support to solve problem.

Depends on the internet plan, you need more than 256 kps upload to make it work, is this correct, dbarovian?

Update!

Well I looked on my online account on Verizon.net and I am eligible for an upgrade and the download speed of that plan is "Up to 1.5 Mbps" and the upload speed of that plan is "384 kbps." So how good is those speeds? Do you think it will work after I upgrade. The plan is $10 more than our current plan and I don't want to do it if it isn't good enough to help me out here. LOL! Thanks for your help everyone! :)
Heidi

Well I looked on my online account on Verizon.net and I am eligible for an upgrade and the download speed of that plan is "Up to 1.5 Mbps" and the upload speed of that plan is "384 kbps." So how good is those speeds? Do you think it will work after I upgrade. The plan is $10 more than our current plan and I don't want to do it if it isn't good enough to help me out here. LOL! Thanks for your help everyone! :)
Heidi

I read info on Verizon.net service plans and speeds. The Starter is Up to 768 Kbps/128 Kbps. That s not enough upload speed for video conference as VP. I worked for Sorenson installer in three years and I always
checked how much speeds in speedtest.net. So I was no longer worked with Sorensen last year. Then I have to work with HOVRS now. I will be busy to install new MVP this fall. If you may interest new MVP, You contact me at my private message.

Yes I know about the starter plan as I have that now. :) If I get the one that is $10 more the download speed is "Up to 1.5 Mbps" and the upload speed of that plan is "384 kbps." I don't know if there is a higher speed or not. Thanks so much for your help and I did pm you. :)
Heidi

Just remember, your PM is disabled until you reach 100 posts, Heidi. Unless you have already emailed him instead :)

Well I posted a message to him on here and have talked to him. Thank you for the info though. I didn't know I had to wait to reach 100 posts. Wonder if I'll ever get to that many posts? Hehe. I'm not much of a talker usually even if it doesn't look like that on here. lol! :D

Well in that case, maybe JClarke will donate 80% of his post numbers to you. ;)

Just wondering if the modem you are currently using is a wireless modem?

Brian! No way! I cherish every post I have! :P

Hehe! That's ok. I'll try to reach that many posts but that's highly unlikely of me to do that. lol!

Anyway, no it isn't wireless. :)

Back