Hello

jwwstpete

Reaction score
Hello All:

I have to admit I feel some trepidation posting here, since I am new and just registered; not to mention that I have had very limited exposure to the deaf community and not all of it has been positive.

A little background about myself..

I am a 32 year-old, married, late deafened adult with serious HoH in the left ear and profound HoH in the right. I was raised orally, but my best friend in college (over 10 years ago) was a manually raised profound left/right. My exposure to the Deaf community comes through him and his memory.

I am still new to the d/Deaf community, including the HoH community, since I was raised and have lived in the Hearies world for so often until just recently when I got my diagnosis of serious/profound. I get my HAs on the 14th of this month and a little anxious.

I am looking for a place (either at the Community College level or otherwise) for some ASL teaching, since all of my professionals seem to think that my hearing will deteriorate to the point sometime in the near future that it will be nessisary.

Anyhow.. that's a bit about me.. any more questions (or if I flubbed up terminology or whatever), please correct me.

--= jwwstpete

Hi, jwwstpete. I am new here too and welcome. I hope this forum will help you find what you are looking for. =)

Good luck with your hearing aids. I grew up with hearing aids; then at the age of 16, I received a cochlear implant. I can completely understand the anticipation of getting something that would help improve hearing.

Good luck with the ASL classes as well! =)

Thanks!

Hi, jwwstpete. I am new here too and welcome. I hope this forum will help you find what you are looking for. =)

Good luck with your hearing aids. I grew up with hearing aids; then at the age of 16, I received a cochlear implant. I can completely understand the anticipation of getting something that would help improve hearing.

Good luck with the ASL classes as well! =)

Thank you! Has your Cochlear Implant been helpful? About 1/2 of the people I talk too absolutely love them, the others want to throw them out the window! Not to mention the stigmatization that the Deaf community places on them.

I hope yours has been a successful one and that you enjoy it!

Hi - hope you found the late deaf forum. It's great. You will absolutely learn so much, it's a great group. I too am lda. (late deaf adult) Profound in RE, severe in LE. have aids, and ald. (pbfllt) Don't worry about other's attitudes. Everyone has attitudes - some are just nicer than others. Smile

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Some of them work okay or great with CI. And some don't like CI because it is not working for them. So there are variety of levels for them to hear or could not hear well at all. Everyone is different with their hearing loss. It has nothing to do with the Deaf community putting them down because of CI. No big deal. Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Back