Help! Interpreting English sentence into ASL

sdipp

Reaction score
Hello! I work for a local human service company that serves MR adults. We have many Deaf individuals and I am trying to make a sign version of the monthly Human Rights that we teach. I'm not sure what is the best way to break these english sentences down. Can anybody help? I have a bunch...e-mail me if interested sdionne@ippi.org

Ex for June: "You have the right to take vacations that reflect your interests and desires"

Thanks!

I'm confused. Are you putting it in writing, or are you signing it? If its in wring, keep the English word order.

No, I'll be signing also I'll be photocopying pictures of the signs and passing them out. Most staff know some basic signs but could never sign these Human rights. I need to make an aid to help them.

I'm confused. Are you putting it in writing, or are you signing it? If its in wring, keep the English word order.

Right..if it is going to be in print, keep it in the English order. No need to make people more confused. ASL is an in-the-air language...

Sorry if this is coming across as confusing!
Basically I have a list of 12 Human Rights. I'm looking to find out how to sign them.

This is the way I would do it: Have right, vacation. do activity enjoy, interest you.

Make sure to use the correct concept in choosing your signs. For instance, do not use the sign for right(correct), but the sign for right ( as in civil right).

Hope that helps. We have a couple of professional interpreters that may do it a bit differently.

Sorry if this is coming across as confusing!
Basically I have a list of 12 Human Rights. I'm looking to find out how to sign them.

OOOH got it! :)

"U have the right to take vacations that reflect your interests and desires."

Assuming u have a large ASL vocabulary, this is how I would sign it..

"U go vacations u like or interest? U have rights go"

"U have rights go different (3 times) vacations."

It is hard to consicously sign a sentence into ASL grammar..so hope this is right..

This sounds like kind of an important document you're having translated. I might consider hiring an interpreter either to do the presentation, or even better, to videotape him or her so that deaf employees can see this at their leisure. To justify the cost, the interpreter could also translate any other documents you'd like the deaf people to be able to see in ASL.

Just a thought.

Hello! I work for a local human service company that serves MR adults. We have many Deaf individuals and I am trying to make a sign version of the monthly Human Rights that we teach.
Is this sentence being used as a "topic" sentence for a class or some kind of live presentation? How are these sentences presented to the non-Deaf individuals; in a meeting or classroom setting?

I'm with Interpretrator on the idea that it might be better to have an interpreter make the entire presentation. If some kind of "permanent" documents need to be included, either printed handouts in conjunction with the interpreted session, or a DVD take-home handout could be useful.

I'm not sure what is the best way to break these english sentences down. Can anybody help? I have a bunch...
I really think using a terp is the best way to go. That way, if the Deaf consumers have questions, they can get answers.

Just a thought. If these consumers were hearing but spoke another language, how would your company handle the situation?

Every month our staff go over the 'Right of the month' with our individuals both in the day program and also at the group home where they live. Our individuals are mentally retarded adults, some are blind, Deaf or Deafblind and range in cognitive ability. With the higher functioning individuals this is easier to go over, certain activities are done to help them understand their rights. Many of the individuals are deaf. Unfortunatly most staff know basic sign and I believe attempt to sign these rights in english order.
Many of them use an augmented system of picture books or object cards. ASL is not really used here, nor is really signed english. It's hard to explain.
I need to make pictures to help simplify the rights also I need to attach signs to help the staff teach these.
June is the right to vacation, fairly simple. July is having the right to understand the protections offered by the ADA. They go on and I'm not sure where to begin!
An interpreter would be great atleast to help me know how to sign these english sentences.
I appreciate the help!

Many of them use an augmented system of picture books or object cards. ASL is not really used here, nor is really signed english. It's hard to explain.

Ah, so you're talking about people with minimal language skills. I see what you mean, and understand that an interpreter signing ASL might not be useful for you, but you may still wish to work with an interpreter who has experience with minimal-language adults. Have you tried calling a local interpreting agency and explaining your situation? Or perhaps if there's a deaf school in your area?

Ditto with Interpretrator.

I'm not familiar with the rest of New England's schools for the Deaf, but ASD in Hartford might know where you can find a terp experienced with MLS consumers.

Interactive role-playing might help, too.

Back