Help me understand why...

G

Gemtun

....most deaf people will not give up their SSDI and work full time? It seems like SSDI is their security blanket.

Without revealing too much to avoid breaking confidentiality, I deal with this issue on a daily basis and cannot understand why many are hesitant to be given more hours and work hard so that they can get promoted or a raise. They only would say "I cannot work this X amount of hours or earn more than X amount of money each month".

What happened to pride and sense of accomplishment? Why aren't the government looking into these people and see that they are capable of working full time and establishing careers, rather than keeping SSDI and work part time?

I am unable to understand why they choose to do this? I see so many bright and intelligent deaf folks but with low motivation. If only they could work full time and realize they would gain so much not only in job experience, but also pride, respect and dignity.

Please don't slam me.. I am only referring to THOSE who work part time and are being given chances yet they turn them down in order to keep SSDI.

I totally Understand and Agree with you, Meg. be Honest I do not know what their Life situation is and why they cannot work. I think some people have good reasons why they are on Government Asst. And on the Rest that doesn't need to be on it what their excuse?

I understand what you're talking about. I am getting SSDI, but it's only to help me get by in school. When I get co-op, I will be cancelling SSDI because I won't be in school any more and won't have any other financial aid to get me by.

well i see what you mean some of them wants to keep ssdi because you never know what life is later on what if they lost theirs job in some reason and you can't tell what will happen later. some of them are on because they are still looking for a job or some of them have kids it many reason why you don't know what theirs life is

I am not referring to students like Vam ..I know many who are on SSDI and go to school.

I am referring to adults who just choose not to go to school or whatnot, they just want a easy way to work ..not having to work full time and keep benefits.

Why is that some deaf are taking advantage of SSDI if they want to stay home part time with kids and work part time? I don't see hearing people doing that. They have no choice but to make sacrifices.

I see a lot of grown up adults who just want to party hard or not miss any social events and keep SSDI/work part time.

Like I said, I am not here to judge anyone ..I'm simply trying to understand why many choose not to work full time and complain that they are being oppressed by hearing folks. I give them PLENTY of opportunities and they deny them saying that they dont like full time jobs - want it easy.

RosesNY said:
well i see what you mean some of them wants to keep ssdi because you never know what life is later on what if they lost theirs job in some reason and you can't tell what will happen later.

Everything is a risk. So you think I should quit my job and go on SSDI because I may lose my job anytime too?

Heck no, I will rather take a gamble and keep my dignity/pride and know that I did everything, if I do lose my job or not. I know I am climbing on the career ladder and there is always a set back.

Oh, boy. Could you pass on the opportunities to me??

I'm on SSDI, and I really despite it. Sure, it's helpful.. but I'm so ready to get off of it. I am seeking a full-time job, and have been doing so for the last year. It's frustrating. I can't even afford to move out of my parents' house yet.

I don't understand why some Deaf people choose to stay on SSDI for the rest of their lives. It's not even easy staying on it either. I think part of the low-motivation is that they're afraid that after one month or so on the job, they'll lose the job and the progress of getting SSDI/SSI back may take a while, you know how some Deafies are... (not all, mind me) they want things in a hurry/are impatient when it comes to getting services and income they need.

I haven't really given a fully valid explanation, and really, I don't understand why some choose to stay on SSI/SSDI either. It's a question that some ask themselves.

Meg said:
I am not referring to students like Vam ..I know many who are on SSDI and go to school.

I am referring to adults who just choose not to go to school or whatnot, they just want a easy way to work ..not having to work full time and keep benefits.

Why is that some deaf are taking advantage of SSDI if they want to stay home part time with kids and work part time? I don't see hearing people doing that. They have no choice but to make sacrifices.

I see a lot of grown up adults who just want to party hard or not miss any social events and keep SSDI/work part time.

Like I said, I am not here to judge anyone ..I'm simply trying to understand why many choose not to work full time and complain that they are being oppressed by hearing folks. I give them PLENTY of opportunities and they deny them saying that they dont like full time jobs - want it easy.
I just let you know not only deaf poeple on the SSDI some hearing preople are on SSDI too not only deaf people , I know some of hearing people have SSDI for some reason i think deaf and hearing people are the same but they have some reason why they are on SSDI

Glad that someone brought it up these issues .... I have been so furious with everybody else who is on ssi/ssdi .. I have been give them the lectures to get a job or go college to get what they want ... they keep say nah ... i rather to use govn money to have fun than work work work and less travel vacation etc ... even i have to admit what i have notice about 1/3 of overall isn't on drugs or drinking .... and 3/4 is on drugs and drinking ... it make me sick to see them ... I have warn them what if SS start cut down their check downsizing amount and boot them out of systems what will they gonna do ??? and know what they say ???? it make me sooo piss off more .. they say that they are going to start sell the "ABC " cards it make me soo piss off and don't like it at all.... i told them it gonna to be harder to do that because more peoples start sell like that then hard to earn and won't meet the roof to be under to pay the rent ... they said soooo can get more roommates to share in the rent houses .... i told them no no there is some places wouldn't allow like that ... they think the life is so simple and nothing... i give up and let them go and somewhat feel sorry about their futures ... but can't help them anymore ...

knightwolf68 said:
Glad that someone brought it up these issues .... I have been so furious with everybody else who is on ssi/ssdi .. I have been give them the lectures to get a job or go college to get what they want ... they keep say nah ... i rather to use govn money to have fun than work work work and less travel vacation etc ... even i have to admit what i have notice about 1/3 of overall isn't on drugs or drinking .... and 3/4 is on drugs and drinking ... it make me sick to see them ... I have warn them what if SS start cut down their check downsizing amount and boot them out of systems what will they gonna do ??? and know what they say ???? it make me sooo piss off more .. they say that they are going to start sell the "ABC " cards it make me soo piss off and don't like it at all.... i told them it gonna to be harder to do that because more peoples start sell like that then hard to earn and won't meet the roof to be under to pay the rent ... they said soooo can get more roommates to share in the rent houses .... i told them no no there is some places wouldn't allow like that ... they think the life is so simple and nothing... i give up and let them go and somewhat feel sorry about their futures ... but can't help them anymore ...
WOw, i did not know that they would sell it but I don't see any ACB cards in the store ?? I know some people in my home town knock on the door ask for money i was so shock they would do that I won't dare to do that it so dumb to do that

Meg said:

Everything is a risk. So you think I should quit my job and go on SSDI because I may lose my job anytime too?

Heck no, I will rather take a gamble and keep my dignity/pride and know that I did everything, if I do lose my job or not. I know I am climbing on the career ladder and there is always a set back.[/Q

Yeah i can see that well life is not like bed of roses

Most of you guys are saying that they are mad because alot of peeps are on SSDI or SSI, and they don't work.. Well I agree with you..
I'm on SSI, but I am also working about 30 hours a week.. While I was at school, during the school years, I work maybe less than 20 hours.. I couldn't afford to pay my bills, thats why I am on SSI, but when I get enough hours, and enough money to pay things, I am going to get off of SSI..
I totally agree that people get SSI, and dont work. My bestfriend, she's on SSI, and she gets about 365, and she spends 3/4 of that money on stuff, like DVD'S, shoes, music, clothes, etc.. I gave her a huge speech about that, I don't think she gets what I mean.. She was suppose to get a job for the summer, but she kept delaying about it.. Grrr.. Then I talked to her EX about it, and he said he agrees, and he's lookin for a job. My retared/idiot friend is not on SSDI OR SSI (But tryin to apply), and he get a job then 2 or 3 months later he quits. Dumb.. He's always broke, he askes people, friends for money, me included.. I told him I am not a money bank!!! I am responsable and know what I am doin with my money.. Retard! :crazy:

It's not that easy to get a full time job i know one who got laid off and had to recieve ssdi while looking for a full time job for his job position and it was pretty hard on him cuz he went to many interviews and applied everywhere he could that was available. He worked part time under the table too because ssdi wasn't enough for the bills. Not everyone is trying to have a easy way to work, some have to recieve ssdi so they can pay bills with their work pay of part time job. SSDI is never enough for bills & food alone.

I have been on SSDI since February 2002 after I gave up searching for part time job in San Francisco as I realized the economy in CA is very sagging. When I get a job offer somewhere in East Coast (I do miss east coast and can't wait to get out of LV for good), then I will call SSDI to give me 9-month trial, so eventually, I will stop getting SSDI. I do want to work and pay off my own debts without depending on my dad for financial support. I do want to get survive on my own and climb up on career ladder.

It is not easy hunting for jobs anywhere in US. :(

Meg said:
....most deaf people will not give up their SSDI and work full time? It seems like SSDI is their security blanket.

Without revealing too much to avoid breaking confidentiality, I deal with this issue on a daily basis and cannot understand why many are hesitant to be given more hours and work hard so that they can get promoted or a raise. They only would say "I cannot work this X amount of hours or earn more than X amount of money each month".

What happened to pride and sense of accomplishment? Why aren't the government looking into these people and see that they are capable of working full time and establishing careers, rather than keeping SSDI and work part time?

I am unable to understand why they choose to do this? I see so many bright and intelligent deaf folks but with low motivation. If only they could work full time and realize they would gain so much not only in job experience, but also pride, respect and dignity.

Please don't slam me.. I am only referring to THOSE who work part time and are being given chances yet they turn them down in order to keep SSDI.

Well, Meg.

I am not deaf. However, I am physically disabled, an I'm on SSI. The reason for what you are seeing COULD be that a lot of the time, Medicaid is tied in with SSI, and many people like me can't afford to lose SSI, or they will also lose their Medicaid. Therefore, they are forced to make a choice. I can tell you that if I could work, I would. Just something to think about .... And, I am not making excuses for those who simply are lazy. I just am trying to give another point of view to this.

I do not mind anyone who are on ssdi or ssi if they are in school, lost job, on hunting jobs or any health problems.

For anyone who are students who are in school, they need to be careful how much do they earn or they will be overpaid. I am sure most of students already know about it if they talk with someone else or talked with representatives. Same thing for anyone who works while receving ssdi and ssi and they better report to SSA or will get overpaid once they receive a letter owing SSA and expect to pay back. That one is the biggest pain in the butt.

I agree that I don't like the idea of seeing DEAF people who are in good healths and are on SSDI or SSI for the rest of their lives. I don't know how can they stand that way their lives are.

I used to receive SSI when i was in college. It helped a lot but i did work in school too. Needless to say, i got overpaid and paid off that one. I knew that I would get overpaid. Eh, it wasn't fun though.

Oceanbreeze said:
Well, Meg.

I am not deaf. However, I am physically disabled, an I'm on SSI. The reason for what you are seeing COULD be that a lot of the time, Medicaid is tied in with SSI, and many people like me can't afford to lose SSI, or they will also lose their Medicaid. Therefore, they are forced to make a choice. I can tell you that if I could work, I would. Just something to think about .... And, I am not making excuses for those who simply are lazy. I just am trying to give another point of view to this.

Oh yes thats true!! I have seen a lot of people who are disabled who really need medicaid so badly, mostly for very ill people. Its so tough..

I lost a good paid job but Overtime was terrible, killing me big time.. actually I got injuried (neck/upper back injuried)
then I found out I was pregnant with my baby Everett.. then few months later I found out my older son Sean has Brain tumor, I was thankful that I am on SSDI for now.. I would NOT plan go back to work Until my son's treatment is all finish because everytime they forgot to tell me, or they tell me, Oh you need to get this done, or that or this or that.. you can't figure out when you are free to work! so I have decide to wait until Next year, I want to start college again but Im afraid I may have to wait about a year.. to make sure my son is all finish with his treatment, and is no longer to go back and forth.. I want him to have his mom taking care of him first! of course my baby too! I mean all of my three kids too! :)

Wendy *who look forward to go back to work but can't till she is done with her errands/medical purposes*

I dont really need SSDI since I think it's just better if it's for handicapped people who can't walk or use their hands for lifting things or writing or whatever...etc you know, the basics but sure, deafies can't hear, but we can still work, right? walk around giving orders and recieving orders, clean up stuff, write, type, drive, etc...anything that we can do as hearies do expect talk on phones lol so I don't really think SSDI is too important for the deafies so that's my 2 cents ladies n' gentlemen

Back