HELP! help! help! I don´t want to lose

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
my beloved palm... :(

Look this, that soon to be 20 years old palm hit on the ceiling of our office room real soon... :( We really don´t know what we do with that palm when it carry on grow bigger and bigger. I asked gardener for the advice how to cut them off without kill them.

They explain that the palm have to threw away if the baby root comes... but it never comes... :( I went back to gardener again for the advice. He said simple that we have to threw palm away if palm hit on the ceiling.

Some said that I can cut palm off without kill them... My hubby and I are doubt either we can cut the palm off or not...

That´s palm, we bought few days after married and move to Germany in September 1985.

I would be appreicate for your feedback how to save that palm...

wow.. u r a super greenthumb ! :) bring it to beach and plant it on sand so it ll wont be killed. i dont know what else to do... :(

Lieb,

Why don't you break the ceiling hole and let's your plant can through into the ceiling...
Safe mode? (chuckles)

Er um.. I don't know what else can I help.. (hmmmm) if your home has highest ceiling.. would be great suitable for your plant can grow more taller..

Are you sure that is palm? It looks like yucca to me.
If it is yucca, then you can cut it down. You can cut the branches into like 10 cm pieces and put in pots to grow more yuccas. As your gardener if it is yucca.

Also yuccas are supposed to be cold-hardy and can be grown outside. You can try and experiment by putting some stem cuttings in ground outside.

Propagate by Cuttings:

Most Yucca species can be propagated by cuttings, the acaulescent species by rhizomes and the arborescent species by cutting a branch of the plant.
From rhizomes:

I make cuttings in late spring so the plants can get good roots before the winter. I dig down beside the plant and cut of the rhizome with my grafting knife or my pruning shears. Let the cutting dry for a few days, then plant it in a well drained slightly moist soil and is not watered the first days. if it's a cutting with out leaves the rhizome is planted horizontally, just below the surface.

From stem:
The easiest species are Yucca elephantipes, Yucca aloifolia, Yucca gloriosa and Yucca recurvifolia, I have read that they may be a little faster to get roots if the cut is treated with rooting hormone, but I haven't tried this my self. The cutting must dry a few days, then plant it in a well drained slightly moist soil.

Sometimes you will need a lot of patience, before the cuttings respond. So if seeds is available it's often faster by seeds.

I know pretty good amount of plants....That is not a yucca or a palm, it looks more like some kind of house plant. I'm not sure what it is, though. The only best thing is to restrict its growth by NOT repotting to a new pot, there should be a way to stunt its growth without getting too tall. The japanese people stunt their plant growth by putting it in real small fancy pots with rocks and trimming it time to time, they call it bonsai. I'm not sure if it's going to hurt that plant if u cut it. it looks like a woody house plant, if u cut it it can have new growth on the cut woody stem, some don't some do.

Throw some magic beans in there and watch it grow 40 miles into the sky and youll see a jolly green giant

Yucca? :dunno:

We (Germans) call that palm "Palmlilie". I went to google to find out either it´s really Yucca or not. I´m surprised that it´s Yucca. We (including gardener) call it "Palmlilie".

Some of your posts are funny... :thumb:

I love that Yucca (Palmlilie) sooo much... Thank you for advice, my dear K75...

We have other palm named Euphorbia here. It´s 5 feet tall in living room... :eek: It´s also almost 20 years old, too.
http://www.massey.ac.nz/~sglasgow/cactus/Euphorbia cherokee hybrid.jpg

i talked to my dad recently on the phone since he is foreman landscaper for 17 years.. he said you can put your palm tree outside by the house or shed .. digging deep as like 3 feet .. then buyin alot of fresh soils to around them.. water them as you can .. when gettin cold .. wrapping them as weaved brown like potato bag or thin bed sheet around it with rope around.. so it won't harm your palm tree!!

TOF

Holy Smokey! Liebling! Goodness! :eek:

That is one tall planet I ever seen, You sure did a very well job taking care of it. :giggle:

Hey Sis, You love me right? Why don't you give it to sweet Cheri? :fingersx:

Dont look at me I aint no greenthumb or dont have any knowledge about the plant. I had a plant when I was in college and my mom took care of it for about 10 yrs til it dies. See I aint no greenthumb lol

Pomeranian said:
Dont look at me I aint no greenthumb or dont have any knowledge about the plant.

Good thing you aren't babysitting my plants. :Ohno:

I googled "Palmlilie" and got pages saying it is Yucca. So, yes, it has to be yucca. ;)
http://www.net-garden.de/Foto-Seiten/Palmlilie.html
http://www.kuebelpflanzeninfo.de/zimmer/yucca.htm

I have three of them at my parents' home in NJ; and I have a red yucca here in my home in Utah. Yuccas are very popular plants in the West because it thrives on drought and hot conditions. I grow it outside in NJ and Utah and it will survive snow and cold too.

This link:
http://www.suedliche-traeume.de/Baume_u__Straucher/Palmlilie/palmlilie.html

tells you which plant can withhold cold temperature, some can withstand up to -30°C!!!

Here is a picture of one of my yucca plants in NJ:

Attachments

• yucca.jpg
    yucca.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 25
kuifje75 said:
I googled "Palmlilie" and got pages saying it is Yucca. So, yes, it has to be yucca. ;)
http://www.net-garden.de/Foto-Seiten/Palmlilie.html
http://www.kuebelpflanzeninfo.de/zimmer/yucca.htm

I have three of them at my parents' home in NJ; and I have a red yucca here in my home in Utah. Yuccas are very popular plants in the West because it thrives on drought and hot conditions. I grow it outside in NJ and Utah and it will survive snow and cold too.

This link:
http://www.suedliche-traeume.de/Baume_u__Straucher/Palmlilie/palmlilie.html

tells you which plant can withhold cold temperature, some can withstand up to -30°C!!!

Here is a picture of one of my yucca plants in NJ:

Yea there's a yucca close to my apt and it's here in Seattle and it doesn't get hot in the summer and I'm suprised it thrives here. :)

It is Dracaena fragans commonly known as corn plant. If you search the net, it might not look the same as your picture, but I guess if you let it grow for 20 years, it will be. Just simply cut it down to about 1 or 2 feet, and in a few weeks, you will have two or three new shoots right below the cut. Better yet, you can cut the wooden part into several smaller pieces about 1 foot long (since your plant is so tall, you'd have plenty) and put them partially in a water container. Each of the pieces will develop into daughter plant. Good luck!

Oh my gosh Liebling, that's plant is tall!!! :hitit: LOL

To solved your problem, just give it to me! :applause:

btw is that inside of your house?

Back