help me please!

cellogurly

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

I'm a hearing up coming senior in Ohio and Im really struggling with the best college to go to... I think I want to be an interpreter but at the same time I feel like that's not as much for me... Do you think I should get certified as an interpreter anyway and then figure it out after that? Or spend more time looking into other deaf-related careers?

Last edited:
do you search find on google :college I think so might to somebody know help you :D

Wirelessly posted

I'm a hearing up coming senior in Ohio and Im really struggling with the best college to go to... I think I want to be an interpreter but at the same time I feel like that's not as much for me... Do you think I should get certified as an interpreter anyway and then figure it out after that? Or spend more time looking into other deaf-related careers?

They say the average college student changes their major on average, 3 times. Enjoy your senior year, apply to a few good schools and see where things go. Maybe you can take some different classes (whether it be related to Deaf Education, interpreting, whatever) and see where things take you. It's good to look to the future, but don't expect to know what you're going to do for the rest of your life. That all takes time.

If you are not 100% sure you want to be an interpreter and you haven't mentioned whether you have signing skills already, maybe you could just go to a community college and take electives before you finally decide on a major. You can transfer your electives credits to the university so you really have two years or so to work on the major degree.

As for college searching, you can go to College Board and click on the College Search tab at the top of the page. There are 124 colleges/universities that offer an associate or bachelor's degree in sign language interpretation, and 30 of these do offer bachelor's. You can narrow the list by picking price range, location, type of school, etc.

Wirelessly posted

My signing skills are remedial to fair but that's because I just moved to an area where it was made available to me and have a year of class so far, I think I would be a good interpreter and I would enjoy it I just am not sure if it is what I want to do... Deaf ed is another option that I'm considering but i don't know that I could specialize in any one subject. Your information is very valuable tho so thank you very much all :)

Wirelessly posted

My signing skills are remedial to fair but that's because I just moved to an area where it was made available to me and have a year of class so far, I think I would be a good interpreter and I would enjoy it I just am not sure if it is what I want to do... Deaf ed is another option that I'm considering but i don't know that I could specialize in any one subject. Your information is very valuable tho so thank you very much all :)

sure I wonder I am curious where you area ohina? something ?

I am guess I think so you would be skills on best :D

ANother place to look into as far as classes for ASL is at churches my mom goes to a signing class through a church for free and the girls in the class alot of them are learning to become an interpretor (this idea works if your not in a hurry) another thing is a community college to make it go fast but deaf education is always in dire need

i still have another year of high school so i can make decisions and take another year of classes still, i am only trying to prepare myself to be the best i can be at whatever i do. another question, my dream job would be to work with people who become deaf or Deaf or HoH later in life and teach them sign. im not really sure that there is an exact profession for that though and if it is, is it looked down upon to have a hearing person teaching a Deaf person to sign?

I know in my experience I am hoh and do not know sign yet. Im learning because of my children but I do know that some teachers in my daughter's old school are hearing and know sign but alot of teacher are deaf and teach students. I wouldnt say its looked down upon but Im new to the deaf community myself. What made you interested in learning about the deaf culture? And wanting to teach them? Its good that you want to get your life in order when I was in school I didnt think about college I actually didnt attend until Feb this year I am on online college for my BA in Medical Administrations I work in nursing homes and accidently ran into my job and it made me want to be an administrator for a nursing home.

i got interested really young at my preschool learning a few basic signs but left it for a LONG time,i just moved and my new school offers it as a class, i took it last year and i love it! i want to teach the Deaf because i cant imagine what it would be like not being able to communicate when you wanted to. the only thing Deaf people cant do is hear. language can help achieve your dreams and i only want to help people :)

Back