Hello! Wanting to bridge the gap.

MMcC

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Michael. I am hearing. When I was a child, my family lived next-door to a deaf family. Their son Mark and I would play almost everyday. They lived next to us for 3 years when I was 6-9 years old. Mark attended a Deaf school, while I went to regular hearing school. But, I learned ASL to sign with Mark so that we could play together and talk about our day.

Throughout my life, I have found brief moments to use ASL, but I always felt that I did not learn fully. I never took a class, but tried to continue using ASL when possible. Now, I would like to learn properly and perhaps make some friends in the Deaf Community. I am finally taking an ASL class and love it! I hope to meet many of you along the way.

Best regards,
Michael

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I am very happy that you attend ASL class. This is the way to do it. Sarasota should be a big city and should have Deaf community. Maybe you can call or go to the Deaf school and asked where you can go for Deaf events. I am hoping they will help you with that. Also maybe there might be Florida Hearing Society where you can ask for information on finding where you want to look for. Don't give up.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around. :wave:

Do you keep contact with him.It nice when people do this.put deaf little kids with other kids both learn from each other

Funny you should ask that, caz. My childhood friend and I recently reconnected through Facebook. We were both very happy to relive our memories. Our lives have taken such different paths. He went to Gallaudet, then Harvard and now works as an attorney serving the Deaf Community. We have been having an excellent conversation about deaf culture and the failure of hearing to understand that being deaf is not an illness or disease. I recently heard a woman in a coffee shop say as she watched a group signing that, "poor things... There should be a cure for that." I got so angry! The deaf group was so happy signing and having a good time, while this stupid hearing woman passed her twisted judgement on them. Perhaps there needs to be a cure for hearing people with prejudice.

Funny you should ask that, caz. My childhood friend and I recently reconnected through Facebook. We were both very happy to relive our memories. Our lives have taken such different paths. He went to Gallaudet, then Harvard and now works as an attorney serving the Deaf Community. We have been having an excellent conversation about deaf culture and the failure of hearing to understand that being deaf is not an illness or disease. I recently heard a woman in a coffee shop say as she watched a group signing that, "poor things... There should be a cure for that." I got so angry! The deaf group was so happy signing and having a good time, while this stupid hearing woman passed her twisted judgement on them. Perhaps there needs to be a cure for hearing people with prejudice.

I think it's was also ignorant of the woman to say that too. I was once talking to a woman at a peace rally and she was looking at me with pity when she saw my HA. I wanted to say something to the fool but I was with my grandchild and daughter . I just walked away from her.
I can't believe it , a cure for being deaf or hoh . :roll:

I think it's was also ignorant of the woman to say that too. I was once talking to a woman at a peace rally and she was looking at me with pity when she saw my HA. I wanted to say something to the fool but I was with my grandchild and daughter . I just walked away from her.
You equipt the kid with all the possible tools, and they can have an awesome life. Dhh is NOTHING! Send the money being wasted on possible cures for pediatric dhh, to REAL stuff......heck send it to late deafened people.

for me I found people more curious but I have had people patrozing both me and daughter...say poor little thing to her I just say convert the sympathy to money put it towards good education and care for her..not so sympathic then

for me I found people more curious but I have had people patrozing both me and daughter...say poor little thing to her I just say convert the sympathy to money put it towards good education and care for her..not so sympathic then

I told the manger of my condo if he leaving a phone to call him back
that difference from the phone # he using to please repeat the # so I can get it easier . The fool called me to today and was yelling into the phone in a monotone voice a phone # . I did not tell him to talk louder , I just wanted him to say the more than one , I do this when I leave my phone # . I did not like the way the guy was talking to on my phone , and I am sorry I said anything to the fool b/c he will doing all the time .

Back